Thread: a review on william wordsworth poem Anecdote for Fathers

a review on william wordsworth poem Anecdote for Fathers

I wrote this review of the poem and I need you to tell me is it good or bad ??
    I should tell you that I am learning English as a second language
    so please don't be harsh

Anecdote For Fathers
    by william wordsworth

The romantic era was characterized with the need for feelings and emotions in a time where the industrial revolution was happening and humans were becoming more and more depended on machines. Romantic poets made expressing their love for nature and the importance of human relations and connection, and the closeness to god’s creations in nature made it the goal of their poems.

William Wordsworth was one of those a romantic poet. He wrote this poem in 1798 and used it to educate people about children needs, feelings and innocence

The poem describes a conversation between father and son. I noted how the poem was written in colloquial like language very clear and easy to comprehend, that shows William’s desire for the public to understand this poem. The poem begins with the father describing his sons in a way that shows the father’s love feelings toward his son. (And dearly he loves me) the father is also aware of the affection that the son carries for him. After that, the father start describing the surroundings and the conversation he is having with his son (And held such intermitted talk, as we are wont to do). Later the father remembers Kilve’s shore, which used to be their home. However, the memories did not make the father sad quickly he returns to being mesmerized by the beauty of liswyn farm their current resident, which shows the father preference for Liswyn over Kilve’s shore. The father questions his sons about his favorite place (Now tell me had you rather be), (On Kilve’s smooth shore, by the green sea, or here at liswyn farm) the child’s answer is the opposite of the father’s likings, so the father questions his son five times, demanding a realistic objective answer from a child. By doing so the father forgets the innocence and simplicity of children and how they like things “just because” with out trying to analyze their feelings. The child tries to pleas his father and comes up with a reason for his preference for Kilve’s shore over liswyn farm (At Kilve there was no weather-****; And that is the reason why). After his child’s replay, the father realizes that he is taking away his son’s innocence and perfect youthfulness as shown in the beginning: (face is fair and fresh to see; his limbs are cast in beauty’s mould) in an attempt to teach him to be more sophisticated and worldly. Now the father is being taught by his own child, (of what from thee I learn)

You've pretty much nailed it I'd say.
    Mentioned the industrial revolution, the context of the romantic era and how it reflects Wordsworths perspective on the needs of children, nature, etc.

As for the poem summary it sounds good. You could also mention how the boy uses the first thing he sees (the weathervane) to answer his father, as truly, he hasn't got a clue why he might like Liswyn Farm over Kilve. This reflects the childs innocence. You could mention the symbolic meaning of the weathervane aswell maybe? The weathervane is used to show us which way the wind is blowing. You could compare the weathervane and the innocence of the boy as they are both indecisive.

Hope this helps a little

This is what I was looking for!

your summary is pretty good Leena and I think that combined with the explanation offered by Superfabulous gives a beautiful and complete analysis of the poem, exatly what I was looking for, in better words than i had phrased it in my mind. Thank you.