Thread: children in 1948 vs. children of 1984/present

Cool children in 1948 vs. children of 1984/present

The children of 1948 compared to children of 1984/present is totally different, the children of 1948 did not have the power or say that the children of today have. It is hard to believe that kids in 1984 would rat out there parents to the thought police. The kids also bragg about the burnings or watching hangings. This makes me wonder if orwell is exaggerating a little to much here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestler View Post
    The children of 1948 compared to children of 1984/present is totally different, the children of 1948 did not have the power or say that the children of today have. It is hard to believe that kids in 1984 would rat out there parents to the thought police. The kids also bragg about the burnings or watching hangings. This makes me wonder if orwell is exaggerating a little to much here.
    We have to remember that the children in 1984 were raised to believe that ratting out their parents or anyone else was the right thing to do. They had been raised on hangings and burnings so it was normal to them. I would think it's like teaching children in elementary school to hate the US or, when I was growing up, to hate Russia. It's pounded into them from early childhood. Children tend to follow what their teachers/parents/leaders teach them. Only when they grow up and are educated enough to read and learn about the real world do they form their own opinions. In 1984, there were no books that hadn't been altered to reflect only what BB wanted them to learn. They had no other vision of the world to work with.
    "All we are saying is give PEACE a chance." Beatles[/SIZE]
    Granny5's Blog
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=35805

Quote Originally Posted by wrestler View Post
    Well, I guess the world had yet another awful example of what children are capable of yesterday with the school massacre in Finland.

Children's appetites for horrific things can be developed quite nicely.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

It is the sad march of history that people will often surrrender to terror. Look at Christians under Rome, Salem, The French Revolution, McCarthyism. As for the children they are the most vulnerable. Which was Chaplain's point with King of New York. Robert Cormier also shows how easy it is to twist a child's mind with The Rag and Bone Shop. There was the book It Can't Happen Here which showed that it so easily could.
    Last edited by Pandora Eve; 11-08-2007 at 07:51 PM.