Thread: An English Classic novel by Reade...

Blog Entries

Talking An English Classic novel by Reade...

The Cloister and the Hearth is one of Reade's famous novel. This celebrated novel has been ranked as an English classic almost since its publication. It is set in the 15th century and the author instills in it the flavor of medieval writing without making it unpalatable to the modern readers. The story mailnly is about Gerard's undertakings regarding his plans in his life. He has a great talent for penmanship and illuminating manuscripts he learned from the monks. Their family was poverty stricken and was barely supported by Elias their father. The story focuses on how he was able to survive despite of their condition.....(so on...)

Guys!!! Whoever have read this novel can you please give me some other things I should know about this.

Blog Entries
    Way back in 1966-67 10th grade English I had asked my English Teacher a stupid question which I no longer remember but he told me in reply to read The Cloister and the Hearth. Which I attempted and almost succeeded. I got about 75 percent done but the SADNESS of the book finally did me in. It's a love story that would make a good six hour mini-series (or 10 with padding) but I fnally releaized I was NOT going to get a happy ending out of it--snuck a look at the ending and quit. Never had the nerve to tell the teacher I didn't finish but have often thought of trying again.

I am so glad to know someome is still reading this book! I read it way back when and have never come across anyone else who has read it - I loved it. Do persevere with it, eyemaker, get into the flow of the language. I can't remember it being particularly mediaeval in style - are you thinking the leisurely Victorian style of writing is an attempt at a representation of the writing of the earlier era? Two incidents are so well written that they have remained in my memory for getting on for fifty years - the encounter with the bear in the Forest on Gerard's journey to Rome and the meeting between Margaret and Gerard's parents when she goes to tell them about the baby - she dresses in blue linen so as to appear neither too wealthy nor too needy, and the whole scene is a very frank handling of a subject which was taboo in its day. (Margaret is an early role model of the young woman forced to be independent and self-sufficient in an era when women were treated as fragile beings in need of large quantities of cotton wool.) Oh, and Gerard learning to mix tempera using eggs. And who does the baby grow up to be? Keep reading to find out! Enjoy it - it's a rollicking good read - don't treat it or any book as a labour or nothing will be enjoyable!