Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your family's traditional Xmas Meal

I don't think my family has a tradtional feast. This year was excellent so far (it is 6:20 AM
    on Christmas morning right now). I will describe the several "feasts" which I have attended so far (warning: my famly is big!).

My family, that is my bro, two sisters and both parents, firs went to my grandma's house (on my mother's side) for lunch on Dec. 23. Chili as the main dish. It was ccompanied by all sorts of "snack" foods (we feast buffet style). There were tons of deviled (sp?) eggs, dill pickles wrapped in ham with cream cheese, those little sausages wrapped in cheese and crescent rolls, and last but not least we ate butter pecan ice cream.

Later that day (the 23rd), we went to my parents' friend's house, were we ate BBQ chiken sandwiches, shrimp, cookies, and several other "snack" foods. We also drank apple martinis (or something to that extent, they didn't have any alcohol).

Even later that day (still the 23rd), we went to another Christmas party at another friend's house. There, we ate anything and everything, including chips and dip (good dip, mind you, there was a taco dip and a chicken wing dip), sweet potato pie, some sort of cheesecake, and several other "snack" foods (true Americans never get tired of snacking ).

Yesterday (the 24th), we went to celebrate Christmas with my fathers side of the family. First, we went to eat lunch at my Uncle's and Aunt's house, where we ate lasagna (several dishes of lasagna, each made differently with sausage and/or hamburger), salad, shrimp (this seems to be common for special occasions), and garlic bread. This was the first actual meal we ate for Christmas. No snacks here.

Then we went to our other Uncle's and Aunt's house, were we ate mac and cheese, lasagna, garlic knots, mini eclairs, shrimp, chips and dip, egg rolls, etc., etc. Needless to say, there were more snacks than I could count.

That includes everything until now, Christmas morning. Today, we are due again at my grandma's house (on my mom's side of the family), where we will eat again. Tomorrow, my grandmother (on my biological father's side of the family; don't ask), will be taking my family to a new Chinese buffet. I can't wait!

In summary, we usually don't have any traditional meals. Just good ol'-fashioned American snacking at its finest!
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    We usually have Turkey (gravy included), roast potatoes, brocolli and other veggies (ew ew ew), Yorkshire puddings and small sausages wrapped in bacon. With some wine of course... and diet coke for my brother. Pleasantly finsihed off with some after eights... THEN the snacking begins!
    "Then I feel, Harry, that I have given away my whole soul to someone who treats it as if it were a flower to put in his coat, a bit of decoration to charm his vanity, an ornament for a summer's day"
    Oscar Wilde [The Picture of Dorian Gray]

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Don't you put herring in it? We always put herring in it. That's why we dislike it.
    Some people do, and I guess that the traditional rosolli should have some herring it (sometimes it is called "sillisalaatti", "herring salad"), but we never do. I am glad about that, because I don't like herring either

Quote Originally Posted by Chava View Post
    My family too got tired of that and now we only have one massive bowl of plain rice porridge with butter, sugar and cinnamon. there is one almond in it, and whoever gets it gets the present... Guess who's won the last 7 years in a row?
    We always have an almond there, too I'm allergic to nuts and almonds, and once I almost ate it accidentally when I didn't notice having it in my spoonful of porridge
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Chava, we have rice porridge as well. We typically have it after the Christmas eve service. For Christmas eve supper we have swedish meatballs and mashed potatos, lefse, green beans with almonds, lutefisk, fruit soup and sandbakkels for desert. For Christmas morning we have caramel rolls and potato sausage and for our big meal, we have beef ragu, more lefse, various vegetable dishes and more sandbakkels. We also try to get some aebleskivers in while we're all together.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    my parents usually have wiener sausage and potato salad on Christmas Eve.
    that's pretty widespread. another Christmas Eve meal is battered carp with potato salad

the traditional German meal for Christmas Day is stuffed goose with dumplings, but my parents think that's too fatty and unhealthy. My dad made some Greek stuff today: beef with onions, carrots, wine etc for the carnivores and a rice dish with walnuts and raisins plus white beans with garlic, herbs and tomato sauce for the veggies.

loquacious cat mrawr
    Mmm.. &#230;bleskiver and lefse, both my danish and norwegian heritage. Yummi stuff.

We kind of have a tradtional meal. We always have Ham and Keilbasa and the rest of it usually changes. This year was a little different Christmas eve we had: Spaghetti, chicken, keilbasa, ham, cheesy potatos, cannoli, and salad. (I made the spaghetti just to do something different) Christmas day my cousin made: Chinese short ribs, Matzo Ball soup, Green Beans & Portabellos, Kugel, and Cracked Potatos.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12