Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of many by Einstein

One of many by Einstein

I have had the following quote memorized for some time, and recently re-discovered its useful meaning, having an internal locus of control.

"The problems we face today cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives.
    Albert Einstein

Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted.
    --Albert Einstein

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

-- Albert Einstein

Through the deep wood, the slanting sunlight
    Casts motley patterns on the jade-green mosses.
    No glimpse of man in this lonely mountain,
    Yet faint voices drift on the air.

~ Wang Wei

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Einstein said a lot of great things my favourite is "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
    This site contains most of them.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Blog Entries
    gorgeous, kilted.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile
    Einstein said a lot of great things my favourite is "He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."
    This site contains most of them.
    I think I remember reading this in a book of his that I have, called Ideas and Opinions, written by Albert Einstein, himself.
    Thanks, kilted - very classic!

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    I had lost my book of quotes but have found it now, other than Kilted siggy which are one of my favs from Einstine I like:
    "learning is an experiance, everything else is just information."
    and
    "Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Another good one I read today:
    He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Some of my favorite quotes from this brilliant human being:

"We know nothing at all. All our knowledge is but the knowledge of schoolchildren. The real nature of things we shall never know."

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

A rather strange quote by a man so dedicated to science and one I have often wondered exactly what he really meant when he said it is:

"If the facts do not fit the theory, change the facts."

Anyone have any comment? I would find it extremely odd for Einstein to "fake" data, for he was a true scientist. So what did he mean?
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    I think Einstein was implying that you need to start at the begining and see if the facts are accurate, applicable, and relevant. You have to remember that Einstein was working in a field at a time when maybe only one hundred other people were. He wasn't implying one should fake data, but review in light of the results. I would express this as, "If at first you don't succeed, learn from your mistakes and try again."
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by B-Mental
    I think Einstein was implying that you need to start at the begining and see if the facts are accurate, applicable, and relevant. You have to remember that Einstein was working in a field at a time when maybe only one hundred other people were. He wasn't implying one should fake data, but review in light of the results. I would express this as, "If at first you don't succeed, learn from your mistakes and try again."
    Or perhaps, like this, for as I said, I can't see him faking data: "If the facts do not fit the theory you need NEW facts..."
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon
    A rather strange quote by a man so dedicated to science and one I have often wondered exactly what he really meant when he said it is:

"If the facts do not fit the theory, change the facts."

Anyone have any comment? I would find it extremely odd for Einstein to "fake" data, for he was a true scientist. So what did he mean?
    He could be joking, he was known for his dark humor.

My favourite by far is this:
    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

I love the use of the word spirits instead of minds, implying that your iq means nothing, your will does. In today's society of fashions the one's that wish to actually use their brains and eventually may have different ideas on life and people are "weird", "strange".

Well, proud weird guy in this corner.
    And I'm not just saying I actually do it, even when it gets really hard.

Warning Contains Nuts! Melancholia's Avatar
    A brilliant one.

"Only two things are infinite the universe and human stupidity... And i am not too sure about the first"
    "Is that we see or seem but a dream inside a dream?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast