Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Is nudity wrong?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, keep yourself covered up man!

8 17.78%
  • Only for some people

8 17.78%
  • Only for Lote

2 4.44%
  • No way man, get yer kit off!

13 28.89%
  • Brr, it's too cold to be naked, where's my winter coat?

10 22.22%
  • I'm sitting on the fence, there are splinters in my bum!

3 6.67%
  • Definitely not, if you're Jessica Alba, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, etc

0 0%
  • What's this poll about?

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with being naked?

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's wrong with being naked?

In another thread there was some lighthearted discussion going on about nudity, and a comment was made (a completely correct comment, by the way) that being nude in public is considered indecent exposure, and is a criminal offence. This is certainly true in UK, although I suppose it's only indecent exposure if someone sees you

Anyway, this is a subject I have thought about in the past, and I wrote a poem about it, which you can read here, if you're interested : http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=27800

what occurred to me, when I was thinking about it, was the question of why it is considered indecent, wrong for a person to be naked, when this is their natural state. We are born naked, clothes are technology, we have to manufacture them artificially to our natural state. It's like saying it's an arrestable offence to be without a mobile phone, or a watch, or something along those lines.

So, what is is about being naked that is wrong?

What say you?
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement
    This is certainly true in UK, although I suppose it's only indecent exposure if someone sees you
    Fifth, I admire your powers of reasoning

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as such if everyone walked around naked in public, then it wouldn't be indecend exposure

I suppose it's because some prudes (let's blame it on male patriarchs, OK? ) believe that the only time you should be naked is when you're having sex and since you're not supposed to have sex in public, you're not supposed to be naked, either.

I think if nudity was the norm, no-one would associate it with sex this way. ???

edit:
    I'm sitting on the fence, there are splinters in my bum!
    did you make this up or is it a common saying (the splinters part I mean). I like it

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Supreme Being - you should have made it multi-choice!

I could have voted more than one option there.

But I have voted to get your kit off
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Blog Entries
    have you guys heard of the leopard man (or maybe it was another big cat). he lives in Scotland, I think (or in England). His whole body is tattoed and he doesn't wear any clothes. He built himself a kind of peat hut out in the heaths and he's got a library in it. He spend all day reading his books or going for walks. He's got some saving so he can buy food, milk etc, but otherwise he doesn't work etc.
    I want to be a leopard man, too

I had a long discussion on this with some of my housemates from Northern Ireland and was quite surprised by their reactions. I guess the fact that I'm from the Canary Islands makes me more open minded when it comes ot this topic.

I think that nudity is perfectly natural and that clothes are, like you've said and I can't have put it better, "technology, we have to manufacture them artificially to our natural state".

Nudity is associated to sexuality in out culture, and people still consider sex a taboo. I think it was Diocles who used to masturbate in public because he considered that there was nothing wrong in doing so. Then he spoke of natural needs and artificial ones. Artificial needs would be the ones which have been established socially.

Therefore, clothes when used as protection from the cold, of other things (such as sitting on a fence :P) are a comodity, they're technology. And when used estetically they're totally pointless, an artificial need and a social statement... which then give away a lot about personality, social class... bla bla bla (I'm getting carried away now... my thoughts always come out so messy as well... I usually have to reorder essays a million times, I hope I'm understood in these three paragraphs :P).

I spent hours talking about this with my housemates, one who even said that "seeing a girl in a bikini was disgusting".

no need to say 'goodbye' browneyedbailey's Avatar
    A world where anything and everything happens....
    Blog Entries
    Bleck!
    "I'm afriad to fall," she whispered.
    "I'll catch you," he replied.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    I dont walk around naked for fear of jealous people attacking me
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturna View Post
    I think that nudity is perfectly natural and that clothes are, like you've said and I can't have put it better, "technology, we have to manufacture them artificially to our natural state".
    "Industry is the root of all ugliness."
    Oscar Wilde, Phrases and Philosophies for the Use of the Young

"Greek dress was in its essence inartisitic. Nothing should reveal the body but the body."
    Oscar Wilde, Phrases and Philosophies for the Use of the Young

I voted the same as Lote.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    In another thread there was some lighthearted discussion going on about nudity, and a comment was made (a completely correct comment, by the way) that being nude in public is considered indecent exposure, and is a criminal offence. This is certainly true in UK, although I suppose it's only indecent exposure if someone sees you

Anyway, this is a subject I have thought about in the past, and I wrote a poem about it, which you can read here, if you're interested : http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=27800

what occurred to me, when I was thinking about it, was the question of why it is considered indecent, wrong for a person to be naked, when this is their natural state. We are born naked, clothes are technology, we have to manufacture them artificially to our natural state. It's like saying it's an arrestable offence to be without a mobile phone, or a watch, or something along those lines.

So, what is is about being naked that is wrong?

What say you?
    Nudity is "wrong" in modern society because it implies sexuality, which is also a no no in modern society.

It always cracked me up about how some people hated how the Voyager spacecrafts had pictures of naked people on them. Someone said, "I can't believe my taxpayer dollars are being sent to send indecencies into space."

Do they want E.T. to think that clothes are fused to our skin naturally?

But I don't think I'd want to walk around naked. It's too cold. And also because of the connotations it brings obviously, in some places. It would definitley be uncomfortable. But when you think about it, it's also a matter of where you are. There are topless beaches in Europe and tropical places.
    Last edited by Lily Adams; 12-28-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post

I suppose it's because some prudes (let's blame it on male patriarchs, OK? ) believe that the only time you should be naked is when you're having sex and since you're not supposed to have sex in public, you're not supposed to be naked, either.

I think if nudity was the norm, no-one would associate it with sex this way. ???
    Wow, do you shower with clothes on?

I don't know, to prudity I'd add insecurity. Which is of course another society-induced fear, I guess cavemen and women didn't compare themselves to actor and supermodels...although maybe they had their own, more instinctive idea of beauty... When I was in Russia or in Finland my friends invited me to try sauna, which in both places is traditional. Even if I'm curious about traditions, I just couldn't accept that because being somewhere naked, even if among other women and in a place where everyone is naked and is certainly not paying attention, would make me feel quite bad.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

In Finland they see nudity as a normal thing... and don't relate it to sexuality. They all do the sauna thing togehter... They even have festivals with saunas!! I was discussing it with a Finnish friend of mine once.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    Wow, do you shower with clothes on?
    nope, I personally don't. but I saw a documentary about nudism once and they interviewed some very prudish people and this one girl said: "The only time I'm naked is when I'm having sex with my partner and that's a very intimate thing. That's why I could never be a nudist."
    I asked myself the same question as you

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    have you guys heard of the leopard man (or maybe it was another big cat). he lives in Scotland, I think (or in England). His whole body is tattoed and he doesn't wear any clothes. He built himself a kind of peat hut out in the heaths and he's got a library in it. He spend all day reading his books or going for walks. He's got some saving so he can buy food, milk etc, but otherwise he doesn't work etc.
    I want to be a leopard man, too
    I have seen this guy (i think on a tv program with weird stuff)..i want to be a leopard (wo)man too

Nudity is associated to sexuality in out culture, and people still consider sex a taboo. I think it was Diocles who used to masturbate in public because he considered that there was nothing wrong in doing so. Then he spoke of natural needs and artificial ones. Artificial needs would be the ones which have been established socially.
    greek perverts (what's wrong with these people? ) *Joking*
    We have many beaches here only for nudists. Never been to one of them, though.

I had a long discussion on this with some of my housemates from Northern Ireland and was quite surprised by their reactions. I guess the fact that I'm from the Canary Islands makes me more open minded when it comes ot this topic.

Therefore, clothes when used as protection from the cold, of other things (such as sitting on a fence :P) are a comodity, they're technology. And when used estetically they're totally pointless, an artificial need and a social statement... which then give away a lot about personality, social class... bla bla bla (I'm getting carried away now... my thoughts always come out so messy as well... I usually have to reorder essays a million times, I hope I'm understood in these three paragraphs :P).

I spent hours talking about this with my housemates, one who even said that "seeing a girl in a bikini was disgusting".
    I agree with most of the things you say. I also believe that much of the prejudice (against nudity) comes from the church (who has demonised sex in past centuries).

Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    I dont walk around naked for fear of jealous people attacking me

Bah! You are just afraid of the pointing and laughing
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    what occurred to me, when I was thinking about it, was the question of why it is considered indecent, wrong for a person to be naked, when this is their natural state.
    Now now Supreme Being! You need to have a better argument than it's being natural state! If you use natural as an argument then there many "natural" thing that will destroy our society. Murder, Rape and pillage - these have been natural state of our human's past!

If natural state is nakedness then all northern European and American Alaskans will be dead by winter

And all the Saharan and middleasterners would be burn to toast

So Supreme Being - is the a better argument from you?

My argument would be that human body - especially the female body is such a beautiful thing. So I subscribe nakedness for Admiration of Beauty
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lote-Tree View Post
    Now now Supreme Being! You need to have a better argument than it's being natural state! If you use natural as an argument then there many "natural" thing that will destroy our society. Murder, Rape and pillage - these have been natural state of our human's past!

If natural state is nakedness then all northern European and American Alaskans will be dead by winter

And all the Saharan and middleasterners would be burn to toast

So Supreme Being - is the a better argument from you?

My argument would be that human body - especially the female body is such a beautiful thing. So I subscribe nakedness for Admiration of Beauty
    So, what you're saying is that it's indecent because of the implications of nakedness, rather than nakedness itself, or are you just avoiding the question like always

And your argument is flawed - what about tribes in Africa who exist in a largely unclothed state - they aren't burnt to toast, just not feeble weaklings like us westerners, and there are ways to keep warm in winter without clothing

Apart from that, yes you are right murder, rape and pillage are part of the natural state of affairs, these things go on no matter how clothed we are, covering up seems to make no difference, but if we were naked all the time...who knows, perhaps we would make love, not war after all? And it's wrong to place nakedness in the same classification as murder, rape, etc - does nakedness harm anyone, shouldn't we only deplore behaviour which is harmful to others?

I agree with one point though, the human body is the most beautiful and remarkable thing that we can experience, and we should treat it as such, not something to be hidden and giggled or sniggered about in embarrassment. But when it comes to the human body we have double standards. When a human form is cleaved out of marble it is art, when my neighbour sunbathes naked in his garden it's indecent exposure - this to me does not make sense!
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast