View Poll Results: "The Name of the Rose" : Final Verdict

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

3 17.65%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

14 82.35%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: February / Italy Reading: The Name of the Rose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    yeah the first thing that went through my head was "hound of the baskerville"
    Yes, I agree and as I listen to the book on tape, I noticed a few references to dogs and vicious hounds in the beginning of the story as William proceeds with his investigation and thought - wow, "Hound of the Baskerviles". I will have to look up the passages to quote. Does anyone know if the book is available online - the text? Niamh, did you read the article that Hira posted from Wikepedia. It was quite interesting to note the parallels of the two - Holmes and William of Baskerville. First thing went through my head when I began listening was this guy acts just like Sherlock Holmes or thinks just like him.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    If you haven't read the novel, I can't see how you can relate the philosophies of Dante and William of Occam here as they relate to the novel.
    Is the relation to the novel vital? And that's why I proposed to get this somewhere else than here. Besides Ockham's philosophy is quite well represented (it is a novel, not a philosophical work though), I can't judge for myself, but I'll rely on Eco who is great academic of a subject in which Ockham is probably the most or one of the most important figures, and Claude Panaccio (who mentionned the Name of the Rose in a lecture about Ockham last semester) who is renown as one, if not the greatest, scholar of Ockham in the world. After that, you argue with them.

What are you going to do, give us the complete understanding of Dante and Occam?
    Eww... even if I wished I couldn't even get close to that, I haven't studied either philosophy in particular, I've merely scratched the surfaced, and that's probably an understatement.

There are librarie shelves filled with whole books on the subect.
    http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-name-of-the-rose/

Well then, discussion's over folks, close the topic: there are books on the subject.

I'm sorry, I corrected you in this topic, perhaps you took offense on that, I merely wanted to start a discussion as the subject grabbed my attention (what's best to improve one's knowledge than to delve into a subject and write -in vulgarization- about it?), and probably other's, I only wanted to offer a starting point to a discussion. If you think that's reasonable, then that's exactly what my previous post said.

At least I don't talk through my hat like you did, instead I want to discuss seriously about it, and what? Here's your answer? Then don't join in the discussion and continue to believe that Eco knows less about Ockham than you, and continue taking over-simplistic and unidimensional conclusions on the whole medieval thought based on 4 lines by Dante. You are so typical. But if you tell me what your problem is, exactly?
    Last edited by Etienne; 02-13-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Et l'unique cordeau des trompettes marines

Apollinaire, Le chantre

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Is the relation to the novel vital? And that's why I proposed to get this somewhere else than here. Besides Ockham's philosophy is quite well represented (it is a novel, not a philosophical work though), I can't judge for myself, but I'll rely on Eco who is great academic of a subject in which Ockham is probably the most or one of the most important figures, and Claude Panaccio (who mentionned the Name of the Rose in a lecture about Ockham last semester) who is renown as one, if not the greatest, scholar of Ockham in the world. After that, you argue with them.
    Ok as you wish. It just seems like a lot of work.

I'm sorry, I corrected you in this topic, perhaps you took offense on that
    No I didn't take offense. I just found it kind of weird that you would explain the novel when you haven't even read it. My first thought was , well maybe we can have an interesting discussion on this. But then you say you've never read the book.

I merely wanted to start a discussion as the subject grabbed my attention (what's best to improve one's knowledge than to delve into a subject and write -in vulgarization- about it?), and probably other's, I only wanted to offer a starting point to a discussion. If you think that's reasonable, then that's exactly what my previous post said.

At least I don't talk through my hat like you did, instead I want to discuss seriously about it,
    Ok, ok, go right ahead. I was sincerely asking about William of Occam a few posts up.

You are so typical. But if you tell me what your problem is, exactly?
    Well, I guess we got off on the wrong foot. Let's move on and perhaps we can find some common ground.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    I read "the name of the rose" a few years ago, and just in browsing through it again, I remember now, how much parts of the story reminded me of Borges "labyrinths"... especially "the library"... not quite the same, well not the same at all for that matter... but it just seemed to me, to always conjure up images of Borges' work... anyone else find this, or am I crazy? really I could be, so be honest? haha

just think of the searching and the passages and the forms, all so important in Eco's descriptions, as though they came right out of Borges...

I am so sorry that I had to miss this discussion Stupid exams!
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Yes, I agree and as I listen to the book on tape, I noticed a few references to dogs and vicious hounds in the beginning of the story as William proceeds with his investigation and thought - wow, "Hound of the Baskerviles". I will have to look up the passages to quote. Does anyone know if the book is available online - the text? Niamh, did you read the article that Hira posted from Wikepedia. It was quite interesting to note the parallels of the two - Holmes and William of Baskerville. First thing went through my head when I began listening was this guy acts just like Sherlock Holmes or thinks just like him.
    Yep, you can find it over bibliomania.com/0/0/182/1031/frameset.html here.

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
    The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
    Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

From Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard ~ Thomas Gray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hira View Post
    Yep, you can find it over bibliomania.com/0/0/182/1031/frameset.html here.
    Hira, you must have misunderstood me. I meant the text to "The Name of the Rose". I can't find that anywhere online. But thanks for the link to the other book; might come in handy someday. Right now I am reading too much to read that, also.

Lolol Okay. Don't think 'The Name of the Rose' would be available, coz of copyright reasons.

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
    The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
    Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

From Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard ~ Thomas Gray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hira View Post
    Lolol Okay. Don't think 'The Name of the Rose' would be available, coz of copyright reasons.
    It is hard to quote books that are still under copyright laws. One has to type everything out. I imagine you are right about that and that is why I have not located it - only to buy online.

Blog Entries

The Name of the Rose

I have just recently started reading The Name of the Rose Umberto Eco, and there is one thing which I could not help but to notice. I am currently nearly finnished with Day One, After Nones, and they were descirbing what the illuminations of the monk Adelmo and I found that there seemed to be a strong resemblence between the works of Adelmo, and the art work of Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch.

A collection of his works can be seen here:

http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bosch/bosch.html

I found this similiarity to be quite currious and was wondering if it was just a pure conincidence of if perhaps there was something more behind it then that.

Though the book is set in the 1300's and Bosh painted in the late 1400's to early 1500's, he was a relgious man but I cannot find any real connection between him and the story. His style of painting was quite unique and still is.
    Last edited by Dark Muse; 02-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I have just recently started reading The Name of the Rose Umberto Eco, and there is one thing which I could not help but to notice. I am currently nearly finnished with Day One, After Nones, and they were descirbing what the illuminations of the monk Adelmo and I found that there seemed to be a strong resemblence between the works of Adelmo, and the art work of Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch.

A collection of his works can be seen here:

http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bosch/bosch.html

I found this similiarity to be quite currious and was wondering if it was just a pure conincidence of if perhaps there was something more behind it then that.

Though the book is set in the 1300's and Bosh painted in the late 1400's to early 1500's, he was a relgious man but I cannot find any real connection between him and the story. His style of painting was quite unique and still is.
    Dark Muse, that is interesting. Thanks for providing the link. I know Bosch's work well and have long been fascinated by it. I would love to further my knowlege of his paintings. I know his painting "Hell" from art college days. He certainly was inovative. Yes, I too wonder, if Eco got some ideas from his work. Of course, there are other artists who do similiar things.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I found the bits of Latin simple first year stuff. Don't people have to take at least a year of Latin to graduate High School?

Blog Entries
    Well I know at least in the U.S. they do not any longer, I think they use to at one time, but now it is no longer required.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Oh I'm going to post something on the marginalia. It is an interesting phenomena from the middle ages. I can't right now. But what makes an interesting comparison with the marginalia is the description of the art on the church door that Adso notices. Compare the church door art (which Eco goes on for about six pages) and the maginalia (which Eco goes on for about four pages). Such extended descriptions carry significance.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    I found the bits of Latin simple first year stuff. Don't people have to take at least a year of Latin to graduate High School?
    No, but I wish I did.

I can look up most of the latin words and phrases if anyone wants me to.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT