Thread: Writing a Short Story

Writing a Short Story

I'm not sure if this thread would go in this section, but hey, here goes nothing

For my Independent Novel & Research Project, I've made up my mind to write a short story set in the Victorian time period with similar ideas/ themes to certain novels. I've read Jane Eyre and I'm currently reading Great Expectations (unfortunately, these 2 novels will be the only two I'll be able to read in the short time span I have). So my idea (or originally, my teacher's idea) is to write a short story (10-20 pages), which takes place in the Victorian era and which possesses similarities as to those in Jane Eyre & Great Expectations. I truly wish that I could read a larger amount of Victorian set novels, but time is against me.

My first step of course, is to research the Victorian time period. I have never studied Victorian history; therefore, I find myself quite lost. I'd like to begin my becoming familiar with the Victorian period--it's political and social matters (race, gender, education, social classes, etc.). From this research, I will be able to complete my research component of the project and thus I may be able to form ideas for the creation of my short story.

I have 3 weeks to complete my research and create my short story. I intend to spend the majority of my Christmas holiday working on this project. I will try to finish reading Great Expectations within the next week (I think I have read half of it), and then begin my research and planning process of the story.

If anyone knows any websites I should refer to or even certain specific information that you believe would benefit in my creating this short story, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, my teacher suggested that I should maybe rent some movies set in the Victorian time period to obtain a better understanding of the type of life back then (i.e.: Wuthering Heights). Does anyone know other movies that I can take a look at to better understand the Victorian life?

Overall, my short story will show my understanding of the Victorian era; I would like to be able to create an exciting and fulfilling story surrounding the development of a character and how he/she physically and mentally grew. I enjoy writing myself but this is the first time I take upon such a breath-taking project, so if anyone has any type of ideas to help me through this project, I would love you forever. I'm a female, so maybe if I choose to create a predominant female character, I may be able to associate and develop my character at a much higher level.

In the end, I plan to create a product with:
    - a Victorian setting (England?)
    - a main character that grows physically and mentally
    - the main character must also have a conscious, but most importantly a subconscious goal which they wish to accomplish
    - a number of plots: the main plot, and a series of sub-plots (i.e.: romance, or maybe romance could be my main plot)
    - ideas and themes of the Victorian era
    - anything else you think would help me

Oh, I forgot to mention that I will also have to write some kind of reflection "research essay" where I will have to analyze my novel and show the similarities between it and the two novels I read (Jane Eyre & Great Expectations). This can be in terms of themes, plot, character and even symbols/ archetypes/ motifs. Speaking of motifs, I'm really struggling with this concept, and my teacher suggested that I should include a motif in my story. Would someone be willing to help me in better understanding it and maybe helping me in coming up with a motif for my short story?

I will truly be thankful to all who help me with this project (if you want, I can also add you to my bibliography, after all, you will be a source of my work =D
    Last edited by Hunnii; 12-20-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Knowing your theme will help you find a motif.

What's commone between the books? Childhood, orphans, child abuse, social class, marriage ... true love.

I don't know much about the Victorian era, but Freud and a book titled My Secret Life comes to mind.

Against all odds?

The lower class envies the upper class privilege and the upper class envies the lower class freedom. The freedom I have in mine is sexuality or privistism.

I hope I have been of help.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

You’re reading a couple of my favorite novels. I don’t want to overwhelm you with information, but here are a few great websites:

www.victorianweb.com
    www.victorianpassage.com
    www.vos.ucsb.edu/browse.asp?id=2751

The first is a good starting point for your research. The second includes some journal entries actually written by people who lived during Victorian times (there’s another book written with just this subject, but its name escapes me right now. And the third site is very comprehensive; you can pick and choose what you want.

Why not watch the remake of Pride and Prejudice that was made a couple of years ago? It’s quite good.

And about ‘inserting’ the motif/symbolism ‘stuff’ – I’d just do my research, come up with an idea, and tell the story. I’d let the ‘literary critics’ decide what, if any, motif or symbolism I employed. In my humble opinion, writing that ‘aims’ for symbolism/motif comes across as contrived.

Hope I was of help to you. And good luck!

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Well there are a number of good referance books on the victorians , that you can dip in to...
    Liza picard's Victorian London is one
    The Victorian House: Domestic Life from Childbirth to Deathbed by Judith Flanders is another.
    I Have to check the shelf at work for other titles but both of those are so well organised and indexed that you can find prety much anything you need.

You could also read some short stories if you cant read any more full length novels, Id personally advise Gaskell.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Thanks guys
    I will definitely get onto your suggestions

Oh, lavendar1, you're third site isn't working
    & Nightshade, you do mean the author, Elizabeth Gaskell right? I couldn't find a short story titled Gaskell :s

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    I did... but mostly because Ive got her on the brain, rereading North and south and visiting the Gaskell musum soon, *shrug*
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading