Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Remedies

Home Remedies

I thought we had a post like this but I did a search and couldn't find it so here goes.

I feel a cold coming on, enlarges lymph glands, warm itchy throat. Whenever I start feeling this way I double up on vitamin C and Zinc and do a shot of Nyquil at night and that seems to knock out the cold.

My best friends husband was telling us that when he was little and had ear aches his mom would roll up newspaper in a funnel stick it in his ear and light the other end on fire.

Another friend was saying when he was little and had a fever his grandma made him strip down to his underoos and put chilli peppers all over him.

Anybody else have home remedies that work or are just amusing??
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    For an ear infection, blow smoke (cigarette or other) into the ear.

For toenail fungus, slather nails and feet with vick's vapo rub and then put on socks

for a cold, put some jack daniels, lemon juice, honey, and hot water in a coffee cup, drink it down and get some rest

for a stomach virus, crunch on ice chips and starlight mints and eat popsicles and sprite to settle your stomach.

(out of 4, I think 3 of those are actually helpful. my grandmother swears by vicks vapo rub, the JD hot totty won't cure a cold, but you will get some rest, and if you are unlucky and have a stomach virus, the popsicles and sprite are necessary)
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    My best friends husband was telling us that when he was little and had ear aches his mom would roll up newspaper in a funnel stick it in his ear and light the other end on fire.
    What???? And his head did get lit up? That is nuts.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    for a cold, put some jack daniels, lemon juice, honey, and hot water in a coffee cup, drink it down and get some rest
    I heard that too except with Blackberry Brandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    What???? And his head did get lit up? That is nuts.
    Yeah Kinda. I never noticed any damage.

Anybody ever tried/used/heard of Neti Pots?
    Last edited by papayahed; 12-02-2007 at 11:21 PM.

I've heard of Neti pots, but never used one. I don't know if it's helpful, but a magazine I read did a sort of review of them a few years ago; apparently, they work. Using one isn't uncomfortable, but you do get to see all the sinus-stuff that gets cleared out...so, I guess that part could be gross or fascinating depending on who you are.

To add to the "home remedies", my mother swears that tying a knee-sock around your neck will make a sore throat go away; I have tried this, but I can't really vouch for its usefulness.

Blog Entries
    Oh......wow......if I onyl remembered them all my great grandma used to give me all sorts of weird Ukrainian remedies until she died when I was about 5 or 6 so I don't really remember them or may have some confused.

I remember having to put sliced potatoes on my chest....don't recall what this was for, or if it worked I'm assuming it had something to do with a cold or cough.
    Mmmm, I remember having to eat "garlic toast" which didn't mean minced garlic or anything, actual sliced cloves of garlic it was bruuuutal for coughs.
    Hmm, don't remember too many others, but I guarantee there were more.

Since about 14 I was able to adopt the much preffered Scottish remedies from my grandmother which mostly include drinking whiskey mixed with hot milk and honey for flu, cold or damn near anything .
    "Americans should know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls."
    -Walt Whitman
    They have their worries, they’re counting the miles, they’re thinking about where to sleep tonight, how much money for gas, the weather, how they’ll get there—and all the time they’ll get there anyway, you see.
    -Jack Kerouac

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm miserably sick with the flu today and even burning newspaper in my ear is starting to sound like a perfectly reasonable idea if it will bring some relief. Amazing how desperation breeds creativity. Won't go for the smoke in the ear, but I may go check the cupboard for what sort of liquor got left over from the last party and try some variation of that hot toddy recipe.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    Thats called a Hot Whiskey to the Irish. But you are using a burbon whiskey. You have to use a whiskey like and Irish or a Scotch, and put cloves in the lemon. It does help sooth a cold and helps you have a peaceful night.

As for the brandy, you use that for upset tummies and kidney infections.

Oh and the newspaper thing sounds like a form of candling, which is very popular in chinese medicine. It burns out the earwax in you ears
    Last edited by Niamh; 12-03-2007 at 07:41 AM.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Thats called a Hot Whiskey to the Irish. But you are using a burbon whiskey. You have to use a proper whiskey like and Irish or a Scotch, and put cloves in the lemon. It does help sooth a cold and helps you have a peaceful night.

Oh and the newspaper thing sounds like a form of candling, which is very popular in chinese medicine. It burns out the earwax in you ears
    I've had it both ways, but to tell you the truth, JD to most Tennesseans is "proper" whiskey

http://www.jackdaniels.com/age.aspx
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    Okay dokey.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Blog Entries
    Okay dokey.
    aw, so no go on the JD for Niamh. I guess I can let that slide since she is Irish after all.

Quote Originally Posted by FacialFracture View Post
    I've heard of Neti pots, but never used one. I don't know if it's helpful, but a magazine I read did a sort of review of them a few years ago; apparently, they work. Using one isn't uncomfortable, but you do get to see all the sinus-stuff that gets cleared out...so, I guess that part could be gross or fascinating depending on who you are.
    A few people on another forum swear by them but I haven't tried it yet.

For tummy aches we always got ginger ale (Vernors of course - accept no substitute).

We were in a health food store and passed the ear candles which prompted the discussion.

Blog Entries
    aw, so no go on the JD for Niamh. I guess I can let that slide since she is Irish after all.
    Well even at that, there is only one Irish whiskey worth using for a hot whiskey and that is Jameson. But the irish swear by hot whiskeys. Its really surprising to see someone who doesnt think they work. If thats the case just have a few glasses straight.
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    Try foll

one part marjorum
    3 parts honey
    one and a half part black pepper

mix all. take one teaspoon thrice a day with a little water for one month.
    ===============-
    When asked how World War III would be fought, Einstein replied that he didn't know. But he knew how World War IV would be fought: With sticks and stones.
    -(:===============

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mazHur View Post
    Try foll

one part marjorum
    3 parts honey
    one and a half part black pepper

mix all. take one teaspoon thrice a day with a little water for one month.
    sounds cool. what is it good for/against?

does anyone know a home remedy for ear wax? I hate ear wax. I could clean my ears 5 times a day. I know you're not supposed to clean them too much, but I hate it when they itch...
    in Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth (or was it another of his books?), the mother pours some chemical down the boys ears to clean them.. hydrogen peroxide or something? ever tried that? is it dangerous?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast