View Poll Results: "The Name of the Rose" : Final Verdict

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

3 17.65%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

14 82.35%
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: February / Italy Reading: The Name of the Rose

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

February / Italy Reading: The Name of the Rose

In February, we will be reading Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

Please post your comments here.

Eco, an Italian philosopher and best-selling novelist, is a great polymathic fabulist in the tradition of Swift, Voltaire, Joyce, and Borges. The Name of the Rose, which sold 50 million copies worldwide, is an experimental medieval whodunit set in a monastic library. In 1327, Brother William of Baskerville arrives to investigate heresy among the monks in an Italian abbey; a series of bizarre murders overshadows the mission. Within the mystery is a tale of books, librarians, patrons, censorship, and the search for truth in a period of tension between the Papacy and the Holy Roman Empire. The book became a hit despite some obscure passages and allusions. This deftly abridged version, ably performed by Theodore Bikel, retains the genius of the original but is far more accessible. Foucault's Pendulum, Eco's second novel, is a bit irritating. The plot consists of three Milan editors who concoct a series on the occult for an unscrupulous publishing house that Eco ridicules mercilessly. The work details medieval phenomena including the Knights Templar, an ancient order with a scheme to dominate the world. Unfortunately, few listeners will make sense of this failed thriller. The Island of the Day Before is an ingenious tale that begins with a shipwreck in 1643. Roberta della Griva survives and boards another ship only to find himself trapped. Flashbacks give us Renaissance battles, the French court, spies, intriguing love affairs, and the attempt to solve the problem of longitude. It's a world of metaphors and paradoxes created by an entertaining scholar. Tim Curry, who also narrates Foucault's Pendulum, provides a spirited narration. Ultimately, libraries should avoid Foucault's Pendulum, but educated patrons will form an eager audience for both The Name of the Rose and The Island of the Day Before.
    http://www.amazon.com/Name-Rose-Ever...1906450&sr=8-2
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Anyone else started reading yet? Just got through the first chapter myself, haven't had much time. Did anyone else find it odd that the priests greeted each other with a kiss on the lips, rather than the cheek? I found myself wondering if this used to be common and when it changed?

So far I've read the first day. I found it strange too how "friendly" they are at greetings. I think it was Adso whos greeted by Ubertino and he said "My master introduced me, and the old man stroked my cheek, with a warm, almost burning hand."
    That doesn't come off as a common gesture of todays standards.
    I guess the friendly english handshake hasn't been invented yet.
    "Get thee to a nunnery."

That was common practice back then. I think Eco did a great job, since he perhaps is the most qualified person at doing this, at recreating the medieval times.

Just a side note...I wish they would have a little footnote translator. There's alot of Latin and they speak it back and forth mixing it with the translation. Its good so far...just makes me feel like I'm missing something.
    "Get thee to a nunnery."

Yeah, I am having a bit of a problem with Latin too. So if anyone knows Latin, what does this
    Monasterium sine libris,” the abbot recited, pensively, “est sicut civitas opibus, castrum sine numeris, coquina sine suppellectili, mensa cine cibis, hortus sine herbis, partum sine floribus, arbor sine foliis
    and this

Omnis mundi creatura
    Quasi liber et picture
    Nobis est in speculum
    mean?

I have just read around 40 pages at the moment, till the meeting of William and Abo. I do find it interesting, the references to the Anti-Christ and the fact that in almost every age, people consider their own times to be the darkest. The End is Nigh story.

And always, always look back to the glory of the past.

Anyway, I am loving the book at the moment. With the way Eco is re-creating the medieval world as JBI says. My pace is very slow though. Very very slow.

Full many a gem of purest ray serene
    The dark unfathom'd caves of ocean bear:
    Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

From Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard ~ Thomas Gray

Blog Entries
    I'm going to start reading later this week. I can't wait actually.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

so I dub thee unforgiven ntropyincarnate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ok...so as far as I can figure out (haven't had time to work on the other one yet)

Omnis mundi creatura
    Quasi liber et picture
    Nobis est in speculum

means

All of the created world is, as it were, a book, and portrayed to us as if in a mirror.

don't count on that being correct though, I'm only in Latin 3, I still have a lot to learn...

so the other one was easier when I actually looked at it, I couldn't figure out what suppellectili is but I got most of the rest.

"A monastery without books is like a citizen without work, a camp without numbers (doesn't make sense, but that's what it means), a kitchen without (suppellectili), a table without food, a garden without herbs, a meadow without flowers, a tree without leaves..."
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

Quote Originally Posted by ntropyincarnate View Post
    so the other one was easier when I actually looked at it, I couldn't figure out what suppellectili is but I got most of the rest.

"A monastery without books is like a citizen without work, a camp without numbers (doesn't make sense, but that's what it means), a kitchen without (suppellectili), a table without food, a garden without herbs, a meadow without flowers, a tree without leaves..."
    I wish they would have translated it out. That itself is poetic.
    "Get thee to a nunnery."

anyone else get bored/lost with the description of the Aedificium, at the first abbey?

and im not a mountaineer or anything but camp without numbers may have something to do with numbering such as Everest camp 1,2,3, and 4, with camps along the way tothe summit?
    Last edited by Wakaba; 02-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.

so I dub thee unforgiven ntropyincarnate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was so lost on that description, but for some reason it was incredibly funny to read aloud.

I looked up "castrum" and "numero" again for alternate translations, and I found something that makes a little bit more sense: "Armies without ranks."
    Snow White is doing dishes again, 'cause what else can you do with seven itty bitty men?

I was lost too. It kept jumping around to different descriptions and I couldn't tell what he was trying to say. I like the arugement on whether Jesus ever laughed and is laughter evil and sinful...it's something I never thought about.
    "Get thee to a nunnery."

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tersely View Post
    Just a side note...I wish they would have a little footnote translator. There's alot of Latin and they speak it back and forth mixing it with the translation. Its good so far...just makes me feel like I'm missing something.
    When I read the book, I felt the same way too, Tersely. Footnotes would have made the reading more enjoyable.

I liked most of the descriptions and especially the parts providing political and historical information. It is amazing to see that politics have been dirty from the start, even within the Church.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    When I read the book, I felt the same way too, Tersely. Footnotes would have made the reading more enjoyable.

I liked most of the descriptions and especially the parts providing political and historical information. It is amazing to see that politics have been dirty from the start, even within the Church.
    Governemnt, church, school board, family get to together - politics is always dirty.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    This book is a learned look at the life of wisdom...please read and participate...I will too. B
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast