Page 89 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3979848586878889909192939499 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

“To believe in yourself and to follow your dreams, to have goals in life and a drive to succeed, and to surround yourself with the things and the people that make you happy - this is success!” Sasha Azevedo -Entertainer
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

Blog Entries
    My all-time favorite quote: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated - Mark Twain
    Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Sanity is not statistical -George Orwell

We shall all suffer for what the gods have given us -Oscar Wilde

You don't understand what friendship is...or what enmity is, for that matter. You like every one; that is to say, you are indifferent to every one. -Oscar Wilde

Hypotheses non fingo (I feign no hypothesis- I won't make up an answer to fill a gap in my knowledge) -Isaac Newton, on the cause of gravity

By Work:

Hamlet
    -Polonius' monologue to Laertes 1.3
    -"Though this be madness, yet there is method in it" from 2.2
    -"What a piece of work is man!" from 2.2
    -"O! what a rogue and peasant slave am I!" from 2.2
    -Hamlet's "To be, or not to be" soliloquoy 3.1
    -"Hold as 'twere the mirror up to nature" from 3.2
    -Ophelia's song from 4.5
    -Hamlet's monologue about Yorick from 5.1

Macbeth
    -"Fair is foul, and foul is fair" from 1.1
    -Macbeth's monologue on the dagger from 2.1
    -"Blood will have blood" from 3.4
    -Macbeth's "I am in blood" monologue in he is 3.4
    -The Witches' chant ("Double, double, toil and trouble..") from 4.1
    -"Out, damned spot!" from 5.1
    -Macbeth's "Told by an idiot" monologue from 5.5

The Merchant Of Venice
    -Portia's "If to do were as easy as to know" monologue from 2.1
    -"The devil can cite scripture for his purpose" from 1.3
    -Portia's note ("All that glisters is not gold") from 2.7
    -Shylock's "Hath not a Jew eyes?" monologue from 3.1
    -Portia's "The quality of mercy is not strained" monologue from 4.1

Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead
    -Rosencrantz's "Box" monologue
    -The Player's "We're actors--we're the opposite of people!" monologue
    -The Player (On the ironic nature of death) "Decides? It is written."
    -Rosencrantz's "The moment where one first knew of death" monologue
    -The Player (On his plays) "Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see."

And that's all for now, have to go, but I'll explain those and add to them (and start getting the philosophy quotes and explanations in) when I return...

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett O'Hara View Post
    One of my favourite quotes from novels I have read is from 'Tale of Two Cities'
    Honestly, I believe one of the greatest beginnings for a novel.
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
    I just love the series antitheses. Then, also, of course, the ending line:
    "'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.'"
    I need to read some Dickens... that is a pretty incredible opener.

Quote Originally Posted by .Kafka View Post
    "We live as we dream, alone" - Joseph Conrad
    Debbie Downer alert

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." - Charles Lamb
    Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience!

Cool thread

When I was a kid my pops would often tell me, "If you're gonna do something, do it right and be the best at it. Never half-*** it, never. Even criminals are distinguished; Compare bank-robbers to pickpockets. Who's braver? A pickpocket who snatches purses and runs away? Or the Bank-robber who faces the risk of shooting it out with cops?"

"If there be a single law governing the actions of men, free will cannot exist, for then man's will is subject to that law"- Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace.
    Despite his fervent Anarchism, I always found that statement true to a certain extent. Especially among nations that are considered "3rd world". For instance, In the U.S, how easy is it for us to attain a Visa and travel abroad? To travel to Europe, Asia, and all those magnificent continents? Very easy, we wouldn't wait years like a citizen of an underdeveloped nation would...

Each small act of kindness reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one who was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed, and grows each time it is passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise each small meanness, each act of cruelty.
    Last edited by iamnobody; 09-26-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rores28 View Post
    that is a pretty incredible opener.
    That's what she said.

Several of the many words i have collected written by emerson and rilke.

"If your everyday life seems poor, don't blame it; blame yourself; admit to yourself that you are not enough of a poet to call forth its riches; because for the creator there is not poverty and no poor, indifferent place." - Rilke

"The moments when something new has entered us, something unknown; our feelings grow mute in shy embarrassment, everything in us withdraws, a silence arises, and the new experience, which no one knows, stands in the midst of it all and says nothing." - Rilke

"Always trust yourself and your own feelings, as opposed to arguments and discussions. If it turns out that you are wrong, then the natural growth of your inner life will eventually guide you to other insights." - Rilke

"Else to-morrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another" - Emerson

"Teach them to hold their tongues by holding your own. Say little; do not snarl; do not chide; but govern by the eye. See what they need, and that the right thing is done." - Emerson

"We teach boys to be such men as we are. We do not teach them to aspire to be all they can." - Emerson

"The like force has the passion over all his nature. It expands the sentiment; it makes the clown gentle and gives the coward heart. Into the most pitiful and abject it will infuse a heart and courage to defy the world, so only it have the countenance of the beloved object. In giving him to another it still more gives him to himself. He is a new man, with new perceptions, new and keener purpoes, and a religious solemnity of character and aims. He does not longer appertain to his family and society; he is somewhat; he is a person; he is a soul." - Emerson

"You are cold, because you are alone: no contact strikes the fire from you that is in you. You are sick; because the best of feelings, the highest and the sweetest given to man, keeps far away from you. You are silly, because, suffer as you may, you will not beckon it to approach; nor will you stir one step to meet it where it waits you."- Mr Rochester (Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte)

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight*Lover View Post
    "You are cold, because you are alone: no contact strikes the fire from you that is in you. You are sick; because the best of feelings, the highest and the sweetest given to man, keeps far away from you. You are silly, because, suffer as you may, you will not beckon it to approach; nor will you stir one step to meet it where it waits you."- Mr Rochester (Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte)
    I love this

" Time heals what reason cannot "
    "He is asleep. Though his mettle was sorely tried,
    He lived, and when he lost his angel, died.
    It happened calmly, on its own,
    The way the night comes when day is done."

I love this quote

"When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean" - Linji Yixuan

"Speech was given to man to disguise his thoughts."
    - Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.