Thread: Request for information

Question Request for information

I have recently found a number of works by Dickens which have been in the family for a very long time.

The collection consists of 15 volumes, known as the Household Edition, and published by Chapman & Hall. They all contain illustrations - for example, "The Uncommercial Traveller" contains 26 illustrations by E.G. Dalziel. Other volumes are illustrated by different artists, although Barnard appears more than once.

There are no dates of publication in any of the books, and I am keen to establish the age and provenance of the collection ( I do not even know if it is a complete set, or merely a random collection). I intend to keep the books for future generations, but need to know the value (or otherwise!). They may need to be insured, and although mostly in surprisingly good condition, some of them certainly need some restoration, if such is worth considering.

If anybody could provide any insight into this for me, I should be most grateful.

Blog Entries
    You can look on eBay--'antique booskseller' or somesuch, or, abebooks.com to see if they have the same or similar. You could also try contacting aficionados at http://www.dickensmuseum.com/ or say http://www.dickensfellowship.org/
    Forum Rules FAQ Tags Blogs Groups Quizzes e-Texts
    ◕‿◕ currently reading Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark, Bill Dedman (2013)

"the dogs bark but the caravan moves on" --Arab proverb