Thread: Insence In Catholic Churches

Insence In Catholic Churches

Does anyone know exactly what kind, or kinds, of insence is burned in Catholic churches. I seem to remember it being burned around ash wednesday or palm sunday.

Blog Entries
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

"The word "thurible" comes from the Old French thurible, which in turn is derived from the Latin term "thuribulum". The Latin word thuribulum has the root "thur", meaning incense. The Latin "thur"is an alteration of the Greek word "thuos", which is derived from the term "thein", meaning to sacrifice."

That's quite a genealogy!

So by burning incense, Catholics are making a sacrifice? I wonder if incense was expensive in the early days. I went to a Catholic christmas mass several decades ago and thought the guys twirling the incense holders around on chains were the coolest thing--that and the candles. Apparently though, its not the individual, but the church making the sacrifice, because they paid for it.

incense

Yes, the incense they burn at catholic churches is actually pretty expensive. Anyone know how many times they burn it a year? Cause that has to get kinda expensive.

In grade school we went to church every friday in addition to the major holidays and I thought it happened quite often. Maybe it was just during the major holidays or Holy Days of Obligation?

I always thought that burning incense was a type of purification, the priest used to walk around the altar and congregation swinging that ball thing, but I could be mixing it up with something else.
    Last edited by papayahed; 11-19-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkerr View Post
    Yes, the incense they burn at catholic churches is actually pretty expensive. Anyone know how many times they burn it a year? Cause that has to get kinda expensive.
    Then if the incense is burned unto God for any reason, and it costs the people something they willing give, it becomes a sacrifice unto God. I am not Catholic or ever likely to be, but I see no reason why they should not burn the incense to God as they choose. Worship is worship.

God Bless

Pen
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkerr View Post
    At my church it is burned quite a bit...I am Catholic, err yeah...but I'm no expert. Not year round, but at some point they begin to burn it before the reading of the Gospel and then before Communion, actually before it is blessed it is burned and kind of directed towards the congregation. I'll have to ask my Priest this weds. I'll also ask him when it begins to be burned, because I know it is not used the entire year. I want to say at the beginning of fall and then it stops...after winter....I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Anarchy View Post
    At my church it is burned quite a bit...I am Catholic, err yeah...but I'm no expert. Not year round, but at some point they begin to burn it before the reading of the Gospel and then before Communion, actually before it is blessed it is burned and kind of directed towards the congregation. I'll have to ask my Priest this weds. I'll also ask him when it begins to be burned, because I know it is not used the entire year. I want to say at the beginning of fall and then it stops...after winter....I'll ask.
    During Advent and Lent maybe.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    During Advent and Lent maybe.
    Yeah, but it isn't Advent now, or Lent...and they are burning insence...I'll be sure to get the answer this week. I'm peeling potatoes for Homeless people thanksgiving dinner thing that my church hosts...so I'll most likely see my Priest...

In Catholics incenses are burned and in Hinduism animals are sacrificed, Ritualizing religions often lead to perils.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Incesnce can be used at any Mass-- some parishes use it ecery Sunday and Holy Day--some just during Holy Thursday, Christmas Eve/Day, and Easter.

It was originally used a--lol! okay I just saw the date on this thread...

people of all sorts, religious or not, use ritual throughout their lives...

Thumbs up

In my church, Orthodox Christian, we burn incense every service. This goes back to the early church. Long before the split between east and west. The incense is symbolic of the prayers being offered up to God. In the book of Rev. St. John sees the angels with incense crying to one another, "Holy, Holy, Holy" The liturgy or mass, is supposed to be worship. God said "I desire not sacrifice." The incense are the prayers of the Church being offered up to God. I hope I helped, I studied theology at VA Westlyan College in Norfolk VA.

When the Bible says "I desire not sacrifice." It's speaking of our sacrifice to God. He says the blood of bulls and sheep can't bring forgiveness of sin. Jesus sacrificed Himself. The Holy Communion is a sacrifice when the elements are sanctified. John6:54-56,"Whoever eats flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him." Like it or not it's in the Bible

Blog Entries
    The Insense is Myrrh and Frankincense, two of the gifts given to jesus by the wise men in bethleham
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules