Thread: Foreshadowing

Foreshadowing

I need help with foreshadowing in pride and prejudice. Can someone please explain how lydia's elopement, charlotte's marriage and darcy's first proposal to elizabeth is foreshadowed in the novel? If not, are there any other examples of foreshadowing?

Thankyou

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by StarryFaith View Post
    I need help with foreshadowing in pride and prejudice. Can someone please explain how lydia's elopement, charlotte's marriage and darcy's first proposal to elizabeth is foreshadowed in the novel? If not, are there any other examples of foreshadowing?

Thankyou
    Wow, that's kind of a tough one. I'd practically have to re-read the whole book to find them. I'll think about it today and try to remember some, and get back to you later on today. When is this assignment due? Are you in the Eastern time zone?

(I was thinking about reading it again anyway. )

Of course, there is always Google!
    "Pride and Prejudice" foreshadowing

Pride and Prejudice is an excellent book to reread because of its foreshadowing—subtle hints of upcoming events. Darcy's first proposal to Elizabeth, Lydia's elopement, and Charlotte's marriage are among the novel's many foreshadowed occurrences.
    http://encarta.msn.com/sidebar_70150...Prejudice.html

foreshadowing · The only notable example of foreshadowing occurs when Elizabeth visits Pemberley, Darcy’s estate, in Volume III, Chapter 1. Her appreciation of the estate foreshadows her eventual realization of her love for its owner.
    http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/pride/facts.html

The first sentence of this chapter is one of the famous ones in English literature because of its masterful irony, its humorous tone, and its foreshadowing of the entire novel.
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=4&gl=us

A few weeks after Lydia`s elopement, Bingley and Darcy visit the Bennets for dinner. Darcy sits so far away from Elizabeth that she is sure that he no longer has any feelings for her. Bingley proposes to Jane and she accepts. This shows that both Bingley and Darcy have overcome their objections to marrying into a lower class. This foreshadows Darcy's forthcoming proposal to Elizabeth.
    http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=14712

http://www.gradesaver.com/classicnot.../section3.html

Ch 3 & 4
    The Meryton ball introduces the reader to the two main couples in the novel, and also foreshadows the differences in how their relationships will develop. Jane and Bingley are attracted to each from the outset, and their simple, amiable, easy-going natures prevent internal difficulties from hindering their attachment. The fact that Bingley seems to wait for his sisters' approval before feeling "authorised" to like Jane demonstrates how easily influenced he is by others' opinions and foreshadows external difficulties in the development of his relationship with Jane. Elizabeth and Darcy, however, hardly have the most favorable first impressions of one another. Elizabeth's quickness to judge Darcy and her pride in the accuracy of her perceptions will prevent from seeing the good side of his character until extraordinary events make her realize her mistake. Because of his pride and extreme class-consciousness, Darcy refuses even to consider Elizabeth as a dancing partner. The original title of the novel was, in fact, First Impressions. Indeed, the characters' first impressions of each other serve to mark the course of their future relationships.

Ch 5 & 6
    Charlotte's comments to Elizabeth about Jane's manner of dealing with Bingley reveal that Charlotte has a much more pragmatic view of marriage than Elizabeth, and foreshadow her future decision to marry for purely economic purposes. Charlotte is critical of Jane's reserve in showing her regard for Bingley, and thinks that once she is secure of his affection there will be plenty of "leisure for falling in love as much as she chuses." Elizabeth, on the other hand, disagrees with Charlotte, commenting that her advice is good "where nothing is in question but the desire of being well married," but stating that she and Jane believe marriage should be based on love. Charlotte has a somewhat cynical view of marriage. She asserts that "happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance," and that "it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." Elizabeth simply laughs at Charlotte's comments, telling her "You know you would never act in this way yourself." Yet subsequent events prove Elizabeth's judgment to be in error.

http://www.jasna.org/essaycontest/2001/graduate.html

This article talks about foreshadowing but not in a straightforward way. It's VERY interesting reading, though.

Dancing in the novel always has erotic connotations. Austen "uses the custom of dance as occasion, means, and metaphor for amorous relationship." Early refusals to dance by both Darcy and Elizabeth, and "their obvious suitability and aesthetic rightness as mutual partners" when they finally do dance foreshadow the progression of their love relationship. A comparison of Elizabeth, Lydia, and Charlotte shows us "not only the kind of dancing, but _ the kind of love Austen values."
    http://www.jasnanorcal.org/review03.htm

His attempt to elope with the aristocratic Gerorgiana Darcy when the latter was only fifteen not only reveals a breach in his manners but foreshadow the true extant of his villainy as it exposes itself towards the end of the novel.
    http://essayinfo.com/sample/essay/211/

Well, you can do your own searching, too. I only got to about the 3rd or 4th Google page.

What I discovered is that whether or not foreshadowing exists is largely a matter of opinion.

I might have time to do some reading tomorrow. I may be able to offer my own opinion on the matter.

I wish you good success.

Thankyou sooo much! The Assignment is due monday and yes I am in the eastern time zone The thing is I need evidence from the book to prove the foreshadowing of those 3 incidents.
    Last edited by StarryFaith; 01-05-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarryFaith View Post
    ...The thing is I need evidence from the book to prove the foreshadowing of those 3 incidents.
    Didn't any of those links answer that question? I thought they did.

I would have to re-read the book in order to find each instance where I feel like something is being foreshadowed, and make note of them as they occur. That would take me all day or longer, I'm afraid, and not only that, but I would be doing your homework for you.

I have steered you in the right direction. I'm afraid that's the best I can do. It's too bad there wasn't more time.
    Last edited by sciencefan; 01-06-2008 at 01:18 PM.

I'm almost done my assignment. You're greattttt help! Thankyou

God Sciencefan.. reading your replies could really make me believe you live and breathe P&P. Thanks so much for your posts... I learn something new everyday... in this case, I learn a whole lot in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by cactus View Post
    God Sciencefan.. reading your replies could really make me believe you live and breathe P&P. Thanks so much for your posts... I learn something new everyday... in this case, I learn a whole lot in one go.
    That was nothing.
    All that was was some Google research.

You should have seen me last winter after I had just read the book twice and watched 30 hours of the films!