Page 48 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3843444546474849505152535898 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

The Black Rabbit of Inle alhara's Avatar
    "time is an illision lunchtime doubly so" hg2g by DNA
    deus ex machina

Truth to tell, while there are a great many clever and insightful quotes out there, the James quote in my signature is probably my favorite. I remember feeling at first like I'd been almost tricked by the simplicity of the thing. That it was said by one whom I admire so much makes it that much more special to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    We tried not to age, but time had its rage.
    -Pete Townshend

Blog Entries
    No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.
    -- John Donne, Meditation XVII
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

"Return with speed, time passeth swift away
    Our life is short, and we may die today"
    Christopher Marlowe, Tmaburlaine the Great Part 1
    "True literature can only exist when it is created, not by diligent and reliable officials, but by madmen, hermits, heretics, dreamers, rebels and sceptics".
    - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Spoken by Brad Pitts character in the movie Se7en:

"When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Do you just stop and go: "Wow, its amazing how ****ing crazy I really am"?"

While it might not be the most mature or interlectual quote around, I just adore it!
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25028&dateline=116563  2865
    I may disagree strongly with what you have to say, but I will die to defend your right to say it.

My favorite quote would be by Albert Einstein: "Logic will take you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere..."

Megan
    "I won't think about that now, I'll think about that tomorrow!" -- Scarlett O Hara, Gone With the Wind.

Hey, a girl after my own heart *-)

X (or) Y=X and Y=-X Jean-Baptiste's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is from Kant's Introduction to Prolegomena.

To appeal to common sense when insight and science fail, and no sooner--this is one of the subtile discoveries of modern times, by means of which the most superficial ranter can safely enter the lists with the most thorough thinker and hold his own.
    Funny, huh?
    These fragments I have shored against my ruins

James Joyce, the pirate. Why don't you write books people can read? -Nora Barnacle

Insupportable claim: Reading my stories will make you a better person. Do your best to prove me right. http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=20367

Un livre est un ami qui ne trompe jamais.
    ("A book is a friend who never deceives us.")

Montaigne, I think.

Well, the quotes in my profile are favourite quotes, but more there are more ( naturally, I collect quotes).

'' I have learned beauty from the ugly, charity from the unkind, and peace from the turmoil of the world''- Frederick Karr

'' Some memories are realities, and are better than anything that can ever happen to one again''-Willa Cather

'' It does not matter so much what happens. It is what one does when it happens that really counts.''-Laura Ingalls Wilder

'' Castles in the air. So easy to build, and so easy to live in too. '' Ibsen

As well, '' In my end is my begining''- motto of Mary, Queen of Scots

'' When two people relate to each other authentically and humanly, God is the electricity that flows between them''- not sure who said that, will look it up ( I'm doing this from memory!).

'' I have made my own world, and it is a much better world than I ever saw outside.'' - Louise Nevelson

I have found that the quotes from my profile have disapeared, so here they are again.

'' The more things change, the more they stay the same''-Alphose Karr

'' For us, the best time is always yesterday''-Tatyana Tolstaya

'' She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes''- Frank Deford

'' The best days are the first to flee''- Virgil

'' It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.- Zelda Fitzgerald, Save me the Waltz.

The least pain in our little finger gives us more concern and uneasiness than the destruction of millions of our fellow-beings.

(William Hazlitt)
    The strangest whim has seized me...After all
    I think I will not hang myself today.

X (or) Y=X and Y=-X Jean-Baptiste's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
    The least pain in our little finger gives us more concern and uneasiness than the destruction of millions of our fellow-beings.

(William Hazlitt)
    Wow! That's awful! I like it very much.

Welcome to the forums, Sylph!
    These fragments I have shored against my ruins

James Joyce, the pirate. Why don't you write books people can read? -Nora Barnacle

Insupportable claim: Reading my stories will make you a better person. Do your best to prove me right. http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=20367