Page 134 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3484124129130131132133134135136137138139 LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

If any thing you state is ultimately an illusion, what's the point in telling me that? Isn't that also an illusion? Pricking, psychopathic behavior? Who could you kid? ~ C A Cafolini

The deep, personal material of the latter half of your life is your children. You can write about your parents when they're gone, but your children are still going to be here, and you're going to want them to come and visit you in the nursing home. ~ Alice Munro

The world has changed so much that the young people must reinvent everything: a way to live together. Institutions, a way of being and of knowing. ~ Michel Serres

You have to be an SOB to tell somebody what the president can't tell. ~ Leon Panetta

neo-Nietzschean Spring-heeled J's Avatar
    I've been a quote freak longer than I care to remember; forever thumbing through my 17th edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations in search of sublime and inspirational quotes (good thing it's hardcover.) Here's one that just popped into my head:

It was a brave man who first ate an oyster.
    - Jonathan Swift
    Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat.
    - Voltaire

We'll all be on a surface no matter where we go. That's complete and good enough. ~ C A Cafolini

“People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as compensation.”
    Søren Kierkegaard, The Living Thoughts Of Kierkegaard

Wall Street is a laughing stock. They want to play the Dow against the USA Federal Reserve. And the Chinese asking for a new Federal Reserve? Are the Chinese stupid? Of course they are not. I can't help but wonder how much Wall Street paid the Chinese to put on that theater. There will never be another Federal Reserve but the USA. ~ C A Cafolini

Men of great wisdom like C A Cafolini have always appreciated the calmness of God, exclaiming "I am that I am," in recognition of being absolutely the work of God. Otherwise, they would claim to be imperfect as the work of God. How could that be so? Humbleness before God would be gone. Love of God and the perfection of their teammates would be gone. In God we trust because we are made in the image of God. The Bible tells about this in many appropriate places. ~ C A Cafolini

Being humble, humus of this earth, might be a good thing, a very wise thing. A tail cannot waggle a dog. But having your thought repressed, a victim of antidemocratic treatment, might rightly demand and arrogant revolutionary. Jefferson and many other founding fathers thought so. ~ C A Cafolini

Ezra Pound said that clarity was the sole morality of art and, in his utter idiocy, the art of Mussolini was crystal clear to him. ~ C A Cafolini

If you are interested in knowing who Bergoglio (AKA Francis) is, you could ask Leon Ferrari. Who was behind the ban of Ferrari's exhibit in Argentina? Leon died recently but his story remains in the legacy he left us. Ask this Argentinean expert who Cardinal Bergoglio actually was. ~ C A Cafolini

If you are interested in knowing who Bergoglio (AKA Francis) is, you could ask Leon Ferrari. Who was behind the ban of Ferrari's exhibit in Argentina? Leon died recently but his story remains in the legacy he left us. Ask this Argentinean expert who Cardinal Bergoglio actually was. ~ C A Cafolini

As Ronald Reagan left the presidency, he said to Nancy pointing at the Whitehouse: Look dear, there's our little bungalow.

Once upon a time I posted the following quote from Poe.
    The only reason for equality is that the human soul will never accept a rank.
    Immediately I received some responses from ignorant people in agreement. In those days I still did not grasp completely who Poe was. The ignorant people could have been Garbo, the spy. Who cares? I always went by what people said, not what could hypothetically be the arbitrary choice of meaning behind the words. Now I now fully that Poe's words couldn't be farther from the truth. The proof comes from the people that gave their lives and respected their rank in protecting democracy and continue to do it to this very day. There were millions of them. There are millions of them today. Thank God.