Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesser known books by known authors

Blog Entries

Lesser known books by known authors

When it comes to classical writers often times there will be one or two books that become more or less synonymous with the authors name, and I think sometimes other works by these authors may become overshadowed by the more popularized books. I think often times, people will tend to go and read the books that are most well known, but than not really take the time to look into further work by the author.

So what books by noted authors do you think have not received the recognition that they deserve?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I'm sure I can think of more, but I can only think of one right now.

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. While Steinbeck is mostly known for his longer and more serious novels, this shorter, more lighthearted novel is one of my favorites.
    When the tupelo
    Goes poop-a-lo
    I'll come back to youp-a-lo

- Kilgore Trout

Down and Out in Paris and London, Orwell.
    My mother is a fish.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call Cannery Row unknown by any stretch of the imagination. They even made it into a movie.

Kafka's Parables and Paradoxes which contains aphorisms, parables, etc... not collected in the short stories collections... and his Blue Octavo Notebooks which collect more short writings from private journals.

Dante's La Vita Nuova (The New Life)... well translated by Mark Musa, although I will always love Dante Gabriel Rossetti's marvelous version. A lovely collection of prose and sonnets that sets the satge for the Comedia.

Speaking of Rossetti... he is almost certainly under-rated himself... and especially his marvelous little book, The Early Italian Poets, which contains La Vita Nuova... and other poems by Dante, as well as marvelous translations of Cavalcanti and others. Rossetti honed his skills as a poet through his translations.

Boris Pasternak- My Sister, Life... in the English-speaking world it seems as if Pasternak is known solely for Dr. Zhivago... and yet Pasternak was THE great Russian poet of the century... recognized as such by other poets of such stature as Anna Akhmatova, Marina Tsvetaeva, Osip Mandelstam, and Yevgeny Yevtuschenko. This collection has huge reputation and strikes me... in translation I will admit... as to singing with a crystalline music that reminds me of Rilke.

Baudelaire- The Prose Poems... Les Fleurs du Mal is Baudelaire's central text... deservedly... but don't overlook the prose poems.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Dante's La Vita Nuova (The New Life)... well translated by Mark Musa, although I will always love Dante Gabriel Rossetti's marvelous version. A lovely collection of prose and sonnets that sets the satge for the Comedia.

Speaking of Rossetti... he is almost certainly under-rated himself... and especially his marvelous little book, The Early Italian Poets, which contains La Vita Nuova... and other poems by Dante, as well as marvelous translations of Cavalcanti and others. Rossetti honed his skills as a poet through his translations.
    I love Rossetti

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I wouldn't call Cannery Row unknown by any stretch of the imagination. They even made it into a movie.
    Well no book by a famous author is going to be completely unknown. Especially not one in the 20th century. Most Steinbeck books were made into movies. The question was simply books that have not received the recognition they have deserved. I believe that Cannery Row is one of the best books ever written. I will agree that The Grapes of Wrath is better, but this might be his second greatest book. When people are discussing the best Steinbeck, this one rarely comes up.

And for the record, the movie was actually parts of this book and Sweet Thursday squished together. People who have seen the movie really have no idea what the book is about. I guess that's somewhat normal for movie versions though.
    When the tupelo
    Goes poop-a-lo
    I'll come back to youp-a-lo

- Kilgore Trout

Pierre; or, The Ambiguities by Melville. And it should stay 'lesser known'. Perhaps I shouldn't even have mentioned it. Stay away, dear reader!

Also, you may wish to consider Ugo Foscolo, who does not have nearly a wide enough English speaking audience.
    Last edited by JBI; 08-20-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    I will look up the name and look into some of his work. I always like to be introduced to new things

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    JBI... I was going to ask you if you had read anything by Foscolo. All I've come across in English is his Last Letters of Jacopo Ortis and his poem Of Tombs or Sepulchers.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

I'm using Italian Wikisource, but I am unable to find on Amazon anything but the Last Letters of Jacopo Ortis. Perhaps nothing else exists, which is quite sad really, since he was quite the poet.

Invitation to a Beheading - Nabokov

What a great book, I really liked it. Too bad it's almost never listed as one of his best works.
    Noću, u intimnom, poluglasnom razgovoru sa samim sobom, nikako ne mogu zapravo logički opravdati zašto se u posljednje vrijeme toliko uzrujavam zbog ljudske gluposti.

Miroslav Krleža

Blog Entries
    I do like the titile hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Leabhar View Post
    Down and Out in Paris and London, Orwell.
    good one...it is a really great book.

Those Barren Leaves by Aldous Huxley (he is mainly remembered for Brave New World and his interest in psychedelics, which is a shame beacuse his early stuff, satirising the British upper classes and intelligensia is his best)

Hermann Hesse's 'Knulp' and 'The Prodigy'

Evelyn Waugh: Decline and Fall (imo better than Brideshead Revisited)

The Loved One- Evelyn Waugh
    The Last Tycoon- F Scott Fitzgerald (think gatsby but in hollywood)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast