Page 133 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3383123128129130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

To see the world in a grain of sand,
    and to see heaven in a wild flower,
    hold infinity in the palm of your hands,
    and eternity in an hour.

William Blake
    Live in the sunshine. Swim in the sea. Drink the wild air ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that. ~ Mary Oliver
    I like that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckthorn View Post
    I like that!!!!
    She was very outstanding in a very modest way. She was the #1 best seller of the New York Times for the longest time. I'm very glad you brought her to our attention. It is easy to forget some people that don't make much noise on the surface. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    To see the world in a grain of sand,
    and to see heaven in a wild flower,
    hold infinity in the palm of your hands,
    and eternity in an hour.

William Blake
    Many have called Blake a romantic, but he's one of the most scientific poets.

Of course there is a world in a grain of sand, since the depths of it are infinite for which infinity can be held in the palm of your hands. And heaven can be anywhere you decide. And what about time? There is as much in one second as there is in 1000 years. Conventions don't measure absolute time but only for communications. Blake is consistent with science in whatever he says.
    Check Robert Frost's I'm Well Acquainted with the Night, for another version of it.

Good quote, Melanie.

Regarding prayer, every person has committed outrageous acts to a larger or lesser degrees, such as blind reactions, malice, uncalled for prejudices, vengeance, pride, envy, the seeking of glory, etc. So people's biggest prayer, outspokenly or in silence goes to asking that the punishment will not come to be an eye for an eye but that God in His Grace would give them a second chance to show that they have fully recognized their outrageous stupidity and allow each to become a member of the Church of God. This church is beyond the scope of any denomination or congregation claiming apostolic power. C A Cafolini

To paraphrase Mencken: the apes have a definite disadvantage.

It is very difficult for people to accept that they evolved from apes. But it is far more difficult for apes to accept that they evolved from people.

There is an extraordinary myth built around and wrapped around murderers. The idea is that it is possible to commit murder in cold blood. But every criminal I ever studied was always hot as hell at the time. ~ C A Cafolini

There is no salvation-ism that could help beyond this life. There is no congregation or denomination that could redeem you beyond a hope. And there is no prayer that could close the issue. Clues are not dues. It is only by His Grace that you can be given a second chance to love before it becomes too late. Your complete exposure to your acts are unavoidable. You are absolutely transparent to those of us that have sense. And if so, can you imagine how transparent you are to your creator? ~ C A Cafolini

There is absolutely no question as to the validity of genetic evolution. But some people think of it as a synonym of progress. It is not. It is a form of change that could go one way or the other.

How long would it take you to tell me that time doesn't exist? ~ C A Cafolini

Banned
    onE oF mY fAv iS "Maybe GOD hAS a biGGer pLan fOr mE thAn I hAd fOr mYSelf.... thiS thinKinG bRinGs a pOSitivE enerGy...

The only thing you own is time. You either waste it or you join us in the establishment of conventional units of measurement in order to communicate your whats. hows. wheres. and whens. ~ C A Cafolini

Time is the only critic without ambition. ~ John Steimbeck

“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life…You give them a piece of you. They didn’t ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn’t your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like ‘maybe we should be just friends’ turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It’s a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones

“…”Shhh”, she said. “I`m sleeping.”
    Just like that. From a hundred miles an hour to asleep in a nanosecond. I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not ****, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”

–John Green, Looking for Alaska

“It’s just… I wish it was easier, for me, you know?” I make a special point not to look at her. “I wish it was someone else who was chosen for this. Someone competent. If only I didn’t stop that robbery. I wish I didn’t have to go through with it all.” It comes gushing out, with words like spilled milk. “And I wish it was me with you and not that other guy. I wish it was my own skin touching with yours…”

And there you have it.

Stupidity in its purest form.

“Oh, Ed.” Audrey looks away. “Oh, Ed.”

Our feet dangle.

I watch them, and I watch the jeans on Audrey’s legs.

We only sit there now.

Audrey and me.

And discomfort.

Squeezed in, between us.

She soon says, “You’re my best friend, Ed.”

“I know.”

You can kill a man with those words.

No gun.

No bullets.

Just words and a girl.”

― Markus Zusak, I am the Messenger

“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
    ― William Shakespeare, As You Like It

“My tongue will tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart concealing it will break.”
    ― William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
    My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
    The more I have, for both are infinite.”
    ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“When he shall die,
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    That all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun.”
    ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

“Lord, what fools these mortals be!”
    ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

“thus with a kiss I die”
    ― William Shakespeare

Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires. ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth
    Last edited by Poppy23; 10-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane. - Looking for Alaska, John Green
    “My tongue will tell the anger of my heart, or else my heart concealing it will break.” ― William Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew
    “Lord, what fools these mortals be!” ― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

The only thing you own is time. You either waste it or you join us in the establishment of conventional units of measurement in order to communicate your whats. hows. wheres. and whens. ~ C A Cafolini

Time is the only critic without ambition. ~ John Steimbeck

“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life…You give them a piece of you. They didn’t ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn’t your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like ‘maybe we should be just friends’ turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It’s a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones