Page 137 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3787127132133134135136137138139 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

This one isn't my favorite quote per se, but I found it today and thought it was a real good one.

Blog Entries
    ^^ Reminds me of one of Rumi's - "My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that; and I intend to end up there."

da Vinci's are great. . a few years ago I downloaded some of his writings, along with a lot of others, to shore up some of my knowledge. . . it was extremely worth it! I got them from Gutenberg.org.

Poor Shaw. I might be an idiot in his final analysis, since I am so patriotic that I would burn our flag in public if it were to be used by those who never understood freedom.
    But those were the blinded days of Foucault, also. He and Shaw farted well as they found it necessary.

Banned
    "Happiness is wishing to be what you are." Erasmus.
    Because Living Well is the Best Revenge, or because Happiness gets harder as I get older, because my standards get higher. Not sure why.

“There is so much pain in the world, and most of these people keep theirs secret, rolling through agonizing lives in invisible wheelchairs, dressed in invisible bodycasts.” - Andrew Solomon.
    I first know him in a TED Talk and he just got my heart. The way he talk and how he used words was totally awesome.
    Most important, I love what he said

"Honour and common sense; in light of the other, both of them are ridiculous." ~ Louis de Bernieres

some years before nike came out with their "just do it" slogan, they had one that has stuck with me since:

"there is no finish line"

I like it because its very true and it also reminds me of an organizing principle I hold dear, "where there is life, there is hope."

Not really sure if my favorite is my own statement because it has described my "philosophy" for as long as I can remember thinking of such things. The "quote" is -"for every freedom granted one man, another man must assume a responsibility". I would be grateful if anyone could identify the origin of this phrase as I'm pretty sure it's not mine. Really would appreciate any enlightenment on possible origin, web searches have been no help. I always thought it was Nietzsche but can't confirm.

I have two more I like:

When felling stifled, limited, marginalized. - "I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing." - Thomas Jefferson

My final, when feeling overwhelmed but still must carry on, preferably efficiently and without need for whining. - "It's hard to remember that your primary goal was to drain the swamp when you're up to your *** in alligators". Origin unknown, comes from a sign above shift manager's desk in very harried production environment.

Three of Marlowe's comments in Heart of Darkness have always stayed with me: "We live as we dream -- alone."
    "I don't like work -- no man does -- but I like what is in work -- the chance to find yourself."
    "Droll thing life is -- that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself -- that comes too late -- a crop of inextinguishable regrets."

In spite of Conrad's cultural/historical limitations (which we all suffer from), he speaks with one of the first existential voices of the twentieth century. One can hear phrases such as these echo in Hemingway, Sartre, and Camus. In the third quote, he also acknowledges with matter-of-fact acceptance that regrets are the foundation for most human lives, for our knowledge and insight, and to try to live without them, is to, in some way, not have lived at all. Furthermore, such contemporary phrases like "No regrets," as a philosophical alternative, would in Conrad's view (quite literally) miss the boat.

I will leave two:

1)Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.--William Anderson Scott (some claim this for Euripedes)

2) Those whom the gods would save, they dower with compassion.--I don't know who said this. Does anyone here know?

“I believe order is better than chaos, creation better than destruction. I prefer gentleness to violence, forgiveness to vendetta. On the whole I think that knowledge is preferable to ignorance, and I am sure that human sympathy is more valuable than ideology. I believe that in spite of the recent triumphs of science, men haven't changed much in the last two thousand years; and in consequence we must try to learn from history.”
    ― Kenneth Clark, Civilisation

"What,you egg?"-Shakespeare

I like the following quote by Vladimir Nabokov as a motivator at the beginning of the writing process: The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    These Donald Trump quotes:

"Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don't make."

"My whole life is about winning."

"I like thinking big. If you're going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big."

Blog Entries
    "Work to live. Do not live to work"

French belief
    ===============-
    When asked how World War III would be fought, Einstein replied that he didn't know. But he knew how World War IV would be fought: With sticks and stones.
    -(:===============