Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Hard back or Paper back?

Blog Entries

Hard back or Paper back?

A self explanatory title there
    Paper back or hard back books?
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyW View Post
    A self explanatory title there
    Paper back or hard back books?
    Erm mine is always "Hard Backed"....they last longer...I hate dog ears on paper backs
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Blog Entries
    paperbacks
    What Are You Crazy!!!

paperback =)
    "Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely

J. Ackson Jr.

Hardcover. Especially if I don't like it. I can get more money by selling them than paperbacks. Also, they make for better door-stops.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    I think I'm more into paperbacks...
    Haha I just read that and laughed at how sad it sounds
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Oh, I love both, really I cannot choose one over the other. I admit, though, that paperbacks are more convenient.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

It really doesn't matter to me which kind it is. Hardcover books are certainly nicer. But paperbacks are cheaper. So, I certainly have many more of those. As for choosing one kind, I suppose it would be paperbacks. That is mainly because of the fact that they are more affordable. I wait for so many books to be released as a paperback because the hardcover book (though I would like to have that kind) is just too expensive sometimes.

I dwell... in a place that is perpetually inhabited by beings of my kind, Rockistas, we call us... and so we continue to live in that place, in a world that is eternally moving, swept by the torrents of musical wind.
    Blog Entries
    Paperback, of course...

I find them much easier to bring from one place to anothr, being considerably lighter than their hardbound counterparts... aside from the fact that they're much, much cheaper. Hardbound books make great collectors' items, though

I buy my books in second-hand bookstores where they sell good books for very cheap prices, so what really matters is the content and not the manner of binding.
    Last edited by RoCKiTcZa; 02-14-2008 at 04:30 AM.
    Wish hard enough, I could turn it to what I like.

Fall Out Boy, "Tiffany Blews."

Quote Originally Posted by amalia1985 View Post
    Oh, I love both, really I cannot choose one over the other. I admit, though, that paperbacks are more convenient.
    I agree with you amalia. Hardbacks are nice to have, it's more difficult to ruin them (although I don't tend to use them as door stops, Dori!) but they're also heavy so I don't tend to take them with me. And unless you're bying second-hand, hardbacks are double the price of paperbacks!!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vheissu View Post
    I agree with you amalia. Hardbacks are nice to have, it's more difficult to ruin them (although I don't tend to use them as door stops, Dori!) but they're also heavy so I don't tend to take them with me. And unless you're bying second-hand, hardbacks are double the price of paperbacks!!
    Yes, exactly. You know, last summer, I had the "clever" idea to take three hardbacks with me on vacations... Well, you can imagine what happened....
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

Even my library &#37; 90 paperback I like both. But i would like a third one, if possible "spiral" back. Sounds not costly advantegous but may much easier to read than others.
    "an artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it." paul valery

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Hardback for books I am especially fond of want to keep good. Paperback for general reading
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Blog Entries
    I prefer hardcover. Usually I can buy only second hand hardcovers though, and buy newer books as paperbacks. The oldest paperback I own is from 1926 - and you can really see its age, while similar hardcovers and even much older books still look good.
    Čłowjek je dwójny, tež sam sebi. Tysacy słowow sym kaž paćerki stykał na swoje lĕta a na kóncu spóznał, zo ani jednoho słowa njeje, kotrež by jeho w ćĕle a duši we wšej wĕrnosći wĕrnje pomjenowało.

Quote Originally Posted by vheissu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amalia1985 View Post
    Yes, exactly. You know, last summer, I had the "clever" idea to take three hardbacks with me on vacations... Well, you can imagine what happened....
    What books are you guys (ladies) carrying around? Fully annotated editions of Shakespeare's collected works?

Being a student, I suppose I'm used to carrying 1-2 textbooks with me (much heavier than your average hardcover.

No offence, by the way. I'm just pulling your chain.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!