Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do 'Protestants' worship on Sunday?

Why do 'Protestants' worship on Sunday?

Nowhere within the New Testament do you find mention of the Sabbath being changed from Saturday to Sunday

Not even the Catholic Church would try to reason from the scriptures as to why they keep Sunday holy instead of Saturday. In fact if they were to do so they would contradict their own Catechism which states that the change from Saturday to Sunday is their mark of authority.

"We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemity from Saturday to Sunday."
    Peter Geiermann, The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1946 ed.), p.50

So why then do 'Protestants' keep sunday, if they are truly Protestant

Blog Entries
    I don't know what difference it makes.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

Quote Originally Posted by Granny5 View Post
    I don't know what difference it makes.
    I'm with you granny, if indeed god is universal. Sunday is only Sunday on earth. Other planets have competely different periods of revolutons--a day could be 9 hours while a month could be 1000 earth days. If it exists, I doubt it cares what cycle earthlings decide to worship it on. Then again, I could be wrong.

Blog Entries
    I think Sunday was chosen as the new sabbath day because Christ rose from the dead on the third day, which was Sunday. Any Christian should know that.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I think Sunday was chosen as the new sabbath day because Christ rose from the dead on the third day, which was Sunday. Any Christian should know that.
    Exactly. And also I hope you know that Saturday in Jewish calendar is Sunday in western Gregorian calendar.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Blog Entries
    Though Sunday is the traditional time, Protestants worship any day of the week.
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

"If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

Blog Entries
    I've never been good at test. I still don't think it makes a hill of beans worth of difference. We could decide to hold church services Tuesday afternoon and it would be the same. Christ practiced miracles on the Sabbath, he didn't keep ti holy in the traditional sense it had been kept. It's what is in ones heart that makes a difference.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

Blog Entries
    Bang on Virg!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    I've never been good at test. I still don't think it makes a hill of beans worth of difference. We could decide to hold church services Tuesday afternoon and it would be the same. Christ practiced miracles on the Sabbath, he didn't keep ti holy in the traditional sense it had been kept. It's what is in ones heart that makes a difference.
    I don't think it matters either, but one of the ten commandments is to keep the sabbath and I guess we need to pick a day.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Exactly. And also I hope you know that Saturday in Jewish calendar is Sunday in western Gregorian calendar.
    So, did the universe start on a Saturday? Anyone? Am I the only on that is striken by the absurdity of this thread? Sheesh, hehe.
    “The air was soft, the stars so fine, the promise of every cobbled alley so great that I thought I was in a dream.” -Jack Kerouac

Regular Guy
    In Acts 2:46, the Christians were meeting together every day. Granted, this was the time of Pentecost, when people already had some days off, but they treated every day as a day of worship, rather than just one day.
    Likewise, when Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman (in John 4), he told her that it doesn't matter where you worship, that the thing that matters is worshiping in spirit and in truth.

Acts 20:7 is an example of an instance when the apostles gathered together on a first day. John 20:19 and 1 Cor. 16:2 allude to the same thing. This makes me think that meeting on the first day of the week isn't bad.

In Mark 2, Jesus declares that the Sabbath was made for men, not men for the Sabbath. Therefore, we shouldn't let a certain day of the week stop us from doing something we need or from something we should do. To me, that sounds like Jesus just wants us to take it easy every now and then.

Also, worship of God is done by loving and obeying his commands, which can be done at any time.

Blog Entries
    Time back in those days could have been counted differently than today...obviously(I'm thinking as I type...so that was directed towards me ) Anyways, so I guess the universe could have been created on a saturday...beats me. And I agree, it doesn't even really matter which day any religion practices their worship...or whatever.

I know that at my Church, there is pretty much mass almost everyday...not completely the same as it is on Sundays...I'm Catholic by the way...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    So, did the universe start on a Saturday? Anyone? Am I the only on that is striken by the absurdity of this thread? Sheesh, hehe.
    If you find other people's religions absurd, why do you insist on poking at it? No one is asking you to convert. Or are you just trying to start trouble?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    We could decide to hold church services Tuesday afternoon and it would be the same. Christ practiced miracles on the Sabbath, he didn't keep ti holy in the traditional sense it had been kept. It's what is in ones heart that makes a difference.
    I suppose we could do what ever we wanted and it would be all the same to us, but not all the same as the Bible, and since that is where christians get the information about when and how to worship it's probably a good idea to go with that. Christ preforming miracles on the Sabbath was not in violation of God's law- but of mans. He asked if it was wrong to do good on the Sabbith and it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by dzebra View Post
    In Acts 2:46, the Christians were meeting together every day. Granted, this was the time of Pentecost, when people already had some days off, but they treated every day as a day of worship, rather than just one day.
    Likewise, when Jesus was talking to the Samaritan woman (in John 4), he told her that it doesn't matter where you worship, that the thing that matters is worshiping in spirit and in truth.

Acts 20:7 is an example of an instance when the apostles gathered together on a first day. John 20:19 and 1 Cor. 16:2 allude to the same thing. This makes me think that meeting on the first day of the week isn't bad.

In Mark 2, Jesus declares that the Sabbath was made for men, not men for the Sabbath. Therefore, we shouldn't let a certain day of the week stop us from doing something we need or from something we should do. To me, that sounds like Jesus just wants us to take it easy every now and then.

Also, worship of God is done by loving and obeying his commands, which can be done at any time.
    this is actually just what I was going to say

Blog Entries
    Who said the first day was Sunday? Or Saturday? Who said the third day was Sunday? The bible never says anyways the words Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday or Saturday that I am aware of, it's all guess work. All I know is we should worship God everday regardless what you call the day and it just happens we gather once a week on certain days to worship together, but that it really makes no difference. I worship the same on Sunday as I would on Saturday or Thursday for that matter.
    "O reason, reason, abstract phantom of the waking state, I had already expelled you from my dreams, now I have reached a point where those dreams are about to become fused with apparent realities: now there is only room here for myself. "
    -Louis Aragon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast