Thread: The Book of Revelations

The Book of Revelations

The Throne or Heaven (Chapter 4:6-8)

Who or what do the four (4) living creatures which came out of the sea of glass, clear as crystal before the throne of heavean? They were covered with eyes all around; what does this represent? And what do the six (6) wings represent?

The first living creature was a lion with six wings;

The second living creature was like an ox with six wings;

The third had a face like a man with six wings;

The fourth was like an eagle with six wings;

Can anyone give an a interpretation of this symbolism? I was told by some who studied biblical text that six (6) is represented as a number of imperfection and seven (7) is represented as a perfect number in bibilical terms. Does anyone know?
    Last edited by HunterBrown1968; 12-29-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: punctuation
    "My hope in my life is to strive for beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and kindness without pretense."

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    "The first living creature was a lion with six wings;
    The second living creature was like an ox with six wings;
    The third had a face like a man with six wings;
    The fourth was like an eagle with six wings;"

It's a mug's game, trying to interpret the Book of Revelations.

However, I think those creatures are generally reckoned to symbolize the four evangelists - Mark, Luke, Matthew & John respectively.

Clearly, a creature with seven wings would fly round in circles, but why those above should have six, rather than four or eight I have no idea.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the Bible 7 is considered the number of God, which would be perfection, yes.

A lion is strength
    An ox is sacrifice
    A man is knowledge
    A eagle is flight or resurrection

To cover the face with two wings means they could not bear to behold the glory of God

To cover the feet with two wings is humility, as Moses at the Burning Bush was told to remove his shoes

The other two were for flight.

Any disagreements are welcome, I am well aware I could be wrong.

God Bless

Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    As Whifflingpin has mentioned, the are representing Mattew, Mark, Luke and John. (think luke is the one with visage of a man). They are four that will stand at the four corners of the earth (a representation made when people believed the world was flat with four corners) and herald the end of mortal life. (also think of the prayer
    "there are four corners on my bed,
    there are four angels over head,
    Mattew, Mark, Luke and John,
    Bless the bed that I lay on"
    The images of them in these forms are very famous amongst early church texts including the Book Of Kells here in Ireland.
    This is taken from the Book Of Kells.

Also what Pen has said is the symbolism of these facades.
    hope this helps.
    Last edited by Niamh; 12-29-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Hunterbrown

This is something of a fascination with me also and as always it's ever developing into a richer and richer study. I do not understand it completely but I can tell you at least what I have come to understand so far.

In the the wilderness wanderings of the Israelites after the Exodus from Egypt their was a sanctuary erected where God would "dwell amongst them". The interesting thing about this is that the Sanctuary was placed in the middle of all the tribes, twelve in total, so that each side of the sanctuary had three tribes, the sanctuary being in a rectangular shape.

In each set of three there was one who was chief, so that for each side of the sanctuary you have one tribe as chief. Here is where you find a reference to the four beasts in Revelation 4, let me explain why:

The Sanctuary was set to the compass directions so that each side is a direction of the compass, North, East etc..

So the four chief tribes are

Dan in the North
    Ephraim in the West
    Reuben in the South
    and Judah in the East

Each tribe had a banner with a picture that would represent that tribe

Dan - An Eagle with a snake in it's claws
    Ephraim - An Ox
    Reuben - A man
    and Judah - A lion

Fascinating huh?

So here you have these four tribes around the sanctuary in which God dwelt, so in effect you have four tribes around the dwelling place of God just as you have the four beasts of those banners around the throne of God in Rev 4. Also if you look at the articles of furniture within the sanctuary, for instance the seven golden candlesticks, then you find those also in Rev 4.

Isn't it amazing? and theres so much more like this that it just BOGGLES the mind

You cannot understand Revelation without the Old Testament, there are just sooo many references to it

As regarding the six wings if you look in Isaiah 6 you see that the angels that stand on either side of the throne(there you have another reference to the sanctuary being built around the throne, for there were two angels on either side of the mercy seat in the sanctuary), these two angels in Isaiah 6 have six wings also

Again if you look in Ezekial chapter one you see the characteristics of these beasts named again only this time they have four wings, why is that?

Also each beast plays a role in the opening of the first four seals in the chapter six of Revelation, why is that? Does each seal have the characteristics of each beast? or what else could it mean. You can see how this becomes quickly interesting right?

But are they angels? because they seem to join in praising the Lamb with the twenty four elders saying "thou wast slain and hath redeemed us to God" Rev 5:9. The lamb did not come to redeem Angels but mankind. So who are they?

Hope this has been somewhat helpful

According to II Peter 2:4, '' God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment.''

And in I Corinthians 6:1-2, it is written ''the saints will judge the world and the angels''.

Since saints are those chosen who adhere to Jesus' teachings, it would appear that he came to redeem angels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    In the Bible 7 is considered the number of God, which would be perfection, yes.

A lion is strength
    An ox is sacrifice
    A man is knowledge
    A eagle is flight or resurrection

To cover the face with two wings means they could not bear to behold the glory of God

To cover the feet with two wings is humility, as Moses at the Burning Bush was told to remove his shoes

The other two were for flight.

Any disagreements are welcome, I am well aware I could be wrong.

God Bless

Pen
    I like your comparisons and tend to use it sometime, somewhere.....
    I would add:
    Matthew = Jesus is King (Lion)
    Mark = Jesus is servant (ox)
    Luke = Jesus is man (man)
    John = Jesus is God (Eagle)

Also the Exodus camps were set up in 4 quarters , lion, ox, man, eagle

Quote Originally Posted by hellsapoppin View Post
    According to II Peter 2:4, '' God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment.''

And in I Corinthians 6:1-2, it is written ''the saints will judge the world and the angels''.

Since saints are those chosen who adhere to Jesus' teachings, it would appear that he came to redeem angels as well.
    I just see judgment in those verses, no words in ref to saving

The purpose of the Last Judgment is to determine who will be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsapoppin View Post
    The purpose of the Last Judgment is to determine who will be saved.

Those who are "saved" and "damned" (who chose to be "saved" or "damned") will have already made their decisions long before the Final Judgment. Since it is not God's will that anyone be "lost," God witholds the Judgment as long as necessary in order to let all those who wish to be saved to make that decision.

The Final Judgment is the "sentencing," not the "verdict." It is the final reckoning that the entire world - believer and non - will witness.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

In any court, before a verdict is reached the plaintiff must give an accounting of his actions after evidence from the prosecutor has been presented. A verdict is rendered, and then a sentencing phase is reached. Thus, sentencing is the final act in a trial sequence.

In Romans 14:11,12 the person must give an accounting of his life's deeds and misdeeds in the Judgment Day. Therefore, the verdict could not possibly have taken place, otherwise such an effort would be procedurally superfluous.

Then, the final verdict will take place by divine determination as per I Peter 1:17.

Just as a side note, this all backs up the previous note I made about the fact that you do not go to heaven upon death as you previously said: ''It is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgment. '' (Hebrews 9:27) See how it does not say, ''die, go to heaven, then the Judgment Day''.

In order for that to be true Hellsapoppin you would have to find other texts which reference the fallen angels as the object of salvation or having the ability to become saints, because such texts only reference humanity.

I don't see those texts as sufficient for supporting your claim

lol
    i think that you need to refer to the introduction of the book of revalations... maybe it could clear your mind.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the 'mug's game' camp on this book, although Pendragon's assessment echoes the better commentary I've read and heard.

Two things I'll add to the discussion:

First, wild speculation: Through a series of steps, now forgotten, I understand the 'sea' before the throne to be a vessel, like the laver in the temple. The sea in Revelation sounds like something large, but smaller than an ocean, and the picture of a vessel of crystal before the throne fits a little better than having the throne on a beach facing the water. A picture of angels emptying their vials into this vessel has a ritualistic feel, whereas dumping them in the ocean just seems weird.

Or not. This kind of thing is why I no longer bother trying to sort out prophesy. We/I have a hard enough time with going the extra mile, turning the other cheek, and taking up our cross.

Second, nitpicking: It's 'Revelation,' not 'Revelations.' 'Revelations' sounds like something Big Dan Teague would say. Did say. Along with 'Genesee' and 'gustation.' Almost the right word, but not quite.