Thread: Newspeak

Newspeak

Is newspeak the same thing as the computer jargon used in chatrooms? I must admit that I'm struggling not to use the all the stuff thats used in chats and IM's so is it possable that this new language invented by the minds of lazy children is our future?

I would have to disagree.

Altho there are similarities, the employment of economy of written words (fewer letters for more meaning), for the most part IMs are sent in abbreviations for several words.

Also the intent of the IMspeak (as I shall dub it, now) is only economy of letters. The intent of Newspeak is to limit the amount of thought put into each sentence. To limit the range of ideas that can be chosen to describe something. The reduced size of sentences is a byproduct.

Kurt's quite right, but I wonder whether the paucity of vocabulary used in IM-speak mightn't achieve a similar result simply by limiting the scope of the users' brains to process language.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Kurt's quite right, but I wonder whether the paucity of vocabulary used in IM-speak mightn't achieve a similar result simply by limiting the scope of the users' brains to process language.
    Language and thoughts are very much linked. When we (human beings) come up an idea, a concept, a "thing" we develop words to describe this new things. That is how language developes over the centuries. These words over time expand and then further develop other words. Thus in 1984, to limit words and later abolish the words would eventually lead to the decline of the thinking of ideas, concepts relating to those words. You will be surprise to hear that in the modern Vietnamese dictionary (published in Vietnam) there is no word for humanity. In learning this I was not shock to hear my cousin in Vietnam having no idea what the word humanity means.

Quote Originally Posted by cactus View Post
    Language and thoughts are very much linked. When we (human beings) come up an idea, a concept, a "thing" we develop words to describe this new things. That is how language developes over the centuries. These words over time expand and then further develop other words. Thus in 1984, to limit words and later abolish the words would eventually lead to the decline of the thinking of ideas, concepts relating to those words. You will be surprise to hear that in the modern Vietnamese dictionary (published in Vietnam) there is no word for humanity. In learning this I was not shock to hear my cousin in Vietnam having no idea what the word humanity means.
    its interesting to see how languages take shape like how in hindu there is no word for stress
    shows how a people think and wat they emphasize