Page 110 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1060100105106107108109110111112113114115120 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

In saving Tibet, you save the possibility that we are all brothers, sisters. ~ Richard Gere

Maybe the Dalai Lama is the only person who is totally honest, and even with him, he's skillful not to hurt anybody. He's skillful. ~ Richard Gere

Beware of geeks bearing formulas. ~ Warren Buffett

Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken. ~ Warren Buffett

I just think that - when a country needs more income and we do, we're only taking in 15 percent of GDP, I mean, that - that - when a country needs more income, they should get it from the people that have it. ~ Warren Buffett

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. ~ Barack Obama

If you love someone, you say it, right then, out loud. Otherwise, the moment just passes you by. ~ Julia Roberts

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. ~ John Steinbeck

A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. ~ John Steinbeck

You'll never find the light at the end of your tunnel until you find and clealy state the darkness at the beginning. C A Cafolini

Beliefs have little to do with faith. For that matter, any belief suffices. So you better accept the faith of other people as important as your own. It is not the evidence of things unseen. It is the evidence of any belief. It is only thus that it is good for everyone. C A Cafolini

Every time I buy a more expensive suit, it looks cheaper on me. ~ Warren Buffet

To pretend, I actually do the thing: I have therefore only pretended to pretend. ~Jacques Derrida

When the fight begins within himself, a man's worth something. - Robert Browning
    I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~ William Blake

Captivity is consciousness,
    So's liberty. ~ Emily Dickinson

As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree,' probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on. ~ Woody Allen

Basically my wife was immature. I'd be at home in the bath and she'd come in and sink my boats. ~ Woody Allen

incognita
    Nothing is worse than active ignorance.-johann wolfgang von goethe

To thine own self be true-Shakespeare

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."-Oscar Wilde

Convictions are not necessarily true: a note for asses! ~ F. Nietszche.

The insanity of an individual is inconsequential compared to the insanity of political parties, systems of government and institutions. ~ F. Nietzsche

"I’m going to stop pretending my life hasn’t started yet."

Roadwork by Richard Bachman/Stephen King

I read this for the first time as a young adult. I realized in that moment that all my activities and interests revolved around future goals and aspirations. I was not living in the moment or taking time to "smell the roses." Or even thinking about the consequences of my actions.

Now I am married with four kids and there are still moments my husband and I ask each other if we feel like grown-ups yet.
    Last edited by heat4212; 07-29-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I didn't answer the whole question

I've got quite a few, but one of my favourite quotes that immediately comes to mind is...

The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history. - George Orwell.

A family with the wrong members in control; that, perhaps, is as near as one can come to describing England in a phrase. ~ George Orwell

What an amazing double agent was Orwell. There have been few as good as such. England never amazed me for what it lodged in order to fight for freedom. It always seemed quite normal to me: "To thyself be true." ~ C A Cafolini