Thread: Ahab as Christ Figure

Melville Guy

Ahab as Christ Figure

In Robert Milder's book, Exiled Royalties, he makes an interesting point about how one can view Ahab as a Christological figure. This of course depends on whom you believe to be the hero of the tale, as well as how you view the whale. Ahab indeed creates a new covenant with the crew, using his blood as a baptism of sorts, and he even holds his own mass, a dark mass of courser, but still. If you view the whale as a satanic deity, then Ahab becomes a salvific figure, or in the least, a martyr. Or, perhaps, and even more intriguing, he becomes a failed messenger of God. It's interesting to look at the book in these terms, although I don't. I still believe there is too much of Milton's Satan in him to be heroic. If anything, he is an anti-hero, a Melvillean figure run wild with passion and pride. Nonetheless, he remains an interesting figure.
    "I am madness maddened." -Ahab

IMHO: The idea behind Ahab reflects man on the journey or road of bitterness as revenge might have it. This is a 'copy' if you will, not literally but much of the idea behind the book of Jonah and the whale. Ishmael was warned by Elijah, and ignored God's warning. When man ignores God's warning he often prepares a storm and a fish of immense proportions to get our attention and turn our life back to Him. God used Ahab and his hardened heart to discipline Ishmael for his disobedience. This is a book of God's sovereignty in spite of ourselves, He will accomplish that which He wills in spite of our rebelliousness to Him. It is also a story of God's salvation...we all go through storms in our life, we all have whales we seek to destroy in our past, but we must choose to leave the past and in many cases forgive. Many people like Ahab are angry at God for allowing us to suffer, and when all we can see is the suffering on our part, then we become bitter and selfish like Ahab. We have Many philosophies in this literary masterpiece. I perceive that Melville was a Christian.

Thanks!

I know you posted a long time ago, and maybe you won't get this note, but wanted to thank you for the reference to "Exiled Royalties." Moby Dick is my favorite book, too, and I'm enjoying "Exiled Royalties". Have you read "Herman Melville" by Newton Arvin? Also good.

Incidentally, I think there is Christ symbolism *and* Satan symbolism in Ahab. For me, that is a (perhaps *the*) major theme in Melville's work -- ambiguity. White is at once no color and all colors, etc.
    Kae

Blog Entries
    I see nothing Christlike in Ahab whatsoever. He is about as far from Christ as you can get.
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any Christ-like image to Ahab, either. If anything, I see the exact opposite... something akin the Milton's Satan who rails against God and nature.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I don't see any Christ-like image to Ahab, either. If anything, I see the exact opposite... something akin the Milton's Satan who rails against God and nature.
    I agree.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

leitskev

my thoughts

I am reading Moby for the first time since high school. It strikes me that there is no doubt that Ahab is Christ, and his nemesis, the great white whale, is the creator. You might also call Ahab the anti-Christ, leading his disciples to their destruction in his attempt to slay God the creator. But this is not a religious tome. Ahab represents man's frustration at being birthed conscious into an existence where he is doomed to live briefly and then descend into everlasting sleep. Death haunts all conscious life. Ahab seeks to slay that which cannot be slayed. We are drawn irrevocably to the eternal and infinite sea just as we are drawn to our own death. drawn to consideration of our own ceasing consciousness. God, the great white pure beast, is spawned from the eternal and infinite sea. It can't be destroyed. You may strike at it and hasten your own demise. The Christ himself attempted such a blow and was killed on the cross. The whalers are at home with death because they are not fully conscious. They have learned to ignore it, to suppress their full consciousness. Ahab promises not life...but the gift of full consciousness in inevitable death. That is the most salvation that can be achieved.

My amateur thoughts on it anyway