Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Pride & Prejudice Adaptation was best?

Blog Entries

Which Pride & Prejudice Adaptation was best?

Okay from the two adaptations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
    • BBC Mini Series: Pride and Prejudice (1995)
      2005 film: Pride & Prejudice

Which one do you personally favour?

Personally I believe that Lizzie and Darcy had a stronger chemistry in the latest version (the scene in the rain...ahhh); not to mention the much improved quality of directing - the closing scene with the mist on the meadow where the protagonists declare their love is fantastic.
    However, I believe that Jennifer Ehle played Elizabeth with alot more wit than Keira Knightley, with the perfect facial expressions. On the otherhand, Keira had more fury and edge about her.
    As for Mr. Darcy... now that is a tuff one to call. Many ladies prefer Colin Firth and I cannot blame them as he is a rather dashing a sweet fellow - although I don't think many were too phased by this when the "wet - shirt - scene" was on. I have to admit, I think Matthew Macfadyen was better... it was something about those intense blue eyes and abnormally large forhead that pulled me in. Plus I think he was slightly cute when furious.
    Also, I think that Donald Sutherland wasn't as dry and sarcastic as Benjamin Whitrow...
    Oh and Mr. Whickham was much more charming in the earlier version than the 2005 one... (no offence to Keira - now dating the guy - but Wickham II needed a haircut).
    I think we can all safely say that the beautiful Rosamund Pike played the part of Jane miles better than the original.

In conclusion... well, I cannot possibley choose actually.
    Any comments?
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Blog Entries
    I think the BBC version was the best. So much meaning in those glances!

Moved from general chat to P&P sub-forum
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

As a film the 2005, as a film though, the original is the best anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyW View Post
    Okay from the two adaptations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
    • BBC Mini Series: Pride and Prejudice (1995)
      2005 film: Pride & Prejudice

Which one do you personally favour?

Personally I believe that Lizzie and Darcy had a stronger chemistry in the latest version (the scene in the rain...ahhh); not to mention the much improved quality of directing - the closing scene with the mist on the meadow where the protagonists declare their love is fantastic.
    However, I believe that Jennifer Ehle played Elizabeth with alot more wit than Keira Knightley, with the perfect facial expressions. On the otherhand, Keira had more fury and edge about her.
    As for Mr. Darcy... now that is a tuff one to call. Many ladies prefer Colin Firth and I cannot blame them as he is a rather dashing a sweet fellow - although I don't think many were too phased by this when the "wet - shirt - scene" was on. I have to admit, I think Matthew Macfadyen was better... it was something about those intense blue eyes and abnormally large forhead that pulled me in. Plus I think he was slightly cute when furious.
    Also, I think that Donald Sutherland wasn't as dry and sarcastic as Benjamin Whitrow...
    Oh and Mr. Whickham was much more charming in the earlier version than the 2005 one... (no offence to Keira - now dating the guy - but Wickham II needed a haircut).
    I think we can all safely say that the beautiful Rosamund Pike played the part of Jane miles better than the original.

In conclusion... well, I cannot possibley choose actually.
    Any comments?

If you are talking about the actors and actress themselves then sure I reckon Keira and the other fellow are hot stuff!.. and the 2005 version could really dramatize things. But if you want to look at how true the adaption is to the book and how well these actors and actresses portray the characters as created by Jane Austen then my vote is with the BBC version.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    I think the BBC version was the best. So much meaning in those glances!

Do people really want to hear what I have to say about the latest version? I think it is best for me just to agree with Niamh and leave it at that!

I will say this, though. I used to be a member of JASNA (Jane Austen Society of North America). They held their Annual General Meeting here in my town when the latest version was going to be released. In fact, we got a sneak peek. Let's just say that I am glad that I was able to watch it for free.

I will not make any more comments on this subject.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about watching the '05 version a couple hours ago - strictly, it should be understood, for the purpose of looking at Keira Knightley. It's not a story I particularly like, but I did like Ehle's portrayal of Lizzie in the older one. I imagine that one also - by virtue simply of its length - is probably a better representation of the novel, but then I still haven't read it yet (still coming up with excuses), so I couldn't say...

I preferred the cast, costuming and direction in the 2005 Joe Wright version.

I preferrred the script in the 1995 BBC version.

I definetely agree with those who said BBC Pride and Prejudice is the best one...the first time I watched it, it was at school during English classes, and in the end all my classmates were in love with Mr Darcy (we are 16 girls!)!
    I think this version is the most faithful to the novel and all the actors are really good! Moreover, I don't like Keira Knightley as an actess and I don't think she is the right one to play Elizabeth's role!

I had never seen Kiera Knightly before Pride and Prejudice, so I did not have a preconceived idea about her. I thought she was exquisite - an absolute genius - as Elizabeth. The script she had to work with was bare-boned Austen, yet Knightly filled in the blanks between the lines with her facial expressions and tone of voice. When reading the book after seeing the movie, I realized how expertly Knightly conveyed the spirit of Austen, and not just the words. She is one of the greatest actresses I have ever seen in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencefan View Post
    ... I thought she was exquisite - an absolute genius - as Elizabeth. The script she had to work with was bare-boned Austen, yet Knightly filled in the blanks between the lines with her facial expressions and tone of voice. When reading the book after seeing the movie, I realized how expertly Knightly conveyed the spirit of Austen, ...
    Congratulations!
    Now if only you would come around to the meaning of Matthew Macfadyen's hand after Darcy has handed Elizabeth into the carriage, my joy would be complete! (just kidding) as I have come to the conclusion that in adaptations, visualization of emotional truth is more important than linear adhesion to the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    Congratulations!
    Now if only you would come around to the meaning of Matthew Macfadyen's hand after Darcy has handed Elizabeth into the carriage, my joy would be complete! (just kidding) as I have come to the conclusion that in adaptations, visualization of emotional truth is more important than linear adhesion to the text.
    Where in the WORLD have you been! I thought you'd NEVER come.
    We're in dire need of you in another thread!
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=31369

I agree with you about the emotional aspect, though perhaps I prefer both equally.
    Last edited by sciencefan; 01-10-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencefan View Post
    Where in the WORLD have you been! I thought you'd NEVER come.
    Sleeping.
    I think that you are doing the governess role quite well. The recommendations of how to write an essay was marvelous. You have one eager pupil.
    Hope the farm girls will benefit from your instruction, just don't go to Africa with St. John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    Funnily enough, I was just thinking about watching the '05 version a couple hours ago - strictly, it should be understood, for the purpose of looking at Keira Knightley.
    *just did this, and almost cried at how beautiful she is; it simply isn't possible...*

Kiddjcjkk
    I way preferred the BBC version - I thought it was a good version of the book - realistic in so many ways. I do think the 2005 film version was good though. I think the thing is, trying to take a 300page long book and stick it into three hours is just not terribly plausible. If it has to be done, then the 2005 edition does it very well, but personally I'd rather watch the BBC version. (And anyone who says they prefer Matthew Macfadyn in a wet shirt to Colin Firth is CRAZY!)

I prefer the BBC series, but feel dissatisfied with the way they wrapped up the ending so quickly, probably due to costs but they could have given us another episode surely? The film was just ok, they cast it well and there was a realness in the way life was portrayed but it was a bit coarse I thought. In parts it was exquisite and others stupid. Emma Thompson should have done the screen play because she did such a great job on S and S.
    PS.Sciencefan, if you have a thing for Kiera then watch Atonement, she is drop dead gorgeous in that.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
    --Anais Nin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast