Thread: Room 101

Room 101

Whats going on in this room what exactly is it all about. I mean its got to be horrible the guy tries to forfeit his own kids and wife not to go into it. What exactly is it all about does anyone know exactly. Why is the man so scared to be in there. Please reply hopefully ill figure out tonight when im reading

Blog Entries
    room 101 is where people are faced with their worse fears. The thing most horrific to you is what you would find in there and it would be presented in the worst possible way. It is a means to break a person through absolute fear and terror.

King of Contradiction
    "Everyone knows what's in room 101." This is a line spoken to Winston by O'Brien, and it directly forshadows the end of the book. Do you remember Winston's nightmare? he thinks of a wall of darkness, behind which is something unendurable. This is a spoiler, so do not scroll down if you don't want to know.

Room 101 is the room in which you are subjected to your worst fear.

Fair is foul, and foul is fair.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    It's all explained, don't ruin the suspense by finding out from us.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Blog Entries
    maybe I shouldn't have answered.

Cool Room 101

This is a nasty room.To torture people to get them to tell the truth or to fess up to what they have done. They attack your fear. Who were the people that came up with some of these sick torture ideas. For winstons fear, here come the rats! So much for a good friend of O'brian, he is the one torturing winston. O'brian set him up.

Have you ever read the original story of The Little Mermaid or The Hunchback of Notre Dame?

They are both incredibly cruel works, yet have been sanitised for modern viewers by Disney. Books aren't always meant to be cheerful or have a happy ending.

1984 is deliberately cruel and inhumane, but it needs to be to emphasise the type of cruelty possible in a totalitarian regime.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

I do have to agree with you here that Room 101 is a terrible invention created by Orwell. Then again, it does add more interest to the book as a whole, and it surprises the reader that O'Brien actually carries out this torture to Winston, as Orwell gives us false impressions that they are on some level friends.

I think a revolution against O'Brien is due

Lightbulb Julia Room 101

I was thinking about this for a while. Winston's fear is of rats, so in room 101 that is what he had to deal with. The question I propose to all of you is what would be in Room 101 with Julia? ¯\(o.O)/¯

Julia throughout the book did not really seem to portrait any great kind of fear for us to read about. What does she fear though? What would have been in Room 101 with her if that is where she had gone? I'd appreciate any replies.

Thanks

-Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
    -What truth?
    -There is no spoon.
    -There is no spoon?
    -Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

~The Matrix~

Blog Entries
    julia would meet society's pointing fingers and supposed "embarrasment"...
    she's always been insecure about that..

I think Julia's fears are given away by Orwell when she expresses her repugnance towards sex with Inner Party members and that her Room 101 was possibly multiple rape.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    oh, your prediction seems oddly more fitting!! I agree, definitely

Room 101

In school, we were discussing the book, and the question of why it took the government so long to catch Winston, and bring him in. We also talked about Room 101, and how it is your greatest fear.

Although its hard to tell a sense of time in the book, since Orwell hardly gives any indication, I believe that the reason Winston was not caught before was because the government did not know what his Room 101 would be.

I know how they find out, because if they have suspicion, then they will watch you on the telescreens. And its not such a coincidence that they caught him AFTER the rat incident.

And maybe it took longer after that, maybe that had to find out what Julia's Room 101 would be?

Any thoughts on this?
    I understand how, but I do not understand why

Now that this is all merged, I think all the answers are right here.

Anon