Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

What is Your Favorite Holiday Movie?

Please list your favorite Christmas, winter holiday movie(s).
    And yes, feel free to include animated TV specials.

I have two faves, both of which I've seen only on TV, not in
    their original runs in theatres. (I'm old, but not THAT old!)

Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" is the perennial crowd pleaser, oft deemed a "cultural icon." But I prefer Capra's
    OTHER Christmas movie, Meet John Doe. That film seems unfettered by the kind of sentimentality oft called
    "Capra corn, " and features scenes that crackle with mordant, satirical humor. It's not afraid to explore the themes of crowd mentality and fickleness as well as the courage involved in making a moral choice. If nothing else, the acting from the other cast, especially that of the two leads played by Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper, would make this movie a classic.

My other favorite is from Preston Sturges: Miracle of Morgan's Creek. If you want Yuletide sentimentality, look elsewhere, but if you want laugh aloud comedy which inexplicably escaped the censors, this is the holiday movie to see!

For me, it's a toss up between A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the 1966 version, not the one with Jim Carrey). I guess it's probably mostly because of nostalgia.
    Optima dies ... prima fugit

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One I always used to watch as a kid was National Lampoon's Christmas with Chevy Chase. I've watched it once already this year even though the family isn't around.

I love A Christmas Carol....any particular version...only when I was little I used to get scared of the Ghost of Christmas yet to come.

And I have to love all those family specials on the television.....they never end during the holiday!!
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like it's a wonderful life. It's just fun.
    I'm curious about that Meet John Doe movie Auntshecky mentioned. I've never heard of it before, but now I'm going to try to find it.
    Calvin: You canít just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

Blog Entries
    I love It's A Wonderful Life. It really is my favorite. I love it even outside of the holidays. I've never heard of Meet John Doe. I will have to look for it. Thanks Aunty.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." Ė St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Weisinheimer View Post
    I like it's a wonderful life. It's just fun.
    I'm curious about that Meet John Doe movie Auntshecky mentioned. I've never heard of it before, but now I'm going to try to find it.
    "Meet John Doe" is a great Gary Cooper film. One of my all-time favorites of Cooper's.

My favorite holiday film is definitely "A Christmas Story". It reminds me so much of my life growing up. True. It is a story about a boy growing up in 1940's Indiana and I was a girl who grew up in 1980's Wisconsin. Yet, the general "feeling" of the story, the family, childhood and Christmas itself reminds me of my childhood. I am a sucker for the original "Miracle on 34th Street", though. That is mainly because of my "crush" on John Payne. He's the man who plays the lawyer in the film.

As for the Christmas specials, I enjoy them all. My top ones are probably "Rudolph", "Charlie Brown" and "Mickey's Christmas Carol". That version of "A Christmas Carol" is actually my favorite one.

I also enjoy the Christmas episode of "The Flintstones" immensely.
    Last edited by LadyWentworth; 12-12-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    White Christmas with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. I started to write why until I relaized Christmas had little to do with why I like it and a whole lot more with Rosemary Clooney in a cocktail dress. We continue to dwell in Peter Pan I won't grow up land after all these years.

I remember there was a 2 episode movie length Series called "A Christmas Murder"
    It had some really dark characters i loved it, it was sort of a black comedy. The nudist 90 year old man was the best.
    It was a New Zealand show so i doubt you guys will find it anywhere

Blog Entries
    I knew someone would post "A Christmas Story!" It is a delightful movie, really Darren McGavin's tour de force, BUT please folks, please let it inspire you to go and read the original works by Jean Shepherd. (The movie is based on several of his works.) Jean was in my most humble opinion an American humorist of the first rank.

I'm glad someone chose the original Miracle on 34th St also, although the relatively recent one with Richard Attenborough isn't bad at all. Don't know about the '73 made for TV version starring David Hartman.

Also folks, forgot to ask: which of the numerous versions of A Christmas Carol do you prefer?
    -the early one w. Reginald Owen?
    -the one titled "Scrooge" with Alastair Sims?
    - the one produced by and starring George C. Scott OR
    the many, many parodies featuring Bill Murray or Mr. Magoo or Mickey Mouse or the Muppets? That last one is
    great, featuring a live action Scrooge played by the ubiquitous Michael Caine.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post
    I knew someone would post "A Christmas Story!" It is a delightful movie, really Darren McGavin's tour de force, BUT please folks, please let it inspire you to go and read the original works by Jean Shepherd. (The movie is based on several of his works.) Jean was in my most humble opinion an American humorist of the first rank.

I'm glad someone chose the original Miracle on 34th St also, although the relatively recent one with Richard Attenborough isn't bad at all. Don't know about the '73 made for TV version starring David Hartman.

Also folks, forgot to ask: which of the numerous versions of A Christmas Carol do you prefer?
    -the early one w. Reginald Owen?
    -the one titled "Scrooge" with Alastair Sims?
    - the one produced by and starring George C. Scott OR
    the many, many parodies featuring Bill Murray or Mr. Magoo or Mickey Mouse or the Muppets? That last one is
    great, featuring a live action Scrooge played by the ubiquitous Michael Caine.
    Darren McGavin is the best part of the whole film! Such a great performance! I have read Shephard's works. I personally think he is one of the best humorists there ever was. The film only gives credit to one of his stories. I believe it is "In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash". Love him!

I never saw the "Miracle on 34th Street" from the 1970's. Actually, I noticed that it happened to be on TV last night. I ended up watching something about the holiday season being celebrated in Disney World on the Travel Channel instead, though.

I mentioned above that I preferred the Mickey Mouse version of "A Christmas Carol". I have always really enjoyed that one the best. I haven't seen the one with Mr. Magoo in YEARS!!

I have probably seen every version of "A Christmas Carol". I do admit to liking the one with the The Muppets, too. But if we are going to talk about "serious" versions, I almost think that I like the early one with Reginald Owen best (though I am not a big Gene Lockhart fan ). It seems that the one with Alistair Sims is the more popular of the two, though. I still prefer the first one that I mentioned.

By the way, I forgot to mention three other holiday films that I have always enjoyed. The one is "The Shop Around the Corner" (what "Sleepless in Seattle" is based on - that could hardly compare to the original James Stewart film). The other is "The Bishop's Wife". Great film with Cary Grant, David Niven and Loretta Young. That was remade as "The Preacher's Wife" with Denzel Washington and Whitney Houston. NO!!! Denzel could never take the place of Cary! Finally, there is "Christmas in Connecticut". A pretty good film with Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan (love this man He is someone who's films I will always stop to watch).

I guess "Meet Me in St. Louis" is kind of considered a holiday film, too. I like that one alot, also. But if I am to be honest, I think the ONLY reason it is considered a hoilday film is because that is where the song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" comes from!

Blog Entries
    you can garuntee that every year in my house Gone With the Wind in on TV.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    I for one am enjoying these wonderfully warm responses!
    Re: White Christmas is a charming, lushly photographed in Technicolor, notable for the appearance of the great but under-rated Rosemary Clooney.
    Actually, that particular movie (1954) was not the one that
    introduced Irving Berlin's iconic tune of the same title. That would be Holiday Inn (1942) which also stars
    Bing Crosby as well as Fred Astaire! This movie features a separate song for nearly all the holidays of the year, but modern sensibilities have just cause to find offense in the number devoted to Lincoln's birthday!
    And as far as dreaming of a white Christmas, here in the
    Northeast, we have to be careful of what we wish for!
    Big snowstorm today and another one predicted for
    the weekend.

"The nightmare before Christmas"- Tim Burton
    Through the darkness of future past
    the magician longs to see
    one chance out between two worlds
    'Fire walk with me.'

Twin Peaks

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Muppets' Christmas Carol light the lamp not the rat! guaranteed to put you in the Christmas mood. I know all the songs...all of them
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by manolia View Post
    "The nightmare before Christmas"- Tim Burton
    I can't believe that I forgot that one!!! I think alot people don't realize that it actually is a Christmas film!

As for "White Christmas", I liked it enough. I am not a huge Danny Kaye fan, though. Still, I know about the controversy over that song in "Holiday Inn" (I don't get too offended by anything, though). I always much preferred "Holiday Inn" over "White Christmas". The one has Fred Astaire (that is always a plus!). Then again, the other has the song "Sisters". I love that song. My heart goes to "Holiday Inn", though. Other than Astaire, it has another plus with the song "Happy Holiday".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast