51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trash

14 27.45%
  • Literature

24 47.06%
  • Who cares?

13 25.49%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King: Trash, or Literature?

I have read a few books of his, but not anytime recently. Years ago, I read such books as The Shining, The Green Mile, Cujo, and Hearts In Atlantis. Mostly because I cannot call myself a big fan of the gruesome kinds of novels, I have avoided several of his novels. Regardless, I cannot deny his immense creativity, and, what I have heard as, his extensive education.

I've read most of his earlier works, I'd call myself a fan. I loved The Stand and The Talisman (not so crazy about the sequel). Oh and that other one about the Clown - sheesh I'm drawing such a blank right now -----I'll be Back!!

They all float down here. And you'll float too!!!!!
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Shannanigan
    I am currently reading The Shining; picked it up because I remember hearing about a movie by the same title and made the connection when I saw the book in a Goodwill store. I read King intemittently, though I keep promising myself that I'll get more into his works. I did read Cell earlier this summer, and it was decent, though I am enjoying The Shining much more. I remember reading Dreamcatcher years ago and enjoying it...then being angry at Hollywood's butchering of it in theaters...
    Yeah, Kubrick's version of "The Shining" is awesome although it's quite different to the novel. A couple other good adaptations of his novels I've seen are "The Green Mile" and "The Shawshank Redemption". "Dreamcatcher" is one of the worst movies of the last few years next to "Spiderman 2".
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

My favorite King novel is IT. That's the one about Pennywise the Clown, who lives down in the sewers underneath a small New England town. Pennywise assumes the guise of a clown so that he can lure little kids to their deaths. Nice guy, huh? In actual fact he's an ancient, pseudo-Lovecraftian monster that feeds on our deepest fears. And he can take the form of whatever each one of us is most afraid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Sue
    My favorite King novel is IT. That's the one about Pennywise the Clown, who lives down in the sewers underneath a small New England town. Pennywise assumes the guise of a clown so that he can lure little kids to their deaths. Nice guy, huh? In actual fact he's an ancient, pseudo-Lovecraftian monster that feeds on our deepest fears. And he can take the form of whatever each one of us is most afraid of.
    The ending of that book was so surreal, I don't even remember the details anymore because it's been such a long time since I've read it but I remember thinking at the time, "He must've been smoking some pretty potent stuff when he wrote that.".

The Stand remains my favorite King book, although I can't say I'm very well read in the Stephen King category and what I have read, I read a long time ago but The Stand still sticks out very firmly in my mind as a fascinating and powerful book and Randall Flagg stands out as an incredibly creepy villian.

currently reading Hearts in Atlantis and The Wastelands

Salem's Lot is great. Four Past Midnight is good (the best story there was "The Langoliers"). and also, I've read a few stories from Everything's Eventual. the first novel by King I read was Bag of Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Sue
    That's the one I was trying to remember!!!! hehe

Beep Beep

I love the short story about the guy that gets stranded on the desert island by himself with a broken foot and a butt load of heroin.

The Stand is awesome, It and Thinner are good reads too
    "Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents."

- Feste, Twelfth Night

"...till human voices wake us and we drown."

- Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Mark F.
    Yeah, Kubrick's version of "The Shining" is awesome although it's quite different to the novel.
    Indeed, though the film had some differences from the novel, I can never insult Stanley Kubrick's work of art in staging The Shining, partially, in fact, created not far from my home city, a hotel called Timberline Lodge.
    Overall, I tend to dislike many film adaptions, but with Stephen King's novels, many directors and producers, I think, have done well in film adaptions, primarily with The Shining, The Green Mile, and Hearts In Atlantis.

Blog Entries
    I liked several of King's books. Dolores Claiborne was more of a very character driven mystery story,rather than horror. I liked that King (at times, not always) can be empathetic, as he was in this novel.
    One of the worst King books, and a movie based on a King novel was (IMO)
    Christine.

Look out, killer, demonic car on the loose!!
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Quote Originally Posted by kathycf
    One of the worst King books, and a movie based on a King novel was (IMO)
    Christine.

Look out, killer, demonic car on the loose!!
    I'm with you on that one.

I just can't get into his 'car books'. I tried reading From A Buick 8 about three times before finally abandoning it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin.

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    Indeed, though the film had some differences from the novel, I can never insult Stanley Kubrick's work of art in staging The Shining, partially, in fact, created not far from my home city, a hotel called Timberline Lodge.
    Overall, I tend to dislike many film adaptions, but with Stephen King's novels, many directors and producers, I think, have done well in film adaptions, primarily with The Shining, The Green Mile, and Hearts In Atlantis.
    I heard that The Apt Pupil was also a very good film. I think I have the short story at home so I might read it one of these days.

I really like that some early Anthrax songs are about Stephen King books.

I agree. A novel about a killer car doesn't sound convincing.
    as a short story, I guess that would be OK (in fact, he did write a short story about killer vehicles (and other objects, I guess) called "Trucks"). But having that as the main idea of a novel.. eh... pass.

going along with what was mentioned, I'll add that another non horror character driven novel is Hearts in Atlantis. I haven't finished it yet, but so far there's no horror in it (and I doubt there will be).

I saw the movie Apt Pupil ages ago (liked it) and been meaning to see it again. also been meaning to read Four Past Midnight.

and those Anthrax songs are awesome. especially "Lone Justice" and "Among the Living"

anyone out there know a good non horror King novel? (besides the previously mentioned Dolores Claiborne)

(and before I forget.. I don't think King should be known as "that famous writer of scary and gruesome stories." I mean.. check out some of the movies like Green Mile or Stand By Me or the Dark Tower books).

I don't think The Green Mile qualifies as horrific, and the stories in Different Seasons are non horror (The Shawshank Redemption).

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast