Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought Police

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Belle View Post
    How long do you think the thought police have been tracking or following Winston? Was it seven years because he had the dream of O'Brian, hearing O'Brian telling him they would meet in the place of no darkness seven years ago? Or was it from the point when Winston bought the journal and pen at the antique shop? Just wondering...
    We were discussing this the other day.

The first thing is that Outer Party members are watched all the time. On top of that, the Thought Police had clearly been interested in Winston for many years - quite how many we don't know, but at least the seven is my pick.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Hey Bazarov,
    you cannot use the modern usage of the word oligarch as the modern usage was not relevant when Orwell constructed goldstein's book. Could it be argued, F scott fitzgerald and the great gatsby, Within this book Gatsby has many gay times. I would argue he was not homosexual and this usage of the word was meant in the older meaning, abounding in social pleasures. It would be wrong for me to read and interpret this in the modern usage of the word according to the dictionary. therefore surely the same must apply to Goldsteins book and the word Oligarch?

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    That's a modern usage. I don't even think such a use existed in 1948 and Orwell was using this one.
    I agree with the definition provided by The Atheist. It fully supports how Orwell was writing at the time and what he was writing about. Big Brother (the Party) is ruled by an elite few. The Inner Party. Though you become that elite few through evaluation not inheritance. Nothing to do with wealth or social class. (well the Proles wouldn't be able to become Inner, but thats a given)
    The wish to acquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned. But when they lack the ability to do so and yet want to acquire more at all costs, they deserve condemnation for their mistakes.

-Machiavelli

I admitted already that my modern usage made fuzz here, I am sorry; again Mea culpa.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    I admitted already that my modern usage made fuzz here, I am sorry; again Mea culpa.
    It was nothing against you bazarov, your opinion is viewed highly on here. No need to apologize.
    The wish to acquire more is admittedly a very natural and common thing; and when men succeed in this they are always praised rather than condemned. But when they lack the ability to do so and yet want to acquire more at all costs, they deserve condemnation for their mistakes.

-Machiavelli

I know, but still...

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.

Patient Surveillance

Seven years before Winston's arrest, O'Brien's Thought Police place Winston under surveillance. They know about the prostitute, and the 'thick, quarto-sized blank book with a red back and a marbled cover' bought from the empty 'junk-shop', run by their agent, Mr Charrington. A month or two later Winston rents the first-story room of the shop, and invites Julia to the room, where they interact in full view of the concealed telescreen.

They then continue to use the room until O'Brien finds the thing each fears the most, and gains their fervent trust.

Is this summary accurate?
    Last edited by Gladys; 05-28-2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Previous misunderstanding corrected

Yes, that's correct.

Memory holes?

I don't recall reading that there were any active chimneys coming out of the ministry building, so:

Did anyone else wonder if the papers dropped into memory holes (oh, the sweet irony actually landed into the hands of thinkpol, rather than being incinerated? Perhaps the warm gusts of air were actually an elaborate facade?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisian View Post
    I don't recall reading that there were any active chimneys coming out of the ministry building, so:

Did anyone else wonder if the papers dropped into memory holes (oh, the sweet irony actually landed into the hands of thinkpol, rather than being incinerated? Perhaps the warm gusts of air were actually an elaborate facade?
    Yes indeed; I can't imagine things being burnt without scrutiny.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

I think that the thought police began watching him 7 years before 1984.I think that the journal just added to the knowledge that the thought police had about winston

I don't think the Thought Police were really "tracking" Winston. They don't need to... All thought crime is eventually caught. A major theme of the book is that there is no escape. Big Brother is Watching you and there is NO way to hide from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Belle View Post
    How long do you think the thought police have been tracking or following Winston? Was it seven years because he had the dream of O'Brian, hearing O'Brian telling him they would meet in the place of no darkness seven years ago? Or was it from the point when Winston bought the journal and pen at the antique shop? Just wondering...
    It was probably when Winston started hiding from the telescreen in his flat.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

It seems to me that the thought police merely observe everyones actions all the time for signs of potential rebellion. But, to aid them in their search, they have little traps like the antique shop running all the time to help catch anyone that they may have missed in observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf13 View Post
    It seems to me that the thought police merely observe everyones actions all the time for signs of potential rebellion. But, to aid them in their search, they have little traps like the antique shop running all the time to help catch anyone that they may have missed in observation.
    The thought police is all over the world, in any country, communist, tyrannical, etc. In USA it is to protect freedom of speech and democracy, which is precisely why there are some idiots preaching as much nonsense as they wish. And why would they care so much about their privacy of thought when they don't care at all in what they say over the internet? This is not going to change. It will become simply more openly exposed and justified as it should for the advantage of the moral man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast