Thread: Do not discuss current politics here

Do not discuss current politics here

This forum does not allow discussion of current politics. Why? It leads to anger, division, and not the friendliness I want to promote.

So if you're discussing Orwell feel free to discuss politics at his time, feel free to discuss historical events like the Russian revolution. Do not discuss current politics.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Blog Entries
    Sounds good, Beside there is nothing that can come from the discussion except anger, People are impossible to budge once they have changed their minds, and it is admins sight, so respect his rules, or find a different place, like clock hill forums, or *********************

When in anothers house, follow their rules, and you won't get beet up.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Blog Entries
    Maybe people should take an oath before they are aloud to join...

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

I'm not sure how you can't discuss current politics when having any meaningful discussion of 1984. I'm sure you would agree that Mr. Orwell's intention was to warn us of what the future could look like if we don't pay attention to history and what our government is doing.

Some see 1984 as pure fiction. Those who study 1984 see remnants of the novel in societies and cultures all over the world and yes in the USA as well.

I understand that politics leads to some harsh words, but I think we can agree that there can be political debate (as it relates to 1984) on an academic level.

Stanislaw writes that, "...people are impossible to budge..." I couldn't disagree more. Intelligent, thoughtful people "budge" when they hear or read thoughtful arguments.

The novel demands that each of us take an active role in the direction of our respective countries take. Only when literature is made relevent to the here and now is it truly worthwhile.

It is impossible to talk about the politice of winstons world when you cannot compare to the politics of present. Is that not Winstons problem in the first place he does not know what his standard of living is because he has nothing to COMPARE his standard of liveing to. No trace of true history exists. This is no place to promote politics or favoritism of partys. When talking of 1984 it is next to impossible to not bring up the status of our government and the role it plays in our lives. I cannot beleive that people would even think that this forum would be better off with the absence of politics.
    AC/DC were amoung twelve bands to have their name on a secret Russian blacklist of "ideologically harmful" Western bands.

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The operative word here is "current"
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

I don't like the rule when related to Orwell's works. I think that there is plenty of relevence towards todays politics.

I fail to see a problem with intellectuals stating their current political opinions. Intellectuals should have learned to respect other peoples opinions, even if they disagree with them.
    to not be able to discuss current politics is closing the door on all us people who actually pay attention to them. You said you want to create friendliness. I agree that some political discussions can lead to anger [and believe me, I come from a school full of political nerds, of which i am one; i hear a good fair few of them]. I think if you are willing to listen, respect, and discuss in an appropriate manner, there shouldn't be restrictions concerning discussing. When you start to shove it down peoples throats, then it becomes a problem. However, it is ok to diagree.

Cheers everyone.
    8-)
    Gilthas

PS: Admin, i don't mean to offend anyone. I'm simply stating my opinion. If anyone does feel offended, i will immediately apologize, provided you tell me.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    Maybe people should take an oath before they are aloud to join...
    I was under the illusion(??what is the word Im looking for help me out here cap'n please??) that I/we did.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Just a thought, love the forum to discuss 1984, but in placing a restriction on the speaking or discussion of current politics, aren't we in effect practicing Ingsoc? I mean the whole point of 1984 was to make a point (even in his time) about how the government and the "party" makes sure no one can discuss anything that would lead to enlightenment.

Yes, discussion of politics can lead to 'ill will' but so can simply talking about the weather. I am admin on another board, where we have whole forum devoted to nothing but the current news, and frequently 1984 comes up for comparison both for the current admins, and the past admins of just 20 years ago.

But I guess as long as we are not being totally censured we can stay softly inside the boundries; after all we have a similar rule, "If you get nasty we 86 ya - if your nice we might tell you first".

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    This forum does not allow discussion of current politics. Why? It leads to anger, division, and not the friendliness I want to promote.
    I realize that poitics and religions are touchy subjects.

This forum has a HUGE place where you can talk about religion. I would like to request a space to talk about literature and politics.
    "I have so often dreamed of you that you become unreal." ~ Robert Desnos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    I was under the illusion(??what is the word Im looking for help me out here cap'n please??) that I/we did.
    'Impression' is the word I think you're looking for.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Strongly agree

"Intelligent, thoughtful people "budge" when they hear or read thoughtful arguments."........ and we are all intelligent people here!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher
    I'm not sure how you can't discuss current politics when having any meaningful discussion of 1984. I'm sure you would agree that Mr. Orwell's intention was to warn us of what the future could look like if we don't pay attention to history and what our government is doing.

Some see 1984 as pure fiction. Those who study 1984 see remnants of the novel in societies and cultures all over the world and yes in the USA as well.

I understand that politics leads to some harsh words, but I think we can agree that there can be political debate (as it relates to 1984) on an academic level.

Stanislaw writes that, "...people are impossible to budge..." I couldn't disagree more. Intelligent, thoughtful people "budge" when they hear or read thoughtful arguments.

The novel demands that each of us take an active role in the direction of our respective countries take. Only when literature is made relevent to the here and now is it truly worthwhile.