Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I came to Islam..by Yousef Islam(CatStevens)

How I came to Islam
    By Yusuf Islam
    January 1st, 1985

All I have to say is all what you know already, to confirm what you already know, the message of the Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) as given by God - the Religion of Truth. As human beings we are given a consciousness and a duty that has placed us at the top of creation. Man is created to be God's deputy on earth, and it is important to realize the obligation to rid ourselves of all illusions and to make our lives a preparation for the next life. Anybody who misses this chance is not likely to be given another, to be brought back again and again, because it says in Qur'an Majeed that when man is brought to account, he will say, "O Lord, send us back and give us another chance." The Lord will say, "If I send you back you will do the same." I was brought up in the modern world of all the luxury and the high life of show business. I was born in a Christian home, but we know that every child is born in his original nature - it is only his parents that turn him to this or that religion. I was given this religion (Christianity) and thought this way. I was taught that God exists, but there was no direct contact with God, so we had to make contact with Him through Jesus - he was in fact the door to God. This was more or less accepted by me, but I did not swallow it all. I looked at some of the statues of Jesus; they were just stones with no life. And when they said that God is three, I was puzzled even more but could not argue. I more or less believed it, because I had to have respect for the faith of my parents. Gradually I became alienated from this religious upbringing. I started making music. I wanted to be a big star. All those things I saw in the films and on the media took hold of me, and perhaps I thought this was my God, the goal of making money. I had an uncle who had a beautiful car. "Well," I said, "he has it made. He has a lot of money." The people around me influenced me to think that this was it; this world was their God. I decided then that this was the life for me; to make a lot of money, have a 'great life.' Now my examples were the pop stars. I started making songs, but deep down I had a feeling for humanity, a feeling that if I became rich I would help the needy. (It says in the Qur'an, we make a promise, but when we make something, we want to hold onto it and become greedy.) So what happened was that I became very famous. I was still a teenager, my name and photo were splashed in all the media. They made me larger than life, so I wanted to live larger than life and the only way to do that was to be intoxicated (with liquor and drugs).

IN HOSPITAL

After a year of financial success and 'high' living, I became very ill, contracted TB and had to be hospitalized. It was then that I started to think: What was to happen to me? Was I just a body, and my goal in life was merely to satisfy this body? I realized now that this calamity was a blessing given to me by Allah, a chance to open my eyes - "Why am I here? Why am I in bed?" - and I started looking for some of the answers. At that time there was great interest in the Eastern mysticism. I began reading, and the first thing I began to become aware of was death, and that the soul moves on; it does not stop. I felt I was taking the road to bliss and high accomplishment. I started meditating and even became a vegetarian. I now believed in 'peace and flower power,' and this was the general trend. But what I did believe in particular was that I was not just a body. This awareness came to me at the hospital. One day when I was walking and I was caught in the rain, I began running to the shelter and then I realized, 'Wait a minute, my body is getting wet, my body is telling me I am getting wet.' This made me think of a saying that the body is like a donkey, and it has to be trained where it has to go. Otherwise, the donkey will lead you where it wants to go. Then I realized I had a will, a God-given gift: follow the will of God. I was fascinated by the new terminology I was learning in the Eastern religion. By now I was fed up with Christianity. I started making music again and this time I started reflecting my own thoughts. I remember the lyric of one of my songs. It goes like this: "I wish I knew, I wish I knew what makes the Heaven, what makes the Hell. Do I get to know You in my bed or some dusty cell while others reach the big hotel?" and I knew I was on the Path. I also wrote another song, "The Way to Find God Out." I became even more famous in the world of music. I really had a difficult time because I was getting rich and famous, and at the same time, I was sincerely searching for the Truth. Then I came to a stage where I decided that Buddhism is all right and noble, but I was not ready to leave the world. I was too attached to the world and was not prepared to become a monk and to isolate myself from society. I tried Zen and Ching, numerology, tarot cards and astrology. I tried to look back into the Bible and could not find anything. At this time I did not know anything about Islam, and then, what I regarded as a miracle occurred. My brother had visited the mosque in Jerusalem and was greatly impressed that while on the one hand it throbbed with life (unlike the churches and synagogues which were empty), on the other hand, an atmosphere of peace and tranquillity prevailed.

THE QUR'AN

When he came to London he brought back a translation of the Qur'an, which he gave to me. He did not become a Muslim, but he felt something in this religion, and thought I might find something in it also. And when I received the book, a guidance that would explain everything to me - who I was; what was the purpose of life; what was the reality and what would be the reality; and where I came from - I realized that this was the true religion; religion not in the sense the West understands it, not the type for only your old age. In the West, whoever wishes to embrace a religion and make it his only way of life is deemed a fanatic. I was not a fanatic, I was at first confused between the body and the soul. Then I realized that the body and soul are not apart and you don't have to go to the mountain to be religious. We must follow the will of God. Then we can rise higher than the angels. The first thing I wanted to do now was to be a Muslim. I realized that everything belongs to God, that slumber does not overtake Him. He created everything. At this point I began to lose the pride in me, because hereto I had thought the reason I was here was because of my own greatness. But I realized that I did not create myself, and the whole purpose of my being here was to submit to the teaching that has been perfected by the religion we know as Al-Islam. At this point I started discovering my faith. I felt I was a Muslim. On reading the Qur'an, I now realized that all the Prophets sent by God brought the same message. Why then were the Jews and Christians different? I know now how the Jews did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and that they had changed His Word. Even the Christians misunderstand God's Word and called Jesus the son of God. Everything made so much sense. This is the beauty of the Qur'an; it asks you to reflect and reason, and not to worship the sun or moon but the One Who has created everything. The Qur'an asks man to reflect upon the sun and moon and God's creation in general. Do you realize how different the sun is from the moon? They are at varying distances from the earth, yet appear the same size to us; at times one seems to overlap the other. Even when many of the astronauts go to space, they see the insignificant size of the earth and vastness of space. They become very religious, because they have seen the Signs of Allah. When I read the Qur'an further, it talked about prayer, kindness and charity. I was not a Muslim yet, but I felt that the only answer for me was the Qur'an, and God had sent it to me, and I kept it a secret. But the Qur'an also speaks on different levels. I began to understand it on another level, where the Qur'an says, "Those who believe do not take disbelievers for friends and the believers are brothers." Thus at this point I wished to meet my Muslim brothers.

CONVERSION

Then I decided to journey to Jerusalem (as my brother had done). At Jerusalem, I went to the mosque and sat down. A man asked me what I wanted. I told him I was a Muslim. He asked what was my name. I told him, "Stevens." He was confused. I then joined the prayer, though not so successfully. Back in London, I met a sister called Nafisa. I told her I wanted to embrace Islam and she directed me to the New Regent Mosque. This was in 1977, about one and a half years after I received the Qur'an. Now I realized that I must get rid of my pride, get rid of Iblis, and face one direction. So on a Friday, after Jumma' I went to the Imam and declared my faith (the Kalima) at this hands. You have before you someone who had achieved fame and fortune. But guidance was something that eluded me, no matter how hard I tried, until I was shown the Qur'an. Now I realize I can get in direct contact with God, unlike Christianity or any other religion. As one Hindu lady told me, "You don't understand the Hindus. We believe in one God; we use these objects (idols) to merely concentrate." What she was saying was that in order to reach God, one has to create associates, that are idols for the purpose. But Islam removes all these barriers. The only thing that moves the believers from the disbelievers is the salat. This is the process of purification.

Finally I wish to say that everything I do is for the pleasure of Allah and pray that you gain some inspirations from my experiences. Furthermore, I would like to stress that I did not come into contact with any Muslim before I embraced Islam. I read the Qur'an first and realized that no person is perfect. Islam is perfect, and if we imitate the conduct of the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) we will be successful. May Allah give us guidance to follow the path of the ummah of Muhammad (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam). Ameen!
    Yusuf Islam (Bio) (formerly Cat Stevens (Bio))
    this artical is written by yuosef islam

but iwant ask ....
    do you have picture about him ...i dont

have....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    now i think someone should post a reply about famous person who converted from islam religion to christianity..this would make the thread interesting

conversion from religoin to another is normal thing and it is up to God who gets some people out of darkness to light or gets them out of light to darkness

but finally the truth must appeares which is supported by sciene ,values,and logical thoughts....>>>ISLAM

any way....i appreciate your visitation to my page
    thanks alot..
    Last edited by the mooring; 09-28-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the mooring
    conversion from religoin to another is normal thing and it is up to God who gets some people out of darkness to light or gets them out of light to darkness

but finally the truth must appeares which is supported by sciene ,values,and logical thoughts....>>>ISLAM
    which God you refering to..?
    And what you said about the conversion thing, which is normal to happen, make this thread bit useless.

hi ....again ..i think you intersted in my page
    well , if you want to know the really God...
    just look at the beautiful white moon which rise in adark night... who makes them in this beautiful scene??....He is God that i talk about...
    look at the small birds which fly in sky... who teaches them to fly??? are you???
    ofcourse no ..because HE is God who teaches them to do that
    look at the coloures of the fish in the deep seas... who makes them in such shap and this harmony of these colours...are there any artists drow these coloures ????ofcourse no...because God that i talk about he makes that..
    and look at the sun ...the mountains ...the other plants.... who keeps them from fall on us??... do you see any cable keep them from fall?? so ther is some one who keeps them from fall...and he is God that i talk about
    who teaches the bees to produes the hony.and makes it very sweet???..do they have any schoole or any college to learn this complecated job??
    ofcourse no... because the one who creates them teaches them to do that ...and this one is the GOD that i talk about.
    who teaches the snake to use its poison to poison the victim then eat it??? and how it can live with mouth full of its poison????
    ther is some one orders the poison to hurt the victims and not hurt the snake because it is a mean to its life ....and this one is God that i talke about..... if you turns your face any were you will find that every thing is aproof of the existence of God...

dont warry about the thread ,i have said that there are many people worship many gods ....
    some of them worship the cows!!!!
    some of them worship the mouse!!!!
    some of them worship idols!!!!
    some of them worship the sun....the fire...and the prophets(pease be upon them)!!!
    becuase they learn this from thier parents and their ancestors ....they cease their minds from thinking or searching about the right God and right religoin which i have said before it is supported by science,values,and logical thoughts....
    and there some people worship the one who creates all this univers and minkinds, the sky ,the earth ,the mountains ,the people ,and the animals ....he creates every thing and asks us to believe in Him , to do good deeds , and avoid the bad deeds inorder to inter Paradise

He is the only God,He Has no wife no daughter and no son,there is no one like Him ...

so, give your mind the chance to search about the truth....
    regards

by the way......
    do you have any picture about Yousef Islam ....i really dont have

take my best regards

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    which God you refering to..?
    And what you said about the conversion thing, which is normal to happen, make this thread bit useless.
    if i say that suiside is anormal thing in America. ..do i mean that it is aright thing?????? ofcourse no...

so if there something is normal it doesnt mean that it is aright thing....like many people who play and enter a religoin then get out from it then they return to their first religioin and suddanly leave it and choice athird religoin

but put in your mind and dont forget that i said also that the really religion is the religoin which is supported by the science ,values, and logical thoughts...which means Islam....

dont forget the picture

Salam mooring really wonderful choice
    thanks sister..May Allah give you a better reward
    FORGIVE&FORGET

hello sisters,
    thanx mooring for this topic..

here is the picture you want:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/685000...f_islam300.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by s h i n y
    hello sisters,
    thanx mooring for this topic..

here is the picture you want:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/685000...f_islam300.jpg

thank you very much my dear...
    i really search about his picture
    thanks , thanks ,thanks

I have not been here for long and when i came back i
    see how the forums are turned into!!

Do you know, there are around 4000 religions/faith groups in
    this world?? If each of those started writing about their
    "only god and religion" in the world.. it would really
    be funny!!

Most of the religions teach love and tolerance and
    respect to other human beings and fellow creatures.
    If you want to follow a religion, why don't you
    bring these characteristics to your life and spread
    love which is something understandable and digestable
    by every creature rather than spreading religion
    and your own beliefs which may clash with others
    and thus spread intolerance and fights?? see how much
    agression it must've brought to many members in this
    forum??

Everyone has a religion of his own.
    It is better to leave others to their own choice.
    Nature would decide what is best.

Allah-The Almighty- would decide what is best.....He who leads us to the straight path..

dear rocksea welcome back...

not at all so funny to share our believes

Best Regards,
    Green Utopia
    FORGIVE&FORGET

ya it is nice to share our beliefs but there are so many things in a religion which can be studied and shared with, other than linking always it with the attribute 'belief'.

and when there are so many other religions and faithgroups in this world, saying 'my religion is the best, only my religion saves the world' is not sharing belief. it is something like forcing beliefs??

hi every1,,

rocksea ..
    welcome back.
    you've mentioned that some people say:
    '....only my religion saves the world'
    of course every1 will say that, but let's forget about the religion's influence on the world
    and talk about its influence on the individuals;
    each person, senseful one, would think deeply and ask himself (who created me? it can't by chance,and I shouldn't be created by several Gods and if so, whom am I doing to obay? )...
    in this case, he'll look for reality and others' experiences to find the truth.

the question is....
    How can a person like CatStevens, who enjoys his great fame among poeple of his religion, leave that religion and accept to lose that popularity??
    For sure, he wanted to fulfill his spiritualistic needs with truth and only truth.
    he looked seriously for it.. and he found it.

that's what the article is about. { ain't that right mooring?! }

Quote Originally Posted by rocksea
    I have not been here for long and when i came back i
    see how the forums are turned into!!

into areligious conversation but with the respect for all believes...and i do so...am i right???
    Do you know, there are around 4000 religions/faith groups in
    this world?? If each of those started writing about their
    "only god and religion" in the world.. it would really
    be funny!!

but finally the really religoin must wins and the truth must appears

Most of the religions teach love and tolerance and
    respect to other human beings and fellow creatures.
    If you want to follow a religion, why don't you
    bring these characteristics to your life and spread
    love which is something understandable and digestable
    by every creature rather than spreading religion
    and your own beliefs which may clash with others
    and thus spread intolerance and fights?? see how much
    agression it must've brought to many members in this
    forum??
    and i spread the love and the tolerance because this is the main job for my religion that i learn it from islam
    after believe in one God (ALLAH),
    and the one who dont do that ,he will be refused from isalm and muslims befor any one else

Everyone has a religion of his own.
    It is better to leave others to their own choice.
    Nature would decide what is best.
    no...it is better to leave your mind choose your life, your religion , then your hereafter

look my dear the thing that your mind doesnt accept it,my religion also doesnt accept it
    and if you think that i hurt any one by my speech ....tell me ...
    and i apologize to him
    regards
    Last edited by the mooring; 10-07-2004 at 06:18 PM.

shiny....utopia....
    thanks alot

by the way , can both of you visit my poem that i have written in apersonal poetry
    it is called((a long tale of an orphan’tears))
    i wait you there
    regaaaaaaaaards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast