51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trash

14 27.45%
  • Literature

24 47.06%
  • Who cares?

13 25.49%
Page 1 of 34 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King: Trash, or Literature?

Question Stephen King: Trash, or Literature?

I picked up the newspaper Canyon News and read the Star-gazing column, for those who don't live in LA, just go to www.canyonnewspaper.com look under Star-gazing, then go to Stephen's website. It's the column that mentions about a book that can't be published, its quite interesting.

Re: If you love Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by dreamylove4u
    I picked up the newspaper Canyon News and read the Star-gazing column, for those who don't live in LA, just go to www.canyonnewspaper.com look under Star-gazing, then go to Stephen's website. It's the column that mentions about a book that can't be published, its quite interesting.
    I don't read commercial fiction. Sorry.

Dont be sorry

I guess you prefer classic lit. Have you read the book, can't remember the title, the one that just won the Nobel prize?

Re: Dont be sorry

Stephen King, commercial lit? Lee, are you kidding or just mistaken? King has done nothing but bash 'popular' literature for four decades. C'mon. You should really check out his literary criticism, it's some of the best around (he's charmingly unpretentious). Furthermore, I mean, who else can craft a horror story with just a dog and a little dehydration?

Isn't it awesome

Did you read his column, isn't it awesome?

Re: Isn't it awesome

Not yet, I'll check it out tonight.

I really enjoyed it

You'll enjoy it. I didn't know about him writing a column. I read about it in Canyon News. Perhaps its common knowledge already.

I love Stephen King, but find some of his stuff to be trash, yet other stuff to be some of the most beautiful literature I've read, with delicate characterisations, intricate plot lines, and excellent philosophies on life. "Dreamcatcher" fits into this latter category.
    I cannot live without books.

---Thomas Jefferson

Re: Dont be sorry

Quote Originally Posted by AbdoRinbo
    King has done nothing but bash 'popular' literature for four decades. C'mon. You should really check out his literary criticism, it's some of the best around (he's charmingly unpretentious). Furthermore, I mean, who else can craft a horror story with just a dog and a little dehydration?
    That's correct. King's criticism is actually pretty good, and it is in fact underestimated, but the HUGE overestimation of his works compensates this. As a great TV show once said, Stephen King's greatest accoplishment is writing "boom" on a napkin and getting US$3,000 for it.

Stephen King

So anyone here into Stephen King?
    I'm currently reading his The Tommyknockers and I find it interesting.
    Discuss Stephen King here...
    Last edited by florencegale182; 07-19-2006 at 05:45 AM.

I have read The Long Walk and loved it. I am planning to try some other of his novels.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I'm a big SK fan. I especially enjoy his earlier work and his short stories, although I think recently he's slipped a bit.

I've just bought a copy of 'Cell' and will get around to reading it when I finish the book I'm reading now.

Zippy.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin.

Yeah, I like Stephen King. I've read The Shining, Cujo, Firestarter, Carrie, and The Stand. I loved The Stand so much I'm re-reading it now.

My favourite King novels are The Stand and Salem's Lot. It, The Shining and some others are also quite good, haven't read any in a long while though.
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    I am currently reading The Shining; picked it up because I remember hearing about a movie by the same title and made the connection when I saw the book in a Goodwill store. I read King intemittently, though I keep promising myself that I'll get more into his works. I did read Cell earlier this summer, and it was decent, though I am enjoying The Shining much more. I remember reading Dreamcatcher years ago and enjoying it...then being angry at Hollywood's butchering of it in theaters...

I'm sure I've read more, but can't remember titles. I know that I've never read one of his works and been disappointed, and that I usually read more of King when I'm in one of my EAP phases...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Page 1 of 34 12345611 ... LastLast