51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trash

14 27.45%
  • Literature

24 47.06%
  • Who cares?

13 25.49%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King: Trash, or Literature?

I really liked The Running Man - non-horror, more a sci-fi book. Apparently SK wrote it in a week, I found it an enjoyable read.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin.

yeah, I remember that one. he wrote it using the name Richard Bachman.
    "Dammit, Fighter! Stop thinking about The Family Circus!" (Black Mage, 8 Bit Theatre)

anyone out there know a good non horror King novel? (besides the previously mentioned Dolores Claiborne)
    Hearts in Atlantis? Dark Tower?

yeah, those are non horror
    "Dammit, Fighter! Stop thinking about The Family Circus!" (Black Mage, 8 Bit Theatre)

Lija, darkling writer Poe_writer's Avatar
    My favorite King books are The Shining and The Stand, although I do like (most of) The Dark Tower series. I've read The Stand about five times now, and probably will reread it every few years for the rest of my life. It's just so much fun to revisit those wonderful characters.

I had problems with the ending of the DT series, and now that I've read the last 3 a second time, I'm dealing with it better, but I still think it was a poor ending for a delightful series.
    I took the road less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    Robert Frost
    Postcards from the Asylum
    TeddyBears for charity

Iīve read some short stories of SK, and those I liked more are Riding the Bullet, Word-Processor of Gods, The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet and Shawshank Redemption. Of the novels, I enjoyed The Dead Zone, Pet Sematary, Dolores Claiborne.
    About the films, I think Dolores Claiborne and Misery were very good films (although the story was slightly different of the book), but kathy Bates saves both movies. Apt Pupil and Shawshank Redemtion were also very good (the latter was very well adapted from the book, vary faithfully).

About the short story about the man in an island with the broken leg and the heroin, itīs Survivor Type. I didīnt like it, thought it was very disgusting, all that self mutilation is not my taste...
    "Itīs our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"
    Albus Dumbledore, in HP and the Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling

My crafts website (in Portuguese): www.terracotabolsas.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm Cris
    About the films, I think Dolores Claiborne and Misery were very good films (although the story was slightly different of the book), but kathy Bates saves both movies. Apt Pupil and Shawshank Redemtion were also very good (the latter was very well adapted from the book, vary faithfully).
    Oh yes, Shawshank Redemption was a very good movie. The Green Mile was also a good adaptation of King's book.

King wrote a short story called "The Body" which was made into a film (I think in 1986) called Stand by Me. I did not read the story, but the movie remains one of my favorites. (It is non-horror, btw)
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

semper eadem
    I agree. Best film: Stand by Me. Best story: Hearts in Atlantis.
    There are both non-horror but pick up on his scares-mindsets of childhood theme.
    It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    I'm reading "The Eye of the Dragon" and I'm curious...does King have any other books where he uses a "fantasy" setting, with kings, princes, magicians, and dragons and such? Don't ruin the book for me, I'm not done yet
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

I'm not sure schannanigan. I didn't make it far into "eye of the dragon", wasn't in the mood for that type of stuff that day i guess.

"The Long Walk", that's proably my favorite King book, was a great story.
    Coming soon: "Spencer-Books.com"

Quote Originally Posted by jayson
    I'm not sure schannanigan. I didn't make it far into "eye of the dragon", wasn't in the mood for that type of stuff that day i guess.

"The Long Walk", that's proably my favorite King book, was a great story.
    Yep, it was a very good story. I loved the suspense in it and the end was confusing at first but great!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

The only Stephen King book that I have read was the Shining and it was great. The atmosphere was built up exceedingly well and it was terrifying at bits. I know that by many he is not considered a good writer but I beg to differ.

Is Stephen King literature?

Stephen King has a gift for characterization, and while his books are while very appreciated by the reading community, underappreciated in my opinion by the intellectuals.

Stephen King is my favorite author of all time. The thing that makes him great is his characterization. His books are about characters, amazingly drawn, going through their life, and then about half-way through something horrorific happenings. Or at least his best book, Salem's Lot.

Stephen King is the greatest author of pure characterization ever. If he made a book that was entirely characters going through their life, it would be an very good experience. But what he does is add horror to it, so it has so many facets and appeals that it notches it to an awesome experience.

The reason why stephen king is so awesome is and has always been is his characterization. His books (or at least the great ones) are first and foremost about developing the characters to death (in a good way).

If an author can write that well, his books (or at least his top books) should be considered literature the same Tolkien and Fitzgerald are.

What do you think?

Sure, I think he is a great writer. Remember, many authors who are famous now were scarcely read in their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Sure, I think he is a great writer. Remember, many authors who are famous now were scarcely read in their time.
    I wonder why Some of their work, seems to be garbage or not that great stuff that was overrated by intellectuals.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast