Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beat Generation

Blog Entries
    B-Mental, i must ask the same question to you that had been asked to Thoreau after he left Walden Pond:

if you had the best years of your life there, why'd you leave?
    jon1lit

Well jon1, I encountered a series of injuries, and had no insurance! I would still be there, if I could find a way to live below the poverty line with no insurance. IT IS the only reason I am where I am now! I would never have left. If you want more of an answer, I will describe the depridations I endured, just PM me.
    Last edited by B-Mental; 11-16-2007 at 04:19 AM.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Virtual Presence
    Quote Originally Posted by Starving Buddha View Post
    Well yes... But that is until you realize there isn't anything new. Nirvana is the extinguishing of the karmic fire (the fire of desire and fear). It is the idea that there is something more to experience here that keeps us returning to the cycle of suffering. Attachments- clinging to sense stimulai. Until we consciously break these fetters, we are prisoners.
    Yes, there is nothing new. Samsara doesn't change.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oh, i figured you were locked in your room listening to that newly released piece of recording of James Joyce reading Finnegan's Wake.

No... I'm actually sitting in my bean bag chair by the light of my lava lamp listening to In a Gadda da Vidda and pondering the profound Shakespearean depths of Peter Orlovsky's Clean A**hole Poems & Smiling Vegetable Songs.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    oh, i figured you were locked in your room listening to that newly released piece of recording of James Joyce reading Finnegan's Wake.

No... I'm actually sitting in my bean bag chair by the light of my lava lamp listening to In a Gadda da Vidda and pondering the profound Shakespearean depths of Peter Orlovsky's Clean A**hole Poems & Smiling Vegetable Songs.

good comeback darth vader. orlovsky was very likely a better lover than poet.
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post

OMG, tooooo funny.

Hey, this is a very good thread, guys! Carry on!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws View Post
    OMG, tooooo funny.

Hey, this is a very good thread, guys! Carry on!

well, um...looks like me and darth vader have our disagreements most of the time, but i can't help but like the guy, even if he's stuck in the age of antiquity. Fact: StLuke is on my Top 5 list for litnet guys i'd have a beer with, and not too long ago he even introduced me to some great piano sounds, Keith Jarrett, that i went on to buy. isn't that right, old sport?
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Need help with Beat poet Allen Ginsberg

I haven't read much of the Beat poets and am having a hard time understanding some poems by Allen Ginsberg. Could someone please help me out? The ones I'm struggling with are "A Supermarket in California" and "America." Thanks!

Can't Find Reference To This Poem Anywhere

I heard this poem over fifty years ago and haven't been able to find any reference to it anywhere. Here it is. Please forgive my spotty, incomplete memory and poor phrasing.

Jesus Christ, you made it
    Far out Jewish poet.
    Buggin' Roman cats
    Slippin' on the nail scene

Your mother Maryo, Pro
    Your father Joe,
    Odd jobber, carpenter

He might have made it
    In the garment district
    Instead of fathering a truth.

Would anyone know who wrote this? The title?

Thank you.

Hi, Edjer - I don't know the poem, but it looks like it could have been written by Coroso, perhaps. "Buggin' Roman cats" sounds like him, more than Ginsberg, or Kerouac. But I could be wrong.

Yes, I enjoy Beat poetry and Beat writing. "Howl & other poems" dragged my appreciation of poetry into the twentieth, and now the twenty first century. After reading mostly C19th century poetry at University - Ginsberg was a revelation - and took me on a journey away, and then back to the romantics & Blake.

I had to take a break from it though, because certainly in the UK, there was too much "bad beat poetry" at poetry slams. Terrible stuff by folk who believed the "first thought, best thought" line spun by the Beats, which the drafts of their work mostly disprove. (Oddly enough, Byron also tried to convince everyone he did not revise his work either).

I have come to the view that after 60 years, poetry needs to move forward from beat poetry.

That said, I'm currently trying to read Olson's The Maximus poems. If you have not seen him perform his poetry on youtube yet, I strongly suggest you do.

Thank you, sandy14. I also thought of Gregory Corso. I went through everything I could find on him. I found nothing. Thanks for the tip about the Maximus poems. Good stuff.

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Phillipa Fallon delivering a knock out piece.
    (note the fella playing the piano, that's uncle Fester from the Adams Family)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVOXxDV5BdI
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Post on the road questions....

Hi everyone,
    I am completing the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) as part of my final year at high school.
    As a part of the diploma, I must write an extended essay on a topic of my choice. For this, I have chosen to write mine on Jack Kerouac’s ‘On the Road’ and how the journey of Sal Paradise and the other “semi-intellectuals” is conveyed. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on this, and whether Sal really did grow as a person as he went back and forth across America...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123