Page 118 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1868108113114115116117118119120121122123128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

Grant without Sherman would have been just a drunkard. He was mentally competent but, like Lee, not the great general that went down in history. He might as well have been Rudolph the red nose ... He was not who caused Lincoln to win a second overhelming term. Sherman was. ~ C A Cafolini

Human rights is the soul of our foreign policy, because human rights is the very soul of our sense of nationhood. ~ Jimmy Carter

America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense human rights invented America. ~ Jimmy Carter
    Last edited by cafolini; 12-03-2012 at 03:58 PM.

"Death ends a life, not a relationship." Mitch Albom, Tuesdays With Morrie

I love this quote because it speaks the truth about death. It's also very positive, for me.

A person who has not admitted the inevitability of his/her death is a coward who cannot defend his/her or anyone's rights, including the ones of those he/she imagines to love. ~ C A Cafolini

"I did not come here to make men better. I came to make better use of their weakness." Hitler

"We do not expect to be loved by too many." Himmler

"Never before in history so many owed so much to so few." Churchill

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." - Oscar Wilde
    I like this quote because it makes me smile, and makes Oscar Wilde seem like a very down to Earth person.
    "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde

This is crazy for me to post but I have to! I heard this from a friend of mine say twenty years my senior and I don't know if he made it up or he heard it fom someone else but it goes like this,,(If I would have known I was going to live this long I would've taken better care of myself),,,, the ironic part of it is that it's starting to apply to me!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cafolini View Post
    "I did not come here to make men better. I came to make better use of their weakness." Hitler

"We do not expect to be loved by too many." Himmler

"Never before in history so many owed so much to so few." Churchill
    how could you like a Hitler quote? Or do you just do that to provoke?

I pedaled as fast as I could as if I were escaping from longing, from innocence, from her. Time has passed, and I've loved many women. And as they've held me close and asked if I will remember them, I've said, "Yes, I will remember you." But the only one I've never forgotten is the one who never asked... Malena.

--Renato Amoroso, the narrator in the film "Malena"

The most beautiful narrated lines in a film for me.
    Last edited by miyako73; 12-18-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same."

--Jonathan Davis

Quote Originally Posted by bulfinch View Post

Does a person being a monster necessarily mean they can never come out with something quotable? Or worthwile even? I'm not saying that particular Hitler quote did much for me, but I'll admit to have been impressed by certain quotes from monsters all throughout history.
    Vladimir: (sententious.) To every man his little cross. (He sighs.) Till he dies. (Afterthought.) And is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by bulfinch View Post
    I don't care how you take the three quotes. They are there for you to look at them in whichever way you like.

There are no great men. There are great challenges ordinary men must take forced by circumstances. ~ General Halsey, while fooling Yamamoto in Guadalcanal.

Any other outcome would have allowed the Japanese to enter Australia. Halsey was also one of MacArthur's favorites in the Philipines.
    Last edited by cafolini; 12-19-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Our purpose is not to conquer Leningrad and Moscow, but to completely destroy the enemy and plow the land for the expansion of the Aryan race. ~ Goebbels

Later, he and his wife kill their children and commit suicide.
    Last edited by cafolini; 12-20-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Of all the quotes I posted here the following two by Richard C Vogel, first lieutanant, US Army, are some of the ones I consider most meaningful. These statements were made to his grandson Kyle while Vogel explained the meaning of a trunk of souvenirs he kept after the war.

"There is one [true] difference between men and the other animals. They can kill at a [long] distance."

"Once you accept to put on the military uniform, it makes no difference what your post or the risk is. What makes the difference is how you do it and for what."

"Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life

It may not be impossible but it's certainly very rare to find such a person.
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by aliengirl View Post
    "Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life

It may not be impossible but it's certainly very rare to find such a person.
    Indeed. Can't walk on egg shells without breaking them. Merry Christmas.