Page 138 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3888128133134135136137138139 LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2072

Thread: What is your favorite quote? And why?

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    So why do they have such a short working week and more national holidays than most EU countries?

I include GB at the current juncture.

We can endure any truth, however destructive, provided it replace everything, provided it affords as much vitality as the hope for which is substitutes.

It sounds even better in original:

On peut supporter n'importe quelle vérité, si destructrice soit-elle, à condition qu'elle tienne lieu de tout, qu'elle compte autant de vitalité que l'espoir auquel elle s'est substituée.

E.M. Cioran, De l'inconvénient d'être né

mcoya
    Hello everybody,
    I want to share with you the first paragraph of one of my favourite novels, The Egyptian by Mika Waltari.
    "I, SINUHE, the son of Senmut and of his wife Kipa, write this. I donot write it to the glory of the gods in the land of Kem, for I am weary of gods, nor to the glory of the Pharaohs, for I am weary of their deeds. I write neither from fear nor from any hope of the future but for myself alone. During my life I have seen, known, and lost too much to be theprey of vain dread; and, as for the hope of immortality, I am as weary of that as I am of gods and kings. For my own sake only I write this; andherein I differ from all other writers, past and to come."

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Bonaparte

Banned
    Never let success get to your head. Never let failure get to your heart.

"The Soul selects her own Society - then - Shuts the door to her divine majority" - Emily Dickinson

It had me write this song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1v7...&feature=share

"Good teaching is 1/4 preparation and 3/4 theatre." Gail Godwin

Favorite quote in what category? I'm rather fond of (this is regarding directing Theatre) "90% of directing, is correcting the mistakes you made in casting." Pablo Neruda from THE CAPTAIN'S VERSES Letter on the Road: ...' and in the midst of life I shall be
    always
    beside the friend, facing the enemy,
    with your name on my mouth
    and a kiss that never
    broke away from yours. ' ...
    And KING LEAR has several:
    ...' As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
    They kill us for their sport.' ...

“Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” Robert Louis Stevenson

"I am not crying," said Miss Pross; "you are."
    - A Tale of Two Cities, Book II, Chapter XVIII. Nine Days.

"I'm not crying. You are." is a popular internet meme, but nobody is crediting Dickens for this. It is possible someone thought of this apart from A Tale of Two Cities, but Dickens should still get the credit.

Any other Internet memes from classics?

The villainy you teach me/ I will execute

From Shylock in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. So many ways to read it, but I tend to go with the way you treat me is how I will treat you. It's helped me get through some fairly hideous stuff.

Michael Pritchard

"You don't stop laughing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop laughing".

Veni, vidi. vici.
    I came, I saw, I conquered.

fave quote ...

I wish I could tell you boys (slightly drunk) just what the hell this is all gonna mean to us years from now. We're storin' up memories, and that's a fact. They ain't, all right I said ain't even if I am in college, but s__t I'm just plain folks, they ain't a one of you I'll ever forget, that's the goddam Lesbian truth.

from Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead

Over the years people have speculated as to what this expression means and it is actually quite simple:

Several millennia ago each segment of society had its own gods or goddesses just like today when Catholic have their patron saints for, say, bakers or travelers or any other line of work. To the ancients in various cultures, lesbians had their own goddesses. Perhaps by no strange coincidence to various pagan cultures, the goddesses of lesbians were also the goddesses of Truth.

What did this mean to ancient pagans? It needs to be understood that same sex amorous affairs were far more common and more accepted than they are today. In fact there were some that practiced sexual exclusion such as the Amazons and their male counterparts Gargareans. Both tribes practiced homosexuality. There were others historically though very few in number. To the ancients very often the lesbian relationship was viewed as the most honest and most natural form of human relationship. Thus, no surprise that their goddess of Truth were also goddesses of lesbians.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

“The difference between listening and pretending to listen, I discovered, is enormous. One is fluid, the other is rigid. One is alive, the other is stuffed. Eventually, I found a radical way of thinking about listening. Real listening is a willingness to let the other person change you. When I’m willing to let them change me, something happens between us that’s more interesting than a pair of dueling monologues.”
    ― Alan Alda, Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned