Thread: what are the characteristics of the modern poetry?????

Cool what are the characteristics of the modern poetry?????

hello,

I searched about the characteristics of the modern poetry and found these characteristics:

Formal characteristics
    Open Form
    Free verse
    Discontinuous narrative
    Juxtaposition
    Intertextuality
    Classical allusions
    Borrowings from other cultures and languages
    Unconventional use of metaphor
    Metanarrative
    Fragmentation
    Multiple narrative points of view (parallax)

[edit] Thematic characteristics
    Breakdown of social norms and cultural sureties
    Dislocation of meaning and sense from its normal context
    Valorization of the despairing individual in the face of an unmanageable future
    Disillusionment
    Rejection of history and the substitution of a mythical past, borrowed without chronology
    Product of the metropolis, of cities and urbanscapes
    Stream of consciousness
    Overwhelming technological changes of the 20th Century

If anyone have another characteristics write them here and we will discuss them together to we benefit

To @ Red Rose @: You have listed here most of the aspects of "modern" or contemporary poetry that I know of. Are you trying to find more? quasi

To @ Red Rose @: You have listed here most of the aspects of "modern" or contemporary poetry that I know of. Are you trying to find more? quasi
    ok I'll try to find more

thanks on passing

Modern poetry

It really depends on whether or not you are talking about modern poetry or modernism. The characteristics you outlined are those of modernism, but Modern poetry is not modernism, nor is it necessarily post-modernism. The strand of contemporary poetry that most Americans and English are familiar with is that influenced by TS Elliot and is quite experimental with not necessarily much form to it at all, pretty similiar to what is being described in the modernist description. The other strand of contemporary poetry is enjoying a slight resurence with its base in Ireland and derived from Yeats, who opposed Elliot, and this form is more traditional.

Basically, i can say you have touched on all the characteristics of Modern Poetry, which of course are characteristics of modernism. What i think you should want to do is to find out how well some modernist poems illustrate these.

Yes. I agree with the reply that modernist poetry and modern poetry are the same thing. One is characterised by certain universal tendencies while the other is do with contemporary tendencies, though they may overlap with each other at times.

Caddy smells like trees caddy_caddy's Avatar
    INTERESTING!

The other strand of contemporary poetry is enjoying a slight resurence with its base in Ireland and derived from Yeats, who opposed Elliot, and this form is more traditional
    Irshmark
    excuse me but would u explain to me how and in what aspects Yeats opposed Eliot???

There are not specific things featuring modern poetry. It is diverse and can not be confined or constricted within literary or theoretical fields

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.