Page 135 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3585125130131132133134135136137138139 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

I think we all know by now that every human will break under torture and eventually tell what they know. There are tortures that cannot be tolerated by life. Besides, there are many drugs that will make people under interrogation tell what they know. So what is the trend today, that is, what's the solution for CIA Special Activities people? The best seems to me to stop teaching soldiers to resist interrogation and give them specific objectives that do no reveal the entire project, keeping directors that know the whole thing on safe grounds, not in the field with Black OP. I believe this is being done already. This makes very good sense to me. ~ C A Cafolini

“Beyond work and love, I would add two other ingredients that give meaning to life. First, to fulfill whatever talents we are born with. However blessed we are by fate with different abilities and strengths, we should try to develop them to the fullest, rather than allow them to atrophy and decay. We all know individuals who did not fulfill the promise they showed in childhood. Many of them became haunted by the image of what they might have become. Instead of blaming fate, I think we should accept ourselves as we are and try to fulfill whatever dreams are within our capability.

Second, we should try to leave the world a better place than when we entered it."

Dr. Michio Kaku - American theoretical physicist

I have to say my favorite quote is "Let there be light."

“They adore you beacause they think you offer up your friendship and ask for nothing in return. But that's not true-' He took a deep breath. 'You do ask for something. You ask that we never expect you to need us.”
    - Kamila Shamsie, Kartography
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I have ever hated all nations, professions, and communities, and all my love is toward individuals: for instance, I hate the tribe of lawyers, but I love Counsellor Such-a-one, and Judge Such-a-one: so with physicians—I will not speak of my own trade—soldiers, English, Scotch, French, and the rest. But principally I hate and detest that animal called man, although I heartily love John, Peter, Thomas, and so forth. This is the system upon which I have governed myself many years, but do not tell, and so I shall go on till I have done with them.

from a letter from Jonathan Swift to Alexander Pope September 29, 1725 From The Correspondence Of Jonathan Swift
    http://www.ourcivilisation.com/smart...ters/chap2.htm
    bold added by me

Blog Entries
    Peace be on all.
    " In the terminology of Holy Quran, Allah is the name of that perfect Being Who is The True Deity, Possessor of all perfect attributes, Does not have any weakness, The One Who has no partner and is The Source of all blessings."

--- Ahmadiyya Muslim Promised Messiah Mahdi (on whom be peace), in his grand book Brahin e Ahmadiyya (Translation at alislam.org)
    Last edited by YALASH; 02-27-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Free Thinker
    My favorite would have to be...

'To Live would be an awfully big adventure.'
    Peter Pan. J.M. Barrie

I think it has a beautiful outlook on life.

“Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”

- Robert A. Heinlein
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

“When something is new and hard and bright, there ought to be something a little better for it than just being safe, since the safe things are just the things that folks have been doing so long they have worn the edges off and there's nothing to the doing of them that leaves a man to say, That was not done before and it cannot be done again.”

William Faulkner - As I Lay Dying - this is one of my favourite books anyway, but I think this quote is a great one on being young and setting out into the wordl. I am and am doing both those, therefore I love it. Maybe not so much in twenty years ...

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

-Neil Gaiman, Coraline.

"Be noble minded! Our own hearts and not other men's opinions of us forms our true honor."

Friedrich Schiller
    Author of A Love Untold.

"Young people know less than we do, but they understand more; their perception has not yet been blunted by compromise, fatigue, rationalization, and the mistaking of mere respectability for morality."

"The most worthwhile form of education is the kind that puts the educator inside you, as it were, so that the appetite for learning persists long after the external pressure for grades and degrees has vanished. Otherwise you are not educated; you are merely trained."

Sydney J. Harris
    The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
    -Sydney J. Harris

My favorite quote is “Happiness isn't something that depends on our surroundings...It's something we make inside ourselves.” It reminds me that God is always on my side and that i need to make my happiness on my own, not relying on what others say or do

''One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.''

George W Bush
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    “All" human beings "by nature desire to know.” ― Aristotle
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” ― Robert A. Heinlein