Thread: Madame Bovary

Madame Bovary

It seems a little odd that one of the most influential novels in history is nowhere represented here, or that the posters on this forum don't seem to like it. Funny how present tastes are so dominant.

I loved "Madame Bovary"!

I just started reading it,it seems pretty good to me.

Title user custom
    It's a well-written novel which is quite easy to discuss and cite, maybe people don't talk about it because there is no controversy in the simple concept of being "good".
    My blog about literature (in spanish): http://otrasbentilaciones.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowni View Post
    It's a well-written novel which is quite easy to discuss and cite, maybe people don't talk about it because there is no controversy in the simple concept of being "good".
    But, in contrast to Emma, who is good (without quotation marks)? at least, in this novel?

Title user custom
    I suppose it depends in which is our concept of "good", certainly many characters would qualify as naive, or at the very least uneducated -not to say stupid, but we can say it anyways because the character is stupid-. I'd had to wonder if this good presuposes a reading that looks towards morality.
    My blog about literature (in spanish): http://otrasbentilaciones.wordpress.com/