Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing Book Reviews

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Writing Book Reviews

Even though Book Reviews section of the Forum is for the casual perusal of our own users and reviews posted are not necessarily expected to be of academic standards, it is both desirable and requested that the reviews included follow a general outline and be as informative as possible.

While searching the web, trying to find more information on the subject, I came across Dalhouise Library's site, which included a nice how-to guide:
    Minimum Essentials of a Book Review

1. Description, not a summary, of the book. Sufficient description should be given so that the reader, as he reads the review, will have some understanding of the author's thoughts. This account of the contents of a book can often be woven into the critical remarks.

2. Something about, not a biography of, the author. Biographical information should be relevant to the subject of the review and enhance the reader's understanding of the work under discussion.

3. An appraisal, preferably indirect, through description and exposition and based on the aims and purposes of the author. While a critical review is a statement of opinion, it must be a considered judgement including:

- a statement of the reviewer's understanding of the author's purpose
    - how well the reviewer feels the author's purpose has been achieved
    - evidence to support the reviewer's judgement of the author' achievement.
    http://www.library.dal.ca/how/bookrev.htm

As well as your scoring, you can also add the universal poll to your reviews, which consists of the options (please do not worry if you forget; one of our Moderators will do it later on) :

* A bookworm's nightmare!
    ** Take a nap instead!
    *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.
    **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!
    ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

Thanks to everyone who take the time to share their thoughts and feelings on the books they have been reading!

Happy posting, happy reviewing!
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

ok i will make a review and reply then

This sounds fun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Even though Book Reviews section of the Forum is for the casual perusal of our own users and reviews posted are not necessarily expected to be of academic standards, it is both desirable and requested that the reviews included follow a general outline and be as informative as possible.

While searching the web, trying to find more information on the subject, I came across Dalhouise Library's site, which included a nice how-to guide:http://www.library.dal.ca/how/bookrev.htm

As well as your scoring, you can also add the universal poll to your reviews, which consists of the options (please do not worry if you forget; one of our Moderators will do it later on) :

* A bookworm's nightmare!
    ** Take a nap instead!
    *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.
    **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!
    ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

Thanks to everyone who take the time to share their thoughts and feelings on the books they have been reading!

Happy posting, happy reviewing!
    Scher, good suggestion. I just checked out your thread and it looks really good and should be interesting; you did a good job laying out the outlines and format for us. I am super busy right now, and going out tonight, but I will do my best and see what I can come up with. I have read nearly all the novels by Lawrence, so I could do a great portion of his work. It would take time, but I am willing to try. I can't promise a start this week or next, but will try and write some things offline to post eventually. Thanks for the suggestion. Did you see how many threads I got myself into already? I am amazing myself. But sadly I have neglected a few and I still have to start my blog and another 'book illustration' thread I wished to begin. I will get there though - the new computer makes it faster and easier to post.

Wow, I think the new upgrade to the system is really drawing newcomers, don't you? I am glad to see it.
    Last edited by Janine; 08-13-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Many thanks for the thread

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    even though book reviews section of the forum is for the casual perusal of our own users and reviews posted are not necessarily expected to be of academic standards, it is both desirable and requested that the reviews included follow a general outline and be as informative as possible.

While searching the web, trying to find more information on the subject, i came across dalhouise library's site, which included a nice how-to guide:http://www.library.dal.ca/how/bookrev.htm

as well as your scoring, you can also add the universal poll to your reviews, which consists of the options (please do not worry if you forget; one of our moderators will do it later on) :

* a bookworm's nightmare!
    ** take a nap instead!
    *** finished but no reason to skip meals.
    **** don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!
    ***** a bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

thanks to everyone who take the time to share their thoughts and feelings on the books they have been reading!

happy posting, happy reviewing!
    felicitations

Is it okay to post a review that was already posted on Amazon? I've got a few there that I'd like for others to comment on.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane4twain View Post
    Is it okay to post a review that was already posted on Amazon? I've got a few there that I'd like for others to comment on.
    I don't see any reason not to as long as you cite the the name of the poster on Amazon, since there's no way to verify if it's really "you."

I thought the thread was intended for reviews by members of LitNet. I would check with the moderators before going ahead.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I thought the thread was intended for reviews by members of LitNet. I would check with the moderators before going ahead.
    I'm posting here. Doesn't that mean I'm a member?

I'm posting here. Doesn't that mean I'm a member?
    Of course, but you are not posting a review. If anyone wants to read reviews of non members, they need only go to Amazon and do so. The point of LitNet's review slot is that we can each read reviews by members.
    That's my reading of it anyway.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am a moderator. Emil Miller is correct.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But if he is a member, and being a member has written a review on Amazon, couldn't he also post it here?

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't see why not, MM. When I first read his post I thoght he was just going to provide a link to reviews he found on Amazon.

Can he not post the review here as well? I would prefer that to a link.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Thanks for the information. It's of great help to me!

Simple but yet informative & interesting...I'll try it very soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast