Page 87 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3777828384858687888990919297137 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

It ain't over 'till its over from Rocky 4.

"Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence; the gift of revulsion against its implications; the gift of foresight - something utterly foreign to the blundering short-term ways of natural selection - and the gift of internalizing the very cosmos."
    - Richard Dawkins

Humbling, uplifting, and so damn true.

These three are my favourites:

“There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.” - Johann Wolfgang

"You don’t need intelligence to have luck, but you do need luck to have intelligence" - Jewish Proverb

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows." - Dwight D. Eisenhower
    “A writer is not so much someone who has something to say as he is someone who has found a process that will bring about new things he would not have thought of if he had not started to say them. That is, he does not draw on a reservoir; instead, he engages in an activity that brings to him a whole succession of unforeseen stories, poems, essays, plays, laws, philosophies, religions . . .”

William Stafford quotes

The best thing to hold on to in life is each other. - Audrey Hepburn

Robert Frost

A tribute to the living? We are away beneath the sombre pines, amid a solitude that dreams to the ceaseless monotone of the west wind, the blue sky looking sleepily between the slowly bending boughs, and to, its veil of morning mist, uplifted by the morning breeze, white as pure thought, the monument of monuments. {from "A Monument to After-Thought Unveiled"}

poirot

The world is full of good people doing bad things.
    hercule poirot by agatha christie

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

"Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher."

Albert Einstein

Pray: To ask the laws of the universe to be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
    Ambrose Bierce

Ambrose Bierce

Corporation: An ingenious device for obtaining profit without individual responsibility.
    Ambrose Bierce

tea drinker
    Those who hold back rising anger like a rolling chariot are real charioteers. Others merely hold the reins.

from the Dhammapada, translated by Eknath Easwaran.
    Last edited by Zhu; 06-17-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Robert Frost

"But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Newbie Writer
    "Andy Dufrene, who crawled through a river of **** and came out clean on the other side."

The Shawshank Redemption - Spoken by Red/Morgan Freeman

The humour in this one just gets me and makes me smile every time I read/hear it.

"He is richest who is content with the least." - Socrates

"Work like you don’t need money, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one’s watching." - Unknown author

"Just the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." —Robert Wilensky

"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I’m beginning to believe it." —Clarence Darrow

To name a few.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I am quite prepared to meet my Maker.
    Whether my Maker is prepared to meet me is another matter.

Winston Churchill.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Heh, was reminded of this the other day:

"I'm the Bishop of Southwark; it's what I do!"
    - The Bishop of Southwark

Google the quote if you don't know the story - I love that guy...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche