View Poll Results: "Fathers and Sons" by Turgenyev: Final Verdict

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

5 33.33%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

10 66.67%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas Reading: "Fathers and Sons" by Turgenev

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Christmas Reading: "Fathers and Sons" by Turgenev

We will be reading Fathers and Sons by Ivan S. Turgenev.

Please post your comments and questions here.

Online Text

Synopsis:
    Turgenev's masterpiece about the conflict between generations is as fresh, outspoken, and exciting today as it was in when it was first published in 1862. The controversial portrait of Bazarov, the energetic, cynical, and self-assured 'nihilist' who repudiates the romanticism of his elders, shook Russian society. Indeed the image of humanity liberated by science from age-old conformities and prejudices is one that can threaten establishments of any political or religious persuasion, and is especially potent in the modern era. This new translation, specially commissioned for the World's Classics, is the first to draw on Turgenev's working manuscript, which only came to light in 1988.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fathers-Sons...7371465&sr=8-1

Book Club Regulations
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Very good that it could be read online! I was trying to find the book in the Swedish online stores,
    but couldn't find it. So either that or borrow the book from the library. I'll try to get through this one.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    finshed 8 chapters...and Im really enjoying this, great comeback read!
    I need to find out abit of context , so russian history when Ive time.
    Lots of it are rather timless observations of the generation gap, though arent they I can see ( actualy I have seen and heard my family having conversations simmilar to the one where Arkady explains to his father and uncle what a Nihlist is,)
    also this
    The servant, in whom everything--the turquoise ring in his ear, the hair plastered down with grease and the polite flexibility of his movements--indicated a man of the new improved generation
    Cant you just see a 'punk' , well my copies translation is slightly different it says "dyed pomaded hair"... still fitting though.

My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    finshed 8 chapters...and Im really enjoying this, great comeback read!
    I need to find out abit of context , so russian history when Ive time.
    Lots of it are rather timless observations of the generation gap, though arent they I can see ( actualy I have seen and heard my family having conversations simmilar to the one where Arkady explains to his father and uncle what a Nihlist is,)
    also this

Cant you just see a 'punk' , well my copies translation is slightly different it says "dyed pomaded hair"... still fitting though.

My copy says "pomaded hair of various shades".

Interesting.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I will start reading tonight. One final left yet so then I'll be able to finish it in a hurry.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

I'll start reading once I finish Tolstoy's "Hadji Murad."
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Blog Entries
    I'll start reading when I finish Emma. I'll do it as soon as I can.
    I got the book from a library nearby.

Blog Entries
    I have read up to about Chapter 6 and am enjoying it very much. So far, I find some of the passages quite amusing and I like Arkady and his father; I am still not sure what to make of Bazarov; also of the old uncle who seems to be somewhat of a 'dandy'. I feel there will definitely be some real clash between those two somewhere in the novel. I thought it interesting to note that Arkady' father has kept a mistress and is shy or ashamed of the fact with his son. I like the way the author doesn't directly come out with this information but suggests, she is his mistress from time to time. I can see this happening to some degree, even today. The son just found out about the child, and this is especially interesting to see the son's now 'open-minded attitude' towards the whole situation; unlike his father, who is rooted in the traditions and conventions of the past. I hope I did not give away too much of the story, but it as I saidm I am only up to Chapter 6. These short Chapters fly right by quickly, so that part is not too far into the book. I accomplished this last chapter, in the waiting room at my doctor's, today. The reading is easy and enjoyable.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Should we be focusing on the family aspect of the book (like Nikolai and his son's relationship) or are we just taking the book as a whole? Very interesing ideas on the generations and the newer ones being nihilists....sorry my brain is everywhere today.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Should we be focusing on the family aspect of the book (like Nikolai and his son's relationship) or are we just taking the book as a whole? Very interesing ideas on the generations and the newer ones being nihilists....sorry my brain is everywhere today.
    I think we should discuss the book as a whole. And they were self-proclaimed nihilists, to be precise.

I read most of the introduction to my version today.
    com-pas-sion (n.) [ME. & OFr. <LL. (Ec.) compassio, sympathy < compassus, pp. of compati, to feel pity < L. com-, together + pali, to suffer] sorrow for the sufferings or trouble of another or others, accompanied by an urge to help; deep sympathy; pity

Dostoevsky Forum!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Finally picked up the book from the library; will start reading it tomorrow.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Grace, I don't entirely agree with Dori (sorry Dori) on this one. I think we should discuss the story both, as we go along, and as a 'whole', after we complete our reading of the book. I also think there are many aspects to consider for discussion; and I feel the father and son relationship would be one of those and the changing attitudes or the generation gap ties in with this. The young men may very well be self-proclaimed nihilists, but I have not ventured that far into the book to determine that precisely. I think it would be advantageous to put some first impressions out there in discussion and then see how these alter or change or develop as the story progresses.

I think that we all have our own style of discussing and with our experiences with our short story group, we have accomplished more by taking the parts of the story and discussing them firstly, along with any symbolism or themes; and then at the end, seeing a total picture of the entire story and what it set out to convey or accomplish. We can also take into account the ideas the author truly was trying to set forth. If we just discuss the 'overall', what point is there in having a monthly discussion at all? We need to work up to the complete picture and most important or 'main' themes. Discussing the book from beginning, is like an adventure of discoverly to encounter the various elements in the book, which help to develop our impression of the characters and settings or help to advance the plot of the novel. It is good to point out specific passages (in quotes) in which this author reveals certain aspects and elements of the book that are vital, for our discussion in this thread. This way each person discussing can throw in his individual ideas concerning that passage or passages in the story. In this way we can see how the author developed his novel and conveyed his story to us.

Grace and Dori, I hope all of this makes sense to you.

Scher - you will find the book flows along quite quickly. I hope you do enjoy it. I like your new avatar for Christmas - that snow looks so serene and relaxing....cute...my son always loved Snoopy!
    Last edited by Janine; 12-14-2007 at 02:58 PM.

I wish I had read this book when I was younger to compare it with this reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I wish I had read this book when I was younger to compare it with this reading
    Yes, but first time reading, you get the element of surprise in the story!

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Yes, but first time reading, you get the element of surprise in the story!
    I'm just wondering if I would have read it when I was in my early twenties/teens would I identify with Bazarov and Arcady moreso then the father/uncle.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast