Thread: Hello (warning: long-winded introduction)

Postgraduate Student Stephen Dedalus's Avatar

Exclamation Hello (warning: long-winded introduction)

Hello – I thought I would write and introduce myself to the forum - so here it is, my introduction for your delectation (or something like that, anyway).

I am a 25 year old Postgraduate student living in Hertfordshire, just north of London, in the UK. I have always been passionate about literature and I enjoy an eclectic range of fiction, poetry and non-fiction.

In career terms, I originally trained as an engineer and I have spent a large amount of my career as a project manager (yawn). I always found the work dull and uninspiring – I supposed I chose this career at a young age to please my family. To be honest, I was equally proficient in science and the arts, and I could really have picked anything. Anyway, while working in this role I saved as much money as I could and I funded my Bachelors degree as a means of escape. Over the last year I have made some huge changes in my life, quitting my job to follow my dream of studying literature at Postgraduate level. Thus, I am now enjoying every moment of my exploration in the wonderful world of literature!

The first author who I fell in love with, and read again and again, is Charles Bukowski. I still name him among my favourite authors despite my tastes having matured since those early days. Reading Bukowski at a young and impressionable age helped me to begin my journey. He was my companion throughout my teen angst (!) and what a good friend - he introduced me to Dostoevsky, Franz Kafka, Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Knut Hamsen, D.H. Lawrence, James Joyce, and also to classical music - so began an incredible adventure in literature and music.

My favourite authors include: James Joyce, George Gissing, Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens, Homer, Shakespeare, Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Franz Kafka, Fyodor Dostoevsky, George Orwell, Knut Hamsen, John Fante, Charles Bukowski, Albert Camus, J.D. Salinger, D.H. Lawrence and there are, of course, many more that I have neglected to mention here.
    I also love poetry, my favourite poets including T.S. Eliot, W.B. Yeats, D.H. Lawrence and Thomas Hardy. I particularly enjoy Modernist novels and poetry.
    Pushed to name my favourite novel of all time, I would be extremely evasive and try to give a huge list of works that have touched me... however, if you woke me up in the middle of the night and demanded an answer, I would say, undoubtedly, that Ulysses by James Joyce is the greatest and most incredible work I have ever read (also the most complex and challenging).

I enjoy classical music and my favourite composer is Gustav Mahler. I also enjoy listening to the 'three Bs', i.e. Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mozart, Handel, Elgar and Sibelius.

I have picked the name Stephen Dedalus (a character from Joyce's novels) to represent my escape from the labyrinth of my past (i.e. the job that I despised) to follow my dream of studying literature. If you don't understand the link, then I can suggest no better way of working it out than by reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (another favourite novel).

I think that’s about it for now. I hope that I will enjoy using the forum and that I will have some fantastic discussions about literature and art here.

Yours Faithfully,
    Stephen Dedalus.

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a great intro for us to get to know you better Stephen You will find many here of like-mind; welcome to LitNet!
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Many thanks Logos - I look forward to meeting more like-minded people and sharing some interesting dicussions!

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome! ♥
    Shall these bones live?

Blog Entries
    Welcome on board
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Welcome
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Ooh, a Mahler fan. Nice! Welcome, Stephen Dedalus. (excellent username ) I think you'll enjoy it here.

Thanks for all the replies!

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ooh, a Mahler fan. Nice!

Yes, we can always do with another Mahler fan... as long as you realize that Bach is God.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

At the boundary of oblivion, a little past the point of no return, balanced on a razor's edge
    Blog Entries
    Welcome! Cool avatar
    If it's worth complaining about, it's completely worth doing yourself!

Hello, and welcome! I'm relatively new too. If you could check out the Joyce forums and answer my questions (honest ones!), I'd really appreciate it!

Blog Entries
    Hello,Stephen Dedalus.I am impressed with your introduction but what mosly touches me is your passion for literature.You are one of those few peoples that can be takes as an example:you wisely knew how to use your passion.

I believe that you will find very good company here;I know I am on the right track.Your passion will not go unnoticed and unevaluated.I hope that you enjoy as much as you can,while also sharing with us your opinions on certain matters of literature that are considered precious and delicate.
    You forget that the kingdom of heaven suffers violence: and the kingdom of heaven is like a woman.
    James Joyce

It is a fatal miscarriage, so ill to order affairs, as to pass for a fool in one company, when in another you might be treated as a philosopher. Jonathan Swift

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    You have no doubt settled in, having created this thread five months ago, and I, occupied in the chamber (a fourth shake was not the cause of the delay), am late to welcome a guest: welcome.

Ernest Hemingway, like Charles Bukowski to you and Virgil to Dante, has been my guide through both the inferno and purgatorio, but he could not venture into paradise. I am indebted to him and his influence will never wane.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Hello Kinch, wellcome to litnet.
    "an artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it." paul valery

Ucaidian Warrior
    Wow! Great intro! Welcome to Litnet