Thread: 1984 (Orwell): Has Parsons capture and vaporization changed him

Exclamation 1984 (Orwell): Has Parsons capture and vaporization changed him

Did Parsons character change after he was captured and turned in by his children. How did his view change?

I think he felt that the party was right. That his children did the right thing turning him in. However, did his view change?

Please I need some ideas ;-) .. Anyone
    Last edited by ole32; 11-01-2007 at 09:47 PM.

I don't think Parsons changed at all - he saw what his kids had done as highly admirable. He was terribly confused by it all and being monumentally stupid, probably never understood any of it at any stage.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

his capture shows that his unconsious self hated big brother but he was still the same old big brother lovin parsons he still thought he'd get a fair trail and hoped that they would fix him
    he was also proud of his daughter for turning him in showin that he didnt change at all

I don't think so ...

I don't know if it was possible for any characters to really change if they were truly practising doublethink. He was still proud of his sneaky little offspring in the same way that he was proud when they set a poor fish seller afire! Maybe he was just blathering on in fear?

Also, I think he completely agreed with what the government was doing to him (which is immensely creepy!) and even wished to have his "problem" solved. Throughout the book he refused to argue with anything Big Brother. His character was pretty static.

P.S.: I wonder what happened to Mr. Parsons in Room 101???
    Parsons-->