Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Favourite childhood book?

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth Speare.
    For some reason, I've been thinking bout it lately...as in a desire to read it again. It's just one of those early books that have always stuck with me. Its so random, all I did was pick it up at those elementary scholastic book fairs. Now I can't seem to get rid of it.

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    I remember being quite fond of Dinosaur Roar. Read it to my kindergarten class. I've always liked dinosaurs...

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Everything by Astrid Lindgren- especially Karlsson, stories about Emil from Lonneberga and "Mio, my Mio"

A bit later came Alfred Szklarski series about Tomek
    And after that there were Julel Vernes and Dumas

Blog Entries
    Jules Verne, Theodore Dreiser- An American Tragedy

but my favorites in 5th grade... Tuck Everlasting and The Giver
    "All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours." -Aldous Huxley

"Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." -William Blake

As I may have mentioned elsewhere - I started out on Little Women and reread it many many times.

I always loved the Little Critter series by Mercer Mayer.
    Last edited by illuminatus; 01-17-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to italicize

Samanth
    oh it has to be Heidi or Little Women - brilliant!

Blog Entries
    Ronia Daughter of the Bandit by Astrid Lingren. (In spanish it was Ronja, la hija del bandolero)
    Shall these bones live?

Literature Lover AngelofPhantoms's Avatar
    Underneath an opera house or in an old cathedral
    My favorites were and stil are:

Wizard of Oz (My first real chapter book)
    "Little House" books (Loved the show, had to read the books)
    Anything by Roald Dahl, especially Chocolate Factory, Matilda,and Danny, Champion of the World
    "You're my soul come scavenging for me, I can feel it," said the Witch. "I won't have it, I won't have it. I won't have a soul; with a soul there is everlastingness, and life has tortured me enough."
    -Elphaba to Dorothy in Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

the Nancy Drew series.
    "He lives most gaily who knows best how to deceive himself. Ha-ha!"
    - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

Quote Originally Posted by bouquin View Post
    the Nancy Drew series.
    I read them too, all those I could find in the library They were my favourites when I was 7 and 8 years old

I started reading books at the age of 6, but I can't remember which of my favourite books I actually read myself for the first time, since my father used to read to me and my brother even when we both had already learned to read ourselves.

I do remember liking Narnia and Montgomery's and Alcott's books, I still like to re-read them every now and then.
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

I didn't read a lot when i was a kid, only things related to school, i was not reading for my personal pleasure, but even though i've enjoyed and still enjoy Le Petit Prince d'Antoine de Saint Exupéry which is a book in French for a French author, of course, i've also read Alice in Wanderland.
    "La dignité n'est qu'un paravent placé par l'orgueil et derrière lequel nous enrageons à notre aise." Honoré de balzac.
    "La réalité implacable me conduirait au suicide si le rêve ne me permettait d'attendre". Guy de Maupassant.

Tu le connais, lecteur... Kafka's Crow's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I very much grew up on Russian Folk Tales. I loved those simple stories, the adventures of Illia of Mourum who caught the whistling highwayman, Nakita the Tanner who killed the horrible dragon with his dagger, Baba Yaga the witch whose hut stood on chiken-feet. I loved those stories. Then I moved on to Edgar Rice Burroghs' Tarzan in four volumes, read a lot of Adventure Series by Willard Price and also read Hardy Boys books.

My ten year old son is reading the Redwall series these days. He has already read 12 volumes back to back. He loves them. He asked a strange question the other day, "These books are great. Harry Potter series is not that great. I wonder why people like it so much?" This gave me a chance to explain the concepts of 'marketing' and 'hype' to a ten year old. I am sure he will never forget this lesson.
    "The farther he goes the more good it does me. I don’t want philosophies, tracts, dogmas, creeds, ways out, truths, answers, nothing from the bargain basement. He is the most courageous, remorseless writer going and the more he grinds my nose in the sh1t the more I am grateful to him..."
    -- Harold Pinter on Samuel Beckett

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Narnia Books,
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

I remember being around 11 years old, and living in a social demographic that associated reading for the mere pleasure of it as a thing for the educated and/or rich. I was in the fifth grade, and our teacher read us Wilson Rawls' Where the Red Fern Grows. I was mesmerized, and hooked. I hung on every word. From then on, in school, I was a regular visitor to the library and checking out the books no one else wanted to read. Before I was in high school, I had read much of Hemingway, Jack London, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, R.L. Stevenson, Dickens, Hawthorne, and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (modern english translations, of course). When it came time to do book reports, I usually was the first with one.

During my 10th year, my English teacher spent the last 15 minutes of class just reading us mythology. She was chastised and eventually terminated because of this. Baptist town associated such things with religion, and mythology was anathema to them. But again, I loved it, and now gravitate to books with mythological depth about them.