Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546

Thread: Twilight

Quote Originally Posted by spookymulder93 View Post
    That trash literature has made millions of dollars so somebody obviously doesn't agree with you.
    There is a difference between producing good literature and producing mainstream trash that teenage girls will adore. Twilight is successful because it touches the hearts of millions of stupid teenagers that wants to sleep with Edward. It doesn't have to be good to sell, because the audience obviously has no judgemental power when it comes to literature. Does the average 13 years old girl notice if what she is reading is bad literature or not? No. Therefore the Twilight series sells to people that are oblivious that the crappy **** that they are reading, really is crappy ****.

If you consider that the most genious writers of all time have not at all been appriciated before after their death, it becomes obvious that if we reverse this fact, writers that are popular during their lifetime, may not be great writers at all. This is the case for Stephenie Meyer.

The thing that throws me off is the adults reading it. Are they just reading it because of the spank bank material that the cast of the movie has provided, or do they truly think this is the next best thing since, "War and Peace"? I dunno it bothers me to think that grown people can be that illiterate to think this is a good book...

I wonder, would the writers among you write a Twilightesque (speaking of quality and audience) series if you could? I most definitely would, although I would do it under a pen name so no one in my daily life would recognise it as my work. Alas, I could not write it even such a story even if I tried. Somehow it is beyond me.

I have to say I did get quite wrapped up in the first two novels, even though I think you're constantly aware of how terrible the quality of writing is. I don't know how many times she described Edward or his features as 'perfect' or 'marble like' or some other such thing. And how he feels frequent need to lift Bella off the floor and carry her from the car to the door, from the door to the car. Yes, it is immensely stupid, but I cannot deny I liked it. But when you get to the third novel, I don't know whether the drug wore off or the quality got worse, but I didn't care anymore and it got quite boring. I can see why people enjoy the books, but I think they are only enjoyable when you are, as I say, totally into it, because as soon as you step away the entire thing just seems absurd. It's just like eating junk food really, because it tastes good but it doesn't really offer you anything and you're hungry right after.
    Last edited by dicer; 06-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekarto View Post
    There is a difference between producing good literature and producing mainstream trash that teenage girls will adore. Twilight is successful because it touches the hearts of millions of stupid teenagers that wants to sleep with Edward. It doesn't have to be good to sell, because the audience obviously has no judgemental power when it comes to literature. Does the average 13 years old girl notice if what she is reading is bad literature or not? No. Therefore the Twilight series sells to people that are oblivious that the crappy **** that they are reading, really is crappy ****.

If you consider that the most genious writers of all time have not at all been appriciated before after their death, it becomes obvious that if we reverse this fact, writers that are popular during their lifetime, may not be great writers at all. This is the case for Stephenie Meyer.
    Wise Words. Only a few writers have been popular during their lifetimes. Meyers is just wasting time. She has potential. So, she should write better stuff. In the opening of her book Host she said that her mother has said that the best stories or thing of life (sth like that) was love. Host started better but I heard it's the same Twilighty thing only with UFOs Or in this USBs (Unidentified Switching bodies) the concept was great! She made it stink I guess.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546