Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many members of this Forum have read Jane Austen?

How many members of this Forum have read Jane Austen?

How many members of this forum have read Jane Austen's novels? I have read four of her works. The order in which I have read them was: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Predjudice, Mansfield Park, and Emma. And right now I am reading Persuasion with my younger sister. She hasn't read any of Austen's work, so I have decided to introduce them to her, by us reading them together outloud. I am not sure if the order, in which I have read her works, is the actual order in which she wrote them. If the order, in which I have read her novels,(up above) is not the order in which she herself wrote them, then could anyone, who knows the correct order, please inform me.
    Have any of the members read Austen's short works-Juvenilia? If anyone has, which one of them was your favorite? I haven't actual read any of her short works, but I am asking this question in order to find out which one I should read first. If anyone has some good websites about Jane Austen, that they can reccomend me, please send me the information. If anyone has anything intresting to tell about Jane Austen's life and works, I am very intrested. just send me a message. God Bless.

Blog Entries
    I've only read pride and prejudice and Emma, I'm afraid.
    Shall these bones live?

Blog Entries
    I've read Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Lady Susan.
    This is the list of the works by Jane Austen, according Wikipedia:

Novels:
    * Sense and Sensibility (1811)
    * Pride and Prejudice (1813)
    * Mansfield Park (1814)
    * Emma (1815)
    * Persuasion (1817) (posthumous)
    * Northanger Abbey (1817) (posthumous)

Unfinished works
    :
    * Lady Susan
    * The Watsons
    * Sanditon

I've read Mansfield Park (twice), Pride and Prejudice (several times), Persuasion, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Lady Susan and Sense and Sensibility.

(I've also watched Pride and Prejudice BBC-series and the 2004 movie (several times) and seen movie versions of Persuasion, Emma, Sense and Sensibility (twice) and Northanger Abbey )

I've also read some of her short stories (or short letter novels) and The Watsons, which was finished by someone else. I've also got Sanditon on my bookshelf (another one finished by someone else), but I haven't had time to read it yet.

(What do you mean I'm an Austen fan? )
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Nope and I don't really intend on it. I'm afraid I can't really be bothered with Victorian romantic novels, whether it be Austen or the Brontes. Not my thing.
    "In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine."
    - Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastmelon View Post

Novels:
    * Mansfield Park (1814)
    * Emma (1815)

Unfinished works
    :
    * Lady Susan
    * The Watsons
    * Sanditon
    yes but as far as i can recall, Northanger Abbey was the first one to be finished eventhough it was the last to be published. I think it had originally been rejected.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Yes, I seem to remember, also, it being the first story to be finished. Wasn't the length of time between completion and the actual printing almost 20 years apart? If I am correct, after Northanger Abbey was rejected it was later published along with Persuasion. I may be wrong on this fact, though. It seems awhile ago that I'd heard that.

Austen was in the Romantic Era not the Victorian Era.

I have read Pride and Prejudie, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Emma, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey so many times that I can quote multiple lines, and even paragraphs on cue. I am currently re-reading Northanger Abbey with my sister, to get her interested in the Austen books outside of the movies. Some adaptations are quite good, others are terrible.

The guy Austen originally sold Northanger Abbey to, under the title "Susan," left it sitting on his shelf for years. It was eventually bought back by her family, revised and published.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastmelon View Post

Novels:
    * Mansfield Park (1814)
    * Emma (1815)

Unfinished works
    :
    * Lady Susan
    * The Watsons
    * Sanditon
    thelastmelon,

Thank you for the information about Jane austen's books. What do you mean when you put posthumous after her novels Persuasion and Northanger Abbey?
    I did not realize that lady Susan was an unfinished work. Are you sure about that? Which of her novels do you like best? I really Love Pride and Prejudice, and Emma. This book that you are currently reading, what is it about?(Norwegia by Haruki Murakami)

Quote Originally Posted by Annamariah View Post
    I've read Mansfield Park (twice), Pride and Prejudice (several times), Persuasion, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Lady Susan and Sense and Sensibility.

(I've also watched Pride and Prejudice BBC-series and the 2004 movie (several times) and seen movie versions of Persuasion, Emma, Sense and Sensibility (twice) and Northanger Abbey )

I've also read some of her short stories (or short letter novels) and The Watsons, which was finished by someone else. I've also got Sanditon on my bookshelf (another one finished by someone else), but I haven't had time to read it yet.

(What do you mean I'm an Austen fan? )
    Boy, you are a Austen fan! You have read all her novels. I can see that you really like Pride and Prejudice the most. I have also watched the BBC series of Pride and Predjudice and the 2004 film. When you said that you have watched the BBC series, does that include the six hour AandE film of Pride and Predjudice? Of all the versions, I really like the AandE one best. I've also watched Emma,( Mirmax) Sense and Sensibility,(Columbia Pictures) and Persuasion.(AandE) Have you watched the recent film of Persuasion?( 2007, Masterpiece Theatre) I have not seen it yet, but I am going to see it soon.

Blog Entries
    Last week I went to the movies and saw The Jane Austen Book Club. I loved the movie so much that I went out and got the book and read it. I have just started Pride and Prejudice and I intend on reading all of her work. I love the BBC production of P&P and that is the only one that i will watch (There can only be one Mr Darcy for me)

lovingly in his eyes, snugly in his arms, safely in his heart...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joreads View Post
    Last week I went to the movies and saw The Jane Austen Book Club. I loved the movie so much that I went out and got the book and read it. I have just started Pride and Prejudice and I intend on reading all of her work. I love the BBC production of P&P and that is the only one that i will watch (There can only be one Mr Darcy for me)
    MAny people say that Colin Firth is the only Darcy, including my sister!
    But I really love the way MacFadyen was able to portray Darcy's pride, aloofness, and yet at the same time, have that look of utter admiration and awe for Lizzy...

I've read, well, P&P obviously. I studied this in high school, and I've read it many times after. I'm convinced that it's one of the best crafted love stories of all time...

I also recently read Northanger Abbey, and I'm in the process of reading Persuasion.
    "My warm hands have made the paper limp,
    So that its feel reminds me of slept-in sheets: comfortable and safe"

"All these things I say... I say them because I want you to know, I don't ever want to regret afterwards that I didn't say enough, I would rather say too much." ~ Samuel Selvon

I have read:
    Pride and Prejudice
    Sense and Sensibility
    Emma
    Northanger Abbey
    .... and I loved them all.
    "He lives most gaily who knows best how to deceive himself. Ha-ha!"
    - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

I think her books are charming, but then again, I've only read three of them.

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've only read Pride and Prejudice as it was part of my coursework once up on a time. I like the book but I will not invest much of my time in her writing. I would rather read George Eliot. I admire how Austin turns her limitations into her strengths, i-e her small canvas and her limited experience. She depicts what she knows and it may not be much but she depicts it with the accuracy of a miniaturist. I don't dislike Jane Austin but I am not an admirer of any of the English or even British novelists. Give me a Russian or a French or an Irish novelist any day but English novel is certainly not my cup of tea.
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I donít want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast