Page 4 of 139 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. Fred Allen

It is easier to fight for one's priciples than to live up to them. Alfred Adler

How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it. Marcus Aurelius

All hope abandon, ye who enter here!. Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power. Ashleigh Brilliant

The love you take is equal to the love you make. The Beatles

Laws are like sausages. It is better not to see them being made. Bismark

One can outwit a scoundrel or foil a thief, but against a fool even the gods are helpless. Sir Francis Bacon

Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and fresh air. Jack Benny

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.
    Caron de Beaumarchais

{in memorium} One function the TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were. David Brinkley

I can't see the point in the theatre. All that sex and violence. I get enough of that at home, apart from the sex of course. Baldrick (Sense and Senility)

Never moon a werewolf. Mike Bender

First you forget names. Then you forget faces. Next you forget to pull your zipper up. And finally you forget to pull it down. George Burns

Grasshopper always wrong in argument with chicken. Book of Chan

I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore.
    Paddy Chayevsky

There are only 2 lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings. Hodding Carter

Sometimes I think we are alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering. Arthur C. Clarke

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. Dom Helder Camera

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Beware the fury of a patient man. John Dryden

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Ralph Waldo Emerson

He's turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable.
    Now he's miserable and depressed. David Frost

Don't be afraid to take a big step if one is indicated. You can't cross a chasm in 2 small jumps. David LLoyd George

You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoes and and wonder what else you can do while you're down there. Fred & Gerry

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. John Andrew Holmes

Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness. Sir Robert Hutchinson

What is true is what I can't help believing. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson

People demand freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought, which they avoid. Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

The female of the species is more deadly than the male. Rudyard Kipling

Critics say that Andy Warhol's portraits of Campbell's soup cans were a brilliant satire of culture, in much the same way that Campbell's Soup is a brilliant satire of food. Craig Kilborn

"Shut up," he explained. Ring Lardner

Obviously crime pays, or there'd be no crime. G. Gordon Liddy

Murder is a crime. Describing murder is not. Sex is not a crime. Describing sex is. Gershon Legman

It is now quite lawful for a Catholic woman to avoid pregnancy by a resort to mathematics. Though she is still forbidden to resort to physics or chemistry. H. L. Mencken

Tradition is a guide, not a jailer. W. Somerset Maugham

................and thank you for your attention and patience. Lorenzo
    [/list][/list][/b]

Ah! Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. I'm Ba-ack.

One monkey don't stop no show. Sticks McGhee

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. John Maxwell

'Strategy' is buying a bottle of fine wine when you take a lady out for dinner. 'Tactics' is getting her to drink it. Frank Muir

The trouble with eating Italian food is that 5 or 6 days later, you're hungry again. George Miller

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid. But most stupid people are conservatives. John Stuart Mill

If I have seen more than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

Of those who say nothing, few are silent. Thomas Neill

You can judge your age by the amount of pain you feel when you come in contact with a new idea. John Nuveen

If people destroy something replaceable, made by mankind, they are called vandals. If they destroy something irreplaceable, made by God, they are called developers. Gaylord Nelson

Just because everthing is different doesn't mean that anything has changed. from The San Francisco Oracle

If an infinite number of rednecks, driving an infinite number of pickup trucks, fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway signs, they will eventually re-produce all the world's great literary works, in Braille. Omni Magazine

In the field of observation, chance favors the pepared mind. Louis Pasteur

If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end-to-end-- I wouldn't be surprised. Dorothy Parker

All you touch and all you see, Is all your life will ever be.
    Pink Floyd, 'Breathe.'

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed. Michael Pritchard

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Ellen Parr

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. Eden Phillpotts.

When something can be read without effort, great effort has gone into its writing. Enrique Jardiel Poncela

Make no mistake, the weeds will win. Nature bats last. Robert Pyle

A man on a date wonders if he'll get lucky. The woman already knows. Monica Piper

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized the Lord doesn't work that way. So I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. Emo Philips

A healthy adult male bore consumes each year one and a half times his own weight in other people's patience. John Updike

'The 50-50-90 Rule' : Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
    Andy Rooney

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and the unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. Bertrand Russell

An intellectual snob is one who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger. Dan Rather

I never cease to be dumbfounded by the unbelieveable things people believe. Leo Rosten

I got kicked out of ballet class because I pulled a groin muscle. It wasn't mine. Rita Rudner

Everyone complains of his memory, and nobody complains of his judgment. Francois de la Rochefoucauld

The pain passes; the beauty remains. Auguste Renoir

We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love, one another. Jonathan Swift

When a blind man carries a lame man, both go forward. Swedish Proverb

Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do. Jean-Paul Sartre

'Criminal' : A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation. Howard Scott

We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel. But they do not suffer less because they have no words. Anna Sewell

My doctor gave me 2 weeks to live. I hope they're in August. Ronnie Shakes

The only winner of the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky. Solomon Short

By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. Socrates

When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats. Claude Swanson

Good answers come from good questions, not from esoteric analysis.
    Schoolman

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then. Bob Seeger

If triangles had a god, he would have 3 sides. Charles de Secondat

The right to do something, does not mean that doing it is right. William Safire

What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail? Dr. Robert Schuller

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla's tired. Robert Strauss

...................until we meet again, thank you and good night. Lorenzo

"Lack of money is the root of all evil."
    - George Bernard Shaw

Grim Reaper
    i love just about anything written by shakespeare. i also favour lewis carroll's 'alice in wonderland and through the looking glass' but my favourite quote is this
    " the last act is bloody, no matter how fine the play"
    i believe that is by pascal. in possibly a different variation.
    also these

You are you and i am i . You do your thing and i do mine. and in the end if we end up together, it's beautiful.- Boy meets World

If you take a bird's wings, it will still find a way to soar.- ??

I do not look at the glass as half empty, but merely half full- my mum

I prefer an ugly truth to a pretty lie. when someone is telling me the truth, that is when i give my heart- Shakira
    "My body won't succumb to my heart and it's tearing me apart"

"There is no point to democracy when ignorance is celebrated"

It's quite simple. He proves by algebra that Hamlet's grandson is Shakespeare's grandfather and that he himself is the ghost of his own father. --James Joyce, 'Ulysses'.

"hell is other people"
    -Sartre

One of my favorites:

God is a comedian playing to an audience who is afraid to laugh.

--Voltaire.

Also:

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

--Oscar Wilde.

Something to the effect of: "Adults are obsolete children," written by Dr. Seuss in an essay on why he wrote for children. Not my all-time favorite, but the one I have in mind at the moment.

sausages for hostages

Who propst, thou ask'st, in these bad days my mind?
    Answer: Congealed Ectoplasm

-[very early] Salvador Dali

It's probably the worst line of poetry I've ever read, but it remains one of my favorites just due to the crappyness.

This one really isn't a quote per say as probably the best opening paragraph I've ever read in my life. It sets the stage for one of the most cynical novels I've ever read, and I love it (Evelyn Waugh - A Handful of Dust):

"Was anyone hurt?"

"No one I am thankful to say," said Mrs Beaver, "except two housemaids who lost their heads and jumped through a glass roof into the paved court. They were in no danger. The fire never reached the bedrooms I am afraid. Still, they are bound to need doing up, everything black with smoke and drenched in water and luckily they had that old-fashioned sort of extinguisher that ruins everything. One really cannot complain. The chief rooms were completely gutted and everything was insured. Sylvia Newport knows the people. I must get on to them this morning before that ghoul Mrs Shutter snaps them up."
    If life gives you poop.... make poop juice!

The only possible heaven is the one where I wouldnt know I'd once existed.-John Fowles

It's a vicious circle. People are going deaf because
    music is played louder and louder. But because they're going deaf,
    it has to be played louder still.

We can never know what to want, because, living only one life,
    we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in
    our lives to come. - Milan Kundera.

my fav

Wherever you go, there you are.

Depressed? Oh horse sh!t. A man can only love as much as he allows himself to love. He can only be as happy as he allows himself to be. We've all been dying since the day we were born and there ain't a damned thing we can do about it. You live hard, work hard and play hard.
    Depressed. Whose got time for it anyway?
    Permit me to doubt.

I was wondering very long if I should write it, because I am not good in translations , but I'll try:

Beside gift of brightness is mercy of shadow and beside gift of feelings, gift of oblivion. (Jan Sztaudynger)

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    Ginger: I love your first quote. :-D its great.

"The only possible heaven is the one where I wouldnt know I'd once existed"-John Fowles

absolutely great... thanks.
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.

They were the white boy, marked forever, and the old dark man sired on both sides by savage kings, who had marked him, whose bloody hands had merely formally consecrated him to that which, under the man's tutelage, he had already accepted, humbly and joyfully, with abnegation and with pride too; the hands, the touch, the first worthy blood which he had been found at last worthy to draw, joining him and the man forever, so that the man would continue to live past the boy's seventy years and then eighty years, long after the man himself had entered the earth as chiefs and kings entered it...--William Faulkner, Go Down, Moses

There is only
    Process, which is one name for history. Often
    Pitiful. But, sometimes, under
    The scrutinizing prism of Time,
    Triumphant.
    --Robert Penn Warren, Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce

I am of old and young, of the foolish as much as the wise,
    Regardless of others, ever regardful of others,
    Maternal as well as paternal, a child as well as a man...--Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

And see my signature!
    "I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable, / I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world."--Walt Whitman

When did you start reading Faulkner, KLO?