Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Remedies

Hydrogen peroxide?!!! I think that's a bleaching agent....you could bleach your hair I guess. I can only imagine what it would do to your ears

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    sounds cool. what is it good for/against?

does anyone know a home remedy for ear wax? I hate ear wax. I could clean my ears 5 times a day. I know you're not supposed to clean them too much, but I hate it when they itch...
    in Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (or was it another of his books?), the mother pours some chemical down the boys ears to clean them.. hydrogen peroxide or something? ever tried that? is it dangerous?
    if you dip a cotton swab in peroxide and clean your ears out, your ear feels cleaner. I've done it, my mom swears by it and told us to do it when we had an earache, and so far no damage (that I'm aware of). Pouring peroxide in sounds a little scary though,

But, if you moisten the Q-Tip with anything really, it picks up more wax. I hate dirty ear canals also.

EDIT Also, I've read several reports about ear candles and they say it doesn't really remove any wax and that you could injure your ear if you happen to get ear wax in your ear canal - according to one report, the wax could adhere to your ear drum and that can be painful and require surgery and you risk damage to your hearing. I am not going to try the ear candles just to be safe
    Last edited by Shalot; 12-04-2007 at 11:43 AM.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Any home rememdies for sinus congestion?? I did a search and found one but it didn't work.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A steam bath is good for sinus congestion. You need to part fill a large bowl with hot water (hot, not boiling), get yourself a thick towel which is big enough to cover your head. Put your face over the bowl and the towel over your head so that the towel is covering the bowl and your head (keeping the steam in) and breathe. 5-10 minutes is a good amount of time.

If you add Vicks vapour rub or eucalyptus oil or menthol crystals it works even better.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I think my sinuses are getting worse too. I am worried that I will end up having to use antibiotics again (last time I had to take them for 6 weeks).

:-/
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I am currently trying "tomato tea":

tomato juice or V8
    crushed garlic
    hot sauce
    lemon juice

heated.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I am currently trying "tomato tea":

tomato juice or V8
    crushed garlic
    hot sauce
    lemon juice

heated.
    Throw in some vodka and you'd have Bloody Mary!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And with a little vodka in you all those health problems just melt away, don't they? actually, while I love "natural" remedies, lately I've been taking zyrtec for my sinuses, a ahlf of one each day. It's worked very well.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I heard that too except with Blackberry Brandy.

Yeah Kinda. I never noticed any damage.

Anybody ever tried/used/heard of Neti Pots?
    Yes i use a Neti Pot. I use to suffer three or four really bad sinus infections each year. Since using the pot I am down to one a year. They can take some getting use to and please make sure to use only warm water not hot!
    I am back............................

Blog Entries
    I love home remedies.

Plugged ears - lay on your side (the side that isn't plugged) and pour warm olive oil in the plugged ear. Lay there for ten minutes or so, then empty your ear out over the sink.

Sore throat - in lab tests honey was shown to work as well as most over-the-counter cough medicines (I had to know this, since I'm allergic to pine oil which is in most cough medicines).

Tincture for sore muscles and bruises - chop some arnica flowers into little pieces, then put it in a jar full of 40 proof vodka (the kind of jar that you put pickled beets into). Shake it, then leave it in a cupboard for a few months. Strain out the flowers, and there's your tincture. You smear it on the sore part and don't drink it or you'll get sick.

Arnica grows in most woods. It looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    A steam bath is good for sinus congestion. You need to part fill a large bowl with hot water (hot, not boiling), get yourself a thick towel which is big enough to cover your head. Put your face over the bowl and the towel over your head so that the towel is covering the bowl and your head (keeping the steam in) and breathe. 5-10 minutes is a good amount of time.

If you add Vicks vapour rub or eucalyptus oil or menthol crystals it works even better.
    That works really well, my doctor told me to do that when I got bronchitis.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Perhaps you could make it and sell it to us?

How much of those ingedients do you put into the juice, Papayahead?
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    Perhaps you could make it and sell it to us?

How much of those ingedients do you put into the juice, Papayahead?
    Here's the actual recipe:

TOMATO TEA RECIPE
    2 cups V8 Juice
    2-3 cloves Garlic crushed (use more if you can)
    2 T Lemon Juice
    Hot Sauce (the more the better, so as much as you can handle)

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/tomato_tea.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I'm gonna try it next week.

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    I've had it both ways, but to tell you the truth, JD to most Tennesseans is "proper" whiskey

http://www.jackdaniels.com/age.aspx

Don't be dissing the Jack Daniels...Its great for break ups, job losses, failed test, bad days, bored days, colds, coughs, fevers, sleeplessness... it can cure anything, the amount to cure ranges from a shot, to the whole bottle sometimes but it is deffinitly PROPER whiskey in Texas

We use ear candles, with the boiled water and towel cure for headaches and sinuses add euctaliptis oil, also take real peppermint oil and put two drops in a warm bath, no more than this with pure oil cause it will burn you. great for headaches.

for a good cold the best bet is the sprite, but i disagree with the popcicles, and have to suggest sherbert... orange sherrbert. mmm

Also I dnt kow what you have heard about soy massage candles but I make them and they are good for everything, headache, light them and its gone. tummy ache light them take a small amount of the oil and rub it in and its gone. girl time problems, rub it into the side that hurts and they dissapear(this got me off 100mg of tramadol) and good for a massage too. I'll have to write down the recipe next time I make some, they are real easy to make, just dont buy them offline they are super super high.

epson salt is a good magnesium boost, added in your water and you get relaxation from your normal tense muscles, add in drinking water to get a natrual laxative.

I'll grab the family book and come back with more.

remedy for being underage and out of liquor...simple cough in front of southren parents :P that one was just for fun :P

any for sunburn?

besides vinger...<- super allergic

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Tomato Tea - I'm pretty sure it helped but after two cups my stomach was getting a little testy and I smelled like garlic most of the day.

Hot Toddy (Whiskey, tea, lemon, honey) - The first night it worked pretty good, last night I don't think it helped at all.

Sudafed for sinus congestion - Zero help

Steam Room for about 15 minutes - helped slightly

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast